• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Smell of Petrol

Ray1150

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
All going well with new Stelvio, have done just over 500m, going to visit my brother soon, 250m each way, then that'll be the first service done.

Being lucky enough to have a garage I have noticed that after parking the bike up there is a strong smell of petrol after a while, no pools anywhere, any one else have/had this?

My only other gripe is the time that the revs take to come down after the throttle is backed off, I take it from looking round the forum that this is stepper motor related and I'll put a little petrol tap in the feed from the air filter box to rectify this after the first service.

Any thoughts very welcome. ;)

Normal tank venting? We're not lucky enough in the USA to have tanks that vent normally unless you DIY, (which I've done).
We have a goofy evaporative emissions recovery system that has to be removed and overflow/drain hoses replumbed.

Seriously, check fuel-related connections at fuel injectors and other points. Worse when bike is recently filled up, or any time? Tank pressurizing when sitting (whoosh when opening gas cap)? Most aggravating point for a leak is under the tank at fuel-pump gasket or quick decoupler, as it's a real PITA to remove the tank. Probably the least likely spot,thankfully.

Same problem here, garage is getting kind of rank. Mine is from a tiny weep from the quick disconnect. Not enough to puddle but I can see a wetness on the fitting. I haven't had any desire to dig in to it - probably just leave it for the next warranty visit.

bigtex said:
Same problem here, garage is getting kind of rank. Mine is from a tiny weep from the quick disconnect. Not enough to puddle but I can see a wetness on the fitting. I haven't had any desire to dig in to it - probably just leave it for the next warranty visit.

I thought the fitting was the case with a 750 Breva but the gas only collected at the lowest point. It turned out to be the big rubber gasket for the fuel pump assembly to the tank. I'd check there first. BTW, tightening the gasket didn't work, I ended up replacing it.

Excellent point, I haven't pulled the fairing and the tank, so it could indeed be something like the gasket that would wick down to the fitting.

bigtex said:

Aprilia had issues with the quick disconnects leaking and the bikes going up in flames. I know 1st hand because I had a recall on my Caponord.....after it cooked (damn, I miss that bike). MG uses the same Mickey Mouse plastic connector on the Stelvio as the Aprilia was using on the Caponord and Futura. I would suggest changing to a steel /bronze unit. Plastic does not smell good burning and neither do First Gear Overpants :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

Thank god for the trucker with the fire extingsher that saw me pull over in flames.

I had similar smell on the Norge, particularly when removing the seat. I could see a damp patch on the top of the air box too.
It was a leak from the fuel pump flange but particularly on the bolt heads. I removed each bolt in turn and put some gasket sealant on the thread, then tightened up. Once I had done all of them the leak stopped.

Hey Ray: Fuel was wicking past the gasket/seal under the fuel filler on my tank, would leave a smear of fuel right around the edge of it. Ate the paint on the tank cover right around the filler too. I could smell the fuel when I walked up to the bike in a huge underground garage everyday.
fbc

FrostBittenCanadian said:
Hey Ray: Fuel was wicking past the gasket/seal under the fuel filler on my tank, would leave a smear of fuel right around the edge of it. Ate the paint on the tank cover right around the filler too. I could smell the fuel when I walked up to the bike in a huge underground garage everyday.
fbc

I had the same thing. It eat the paint off around the cap.
The screws that hold down the cap are IMHO a little too long. They bottom out in the holes. I put a thick washer under those four screws to let it 'squeeze' the rubber fill neck a little tighter. Plus I don't fill it as much.

Wayne Orwig said:
fbc

The screws that hold down the cap are IMHO a little too long. They bottom out in the holes. I put a thick washer under those four screws to let it 'squeeze' the rubber fill neck a little tighter. Plus I don't fill it as much.

I shall check this and also watch out for overfilling, I don't think it's normal venting coz the suzuki (sv1000n) doesn't do it.
Thanks

Wayne Orwig said:
fbc

I seem to be in the fuel leak/very strong smell of gas club! And I've had the rippling FBC reported. I notice the smell more when the tank is full, and especially when I'm riding hard, in the city, or on the twisties. So I'm leaning towards the filler hole as referenced above as the culprit. I haven't been able to see any wetness anywhere.

I was hoping one of you kind souls could give me results on your fixes - especially the washers by Wayne, or anyone else who's eliminated the problem! The warranty covered my rippling issue and the top cover has arrived at the dealer, but I'm hoping to eliminate the cause. Not filling up so much is a shame isn't it? Especially with the miniscule tank MG has bestowed on us...

Thanks in advance!

Jesse

famo said:
Wayne Orwig said:
fbc

I seem to be in the fuel leak/very strong smell of gas club! And I've had the rippling FBC reported. I notice the smell more when the tank is full, and especially when I'm riding hard, in the city, or on the twisties. So I'm leaning towards the filler hole as referenced above as the culprit. I haven't been able to see any wetness anywhere.

I was hoping one of you kind souls could give me results on your fixes - especially the washers by Wayne, or anyone else who's eliminated the problem! The warranty covered my rippling issue and the top cover has arrived at the dealer, but I'm hoping to eliminate the cause. Not filling up so much is a shame isn't it? Especially with the miniscule tank MG has bestowed on us...

Thanks in advance!

Jesse

Just last week I was meeting a friend at the shop where I bought the bike and we were going for a ride. He has a V-Strom with a huge gas tank, so I topped off the tiny Stelvio tank just before I met with him.

Too much.

Fuel was dripping off the plastic near the headlights. :eek:

Later when I got home I disassembled it and found that the clamp between the fuel tank and the rubber neck was very loose. Fuel had been just running out on the top of the tank and going everywhere. I hadn't noticed any gas smell. But then I hadn't been over filling it.

Thanks in advance!

Jesse[/quote]

Just last week I was meeting a friend at the shop where I bought the bike and we were going for a ride. He has a V-Strom with a huge gas tank, so I topped off the tiny Stelvio tank just before I met with him.

Too much.

Fuel was dripping off the plastic near the headlights. :eek:

Later when I got home I disassembled it and found that the clamp between the fuel tank and the rubber neck was very loose. Fuel had been just running out on the top of the tank and going everywhere. I hadn't noticed any gas smell. But then I hadn't been over filling it.[/quote]

Ok, I'm going to check that! Thanks very much Wayne!!!! :) When you say disassembled it, do you mean taking the 4 screws off with the filler cap?? Did you ever put washers in? "IMHO the screws are too long" You're lucky it doesn't smell of benzina. When you filled up, did it over flow on the outside of the tank? Or only build up where the 4 screws are? Why couldn't Guzzi have made a decent fuel access port - my Super Duke rocks! I will post a picture of the way it should've been done... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Let me know if you figure anything out - and I'll do the same.

Cheers, Jesse

I'm answering my own post here, but I hope this helps someone down the line... My very strong smell of fuel/benzina/petrol, turned out to be a loose hose connecting the charcoal cannister. It was taken care of by my dealer under warranty, while they were replacing the fuel sender - and the plastic surrounding the gas tank filler hole which had rippled. Helluva sentence huh?

At any rate, I would've loved the satisfaction of finding the source myself, but then again I am an amateur, I might say very, amateur wrencher.

So check your charcoal cannister connections, those of you who still have them... :eek:hmy:

Cheers, Jesse

Back