• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Smog check Bill in SoCal - PLEASE READ/WRITE

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
This comes up every year or so it seems... please do your part:

Smog Check update - to include all year 2000+ bikes

CA State Senator Pavley has introduced Senate Bill 435 which will require Smog Checks for all motorcycles year 2000 or newer! The bill will be heard in about a month, so we need to start writing e-mail/letters to Sen. Pavley (put Oppose SB435 as the subject/on the envelope), and to the Senate Transportation Committee.

Please sign the online Petition HERE --OR-- Direct e-mail link to her HERE (Thanks motolug). SIGN & WRITE... NOW!

Senator Fran Pavley
Capitol Office
(916) 651-4023
Fax: (916) 324-4823
0A
State Capitol, Room 4035
Sacramento, CA 95814

District Office
(310) 441-9084
Fax: (310) 441-0724
10951 West Pico Blvd.,Suite #202
Los Angeles, CA 90064

If Senator Pavley wrote the bill, than she is unlikely to be dissuaded, I would think. Who else is on that committee? Do you know if AMA has set up anything on it?

Snail mail?
Seems like I get some sort of "stop the warmongering, Judeo-Christian, whale-killing, neocon, bird-flu infected, global warming-denying, I can see Russia from my house and gays are gonna teach my kid a-phobes" every couple of days.;)
And all of those have an email that you can blast to your public official.
Now, I don't mind sitting down and writing a nice, old-fashioned letter, but it'll be harder to convince most people (and especially most people who don't ride post-2000 bikes) to do it.
So here's her web page, where you (and hopefully all of your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers and acquaintances) can see what she's all about and all of the other things that she's up to and then click the "contact me" button to leave your comments about all the things that are bugging you.

http://dist23.casen.govoffice.com/

The truly lazy among us can just click this link, which takes you directly to the "leave a comment page."

http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLCMS/ ... trict=SD23

Anyone here able to grab some quick stats as to general CA bike stats along with bike-vs-auto emissions?

I'd like to post a generic letter so that folks could add their name to send off to Mrs. Pavley.

Post below if so, or PM me please.

Unfortunately, the answer to the "why are they picking on us instead of SUVs" can be found in the second paragraph of this EPA pamphlet, and a lot of other mass-media stories have been parroting it.

http://www.epa.gov/OMS/regs/roadbike/420f03046.pdf

Of course, I don't think this takes commute times / general hours driven and numbers of our vehicles compared to SUVs or cars into account (I haven't had time to read the whole report), but I could be wrong.

I wonder if this means that we will see activists burning down motorcycle shops, slashing tires and throwing paint on bikes the way they do to HUMMERs.

Thanks Shane, these are the two things (so far) I have pulled from your linked articles to begin the form letter:

In summary, California shouldn't spend resources to institute motorcycle emission checks/requirements because:

* Motorcycles and scooters comprise only 3.6 percent of registered vehicles in California and 1 percent of vehicle miles traveled.

* If California feels the need to "crack down" on two-wheeled emissions; Non-compliant Chinese all-terrain vehicles, dirt bikes and scooters are shipped into California from China, to the approximate count of 20,000 units each month. Many of them with emissions that are at least 10 times higher than the state requirements. Larger issues such as diesel trucks, construction equipment and non-emissions-compliant products from China need be addressed far prior to the 1% of motorcycle & scooter traveled miles.

I edited the top post with this online Petition HERE -- PLEASE SIGN & WRITE DIRECT to Fran Pavley.

Come on guys, this will be more then a little bit of a nuisance for us all!

I signed even though I live in Washington - but if California does this, then Washington will 'me too it' as quickly as possible.

Can't help, sorry. My bike's intake/exhaust/emissions are all bone stock. What a good boy am I. ;-)

Seriously though, I'm signing it, and everybody on this list needs to sign it too. This legislation is just plain silly, and it's yet another example of cagers sticking it to bikers. This mentality easily cost me a $100K+ in my PI settlement. Total crock.

w

Petition signed. Below is the list of all members of the Senate transportation committee:

Lowenthal (Chair)
Huff (Vice-Chair)
Ashburn
DeSaulnier
Harman
Hollingsworth
Kehoe
Oropeza
Pavley
Simitian
Wolk

Esp if any of these are YOUR State Senator, contact them rather than, or in addition to Pavley, who is obviously going to support her own bill no matter what we say.

We had it here in Tucson. My bikes brought from SoCal had to be tested and also the CL450 I bought here but then the law changed and testing was dropped in this area due to pressure from ABATE http://www.abateofaz.org/ and others. It still is a requirement in the Phoenix area. Just another way to suck cash (tax?) from people.

Like Storm, I signed it because of the "Domino theory".

I find the statistics concerning pollution from bikes compared to cars to be unbeleivable. Motorcycles generally have a much higher horsepower to displacement ratio, which wouild seem to imply greater efficiency. I understand the lack of the catalytic converter would affect the numbers, but the stated comparison seems extreme.

The measurement must be being done on a per cubic inch basis. That would be negated by the difference in displacement. It can't be on a per vehicle basis.

I signed it as well, I thought the EPA definition of useful life was interesting (5 years or 18,000 miles).

Signed.

Something to bear in mind is that contacting Pavley thru her CA Senate website is impossible if you don't live in her district. So look up your own CA Senator and rattle his or her cage! Took me all of 5 extra minutes [including composing the message.]

In my message I pointed out that there were other offenders like heavy trucking, dairy farms or dry cleaners that would have superior results to efforts to decrease emissions, and that this made it clear that motorcycles were being singled out because we are a visible minority & therefore easy pickings. I also included a request that my senator [Mimi Walters] contact the bill's author and let him know her constituency was not amused by further government intrusion into their lives, and that maybe it would be better for our legislators to take a vow of abstinence... from writing more ill-considered legislation until they've got the current mess cleaned up! ;)

Everyone needs to get on this and make a stink with their respective legislator: a silent minority gets sent to the ovens, but a vocal & agitated minority gets listened to!

Just passed by the Senate Transportation Committee. Time to get off your duff & contact YOUR State Senator & Assemblyperson to oppose.

PS to my post just above. Here was my pitch to my Democratic legislators. If they were Republican, I probably wouldn't have made a point that Napolitano is a Democrat:

SB-435, which would require smog testing for motorcycles, would in my opinion be a misplaced waste of time and effort on the part of the legislature, and a senseless burden on motorcycle owners. According to the EPA, motorcycles represent only 3.6% of all vehicle registrations, and an even more miniscule 1% of vehicular mileage. This is no doubt because in most cases these are recreational vehicles used only on weekends, and obviously for much lower mileage than cars. It is also common for motorcyclists to own more than one motorcycle, all of which could be subject to this burden. Therefore it seems clear that the burden per owner could be far greater than any benefit, given the tiny possible percentage in emissions decrease that this might create. California motorcycles are already the cleanest in the nation, and will become even more so in the next few years as already legislated decreases in allowable emissions come in to play.

Only two counties n the entire US, both in Arizona, have even bothered to attempt motorcycle smog testing. One of them has already ended it, and the Arizona legislature, with overwhelming votes from both parties, and signed by then Democratic Governor Napolitano, has voted to end the program entirely, because it is viewed as not worth the trouble. Surely California can look at the numbers and the experience of our neighbor state, and avoid this waste in the first place.

Please contact me with your voting decision in this matter as soon as you come to a conclusion on how you will vote.

Back