• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sluggish start button/switch

Phang

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Bike: 2009 G8V
Mileage: 11,500 km (~7200 miles)

I thumbed the start button after the usual lights show subsided and it went dead silent. No relay clicking, no starter solenoid thumping and of course no starter motor spinning.

I knew it wasn’t Fuse B (Fuse blows out repeatedly – Griso 8V) as it always associates with a relay clicking or solenoid thumping before the fuse blew. Immediately, I gave the button a second try and the engine started instantly.

I rode to my mate’s place, switched off the engine and restarted it after one minute later, it was fine, it started at the first attempt. We rode to the other end of the island, when I tried to start the bike after a 15 minutes tea break, it took a second push of the start button to start the bike again, first push of the start button gave nothing but a silent response. I refueled the bike on the way back and it started fine with only one push of the start button at the gas station.

I rode the bike in heavy rain a day earlier, my suspect is the start button/switch got wet and the ECU didn’t get a clean grounding signal from the start button as I pressed it. As I do not have the opportunity to check the bike until the coming weekend, I thought I’ll post it here to gather more opinions and wisdoms on this matter.

Thank you in advance :mrgreen:

Phang

I don't know if this is related but both my old G11 and new G8v have regularly had lazy starter buttons. Symptoms were just as you describe. For me the simple fix is to press the kill button & try again. It's almost as if the electronic brain has to be reminded the engine has been cut before it will allow the starter to work again. Without even thinking about it I now habitually press the kill button after the light show. Can someone with more knowledge of the wiring & electronics can explain it?

Hi Will,

It makes sense as the safety/start up logic is govern and control by the ECU. The start button is merely a contact to ground PIN28 of the ECU rather than hard-wiring to a relay. Probably the ECU needs a system reset by disconnecting the battery every X km to clear the bugs :lol:

What I will do in the coming weekend is split up the right switch box and see if I can clean up the contacts and grease it with some Vaseline.

Phang

Cleaning the contacts will certainly help, if that is the problem. But this is not uncommon in all the new models. You would not hear the start relay click even if it did, and in the case of my Norge, rewiring the start relay power feed direct from the battery has prevented this issue from arising again.

Hi Brian, by the time I open up the switchbox during weekend, the water probably evaporated already and likely I won’t be able to replicate the problem again.

My bike is not modified with the direct starter solenoid relay feed cable yet, it may mask the problem if it is caused by a different issue. I’ll keep a close eye on this and update the thread if I have any new finding.

Phang

My 8V does it just like yours, randomly. Scary at first but it always starts(8000 miles)

Back