• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Solved - Breva 1100 Dash Warning Light/ OIl Pressure Switch

Eagle

Just got it firing!
Hello

Haven't posted here yet so hello, but have been lurking since i got my 05 Breva 1100 a couple of years ago and the info has been invaluable. I have had a couple of the classic Breva problems and wanted to add my experience for the benefit of anyone else in the future : )

First up is the Dash warning light. It started coming on intermittently about a year ago. The ECU errors on the computer showed DSB 07 and 08. Initially the light seemed to come on when I stopped and and parked and then a short while later went to leave, but stopping again and fiddling with the ignition on and off and the immobiliser seemed to cure it after a while.

Over time it got worse until it was on all the time. I did the research and decided to change the oil pressure sensor and followed the instructions I found online.

The hardest part was getting the oil pressure sensor undone in the frame but on purchasing a new open face spanner I managed. This seemed to cure it. However soon the problem was back. When fitting the new sensor I had used a probe from my multimeter to gently push some oil into the hole in the switch to make sure it didn't have an air bubble in it once fitted. I began to wonder if I had damaged the switch, or if I had got a bad one, or if there was a wiring problem. The endless possibilities!

Anyway, I chewed things over for a while, stressing out about how to trace the fault. Randomly a couple of months ago after trying all sorts of things to isolate the problem - all sorts of esoteric startup/shut down procedures - on side stand, off side stand, hot, cold etc (because I had changed the oil and didn't fill the oil filter being a noob and wondering if this was somehow contributing to lower oil pressure, also because I used the correct oil, not what they use at the dealer I bought it from and I was wondering if being in Scotland the Guzzi oil was just too thick due to the colder climate)

he reason for all this was I had noticed on really hot days the problem didn't manifest. Anyway, one day I was looking the bike over and noticed the lead to the oil switch was very close to the cylinders and not wanting it to get damaged got a long screwdriver and prodded the end cap and cable to move it out of the way - Lo and sodding behold the damn thing was not seated very well. I unceremoniously squashed it into place with my trusty flat-head and added a few prods for good measure. Bingo. Problem solved and has never returned.

I cannot say how happy and how mad this made me!

3 months later, not a flicker on that "@%$^ red dash light. I now wonder if the switch needed replaced at all!
If it was the wire that would explain why it used to happen when stopping (onto side stand, engage steering lock) and why all the fiddling would sometimes sort it because I was undoubtedly jiggling the cable about. Also the thing with it disappearing in the heat was probably due to the increased flexibility of the plastic conduit allowing the springiness of the cable to twist the connection on better.

Hopefully other can learn from my frustrations!

Regards

Mark

Re: Solved - Breva 1100 Dash Warning Light/ OIl Pressure Swi

Very similar to the neutral switch issue I had - bit of a dodgy connection.

But having said that, the dash red light does throw up many more possibilities so it's good to know.

It's nice popping in here to learn something without getting my fingers dirty :D

From a fellow Breva owner :D

thanks for the post Mark. My B11 constantly has the 07 trouble code for about a month now. I'll try to improve the contact before I replace the oil pressure sensor. Looks like the alternator has to come out to get to the switch

Anyone know what the wire terminal looks like? the terminal on the sensor is different from the old loop/tonti sensors. They should have stuck with the bullet terminal..

Good stuff, I replaced mine and about 3 months in it start playing up again - even though I get lots of attention to the electrical connection in the process. ended up crimping the spade connector for the oil switch so it would barely go on teh terminal - but it did - gentle persuasion used here.

problem has not been seen since.

The original sensors were dodgy or developed "dodginess" and they need replacing eventually. I found the bast way to get to the sensor was to remove the tank and the airbox - still not good access, but adequate - didn't remove alternator. While you are in there, do the inner plugs, a add a bit of "neverseez" to the plug thread. These should be changed every 30,000 km (according to the manual) but should last 100,000 km or more. it doesn't matter if they are not due - if you are in there do it!

Same problem on my 1200 ...my fix .....start the engine ASAP , before the check sequence has a chance to finish.....no red triangle whoopeee

Oz1200Guzzi said:
I found the bast way to get to the sensor was to remove the tank and the airbox - still not good access, but adequate - didn't remove alternator.

Well, I've let my service light go long enough, but the last time I had the air box out for typical service I could not get an open ended wrench to loosen the oil sensor. Tony, what was the trick. Which tool did you use? Also, can't find a PN for the washer the parts manual shows only one number for both the washer and sensor but no washer in the the bag with the sensor. But found one from the 1200 Sport PN 95008210 hope this works. Sensor number are different though.

And finally, what does the electrical terminal look like? Not sure what to pinch since I can't see a damn thing. The terminal cover has hardened and can't move it. Don't want to break any thing. The sensor has a groove cut into the post where the terminal attaches - seems like it would have to be some sort of spring clip.

thanks for any help.

Rafael,

I have multiple sets of sockets gathered over many years - I ended up using a short one I had (think it was imperial but fitted tight) and use a uni joint straight on the socket and a long 1/2" drive extension till I could use a ratchet. Go slow and it should work - when the switch is loose, remove the socket and use your fingers.

The electrical connection is on top of the switch - the fact that the terminal cover has hardened indicates that the terminal (inside the cover) is probably also suspect. Squash the innards with long nose pliers, but not so far that you can't get it back on the terminal. If pushing it on is tight, that is good - less likely to move and cause issues in the future.

First, thanks to Eagle for posting the original message.

I had been getting DSB-07 and DSB-08 error messages too. I bought a new sensor but then remembered your post, and tried tightening the connection instead of installing the new unit. This has solved the problem, at least during my recent 2400-mile trip!

The connection on the top of the sensor is in my opinion a bad setup. Pushing back the cover at the end of the wire, you see what looks like a common spade connector, as shown here:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/crl-sol...iLIBDICNw2jFB1rJdt7LmcnxjqwDdRjVNrIu5OSvD_BwE

Vibration must cause this connector to rock back and forth on the mushroom-shaped contact on the top of the sensor, loosening the former. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a specially-designed connector that would work better on the contact. In any case, I used needle-nose pliers to tighten up the connector and then slid it back on, as you suggested.

I understand how a loose connection would generate error DSB 07 (no ground connection when the engine is stopped), but not error DSB 08 (an unwanted ground when the engine is over 2000 rpm). But so far neither error code has returned.

As for the washer needed to replace the sensor (which I didn't do), MGCycle recommends a standard 12mm aluminum seal washer, part no. 12006400. They sell them for $0.48 (with a $10 minimum order), or you could pick one up an auto parts store I suppose.

Big thanks.

Moto

Unfortunately Android's problem was not due to the switch, or contact, it was down to a knackered oil pump, result, new crankshaft, and lots more. Late crankshafts are nitrided, so cannot be reground. Such is progress.

Moral of the story, never just assume it's the switch.

Brian UK said:
Unfortunately Android's problem was not due to the switch, or contact, it was down to a knackered oil pump, result, new crankshaft, and lots more. Late crankshafts are nitrided, so cannot be reground. Such is progress.

Moral of the story, never just assume it's the switch.

Excellent point. I'm certainly going to be looking for any repetition of DSB-08.

I wonder if anyone has fitted an oil pressure gauge to a Griso (or Breva). EDIT: A search shows the answer is "yes."

Had faulty sensor, not faulty connection

I too had the problem of dashboard error code 07, firstly intermittent and then finally constant. I checked the connection and it was loose so tightened it up with a pair of pliers and deleted the errors in the diagnostics (select Mode on the left hand switch block, click the button at the front of the left switch block till you get Menu, then Diagnostics, enter 36421 code for 1200 Sport, then Remove Errors).

But the error code problem did not go away with the red triangle and Service message remaining constantly on despite several times to clear the errors.

I decided to replace the sensor, but used the older post type sensor that also had the M12 x 1.5 thread. The post type sensor sticks up a little further than the original sensor on my 1200 Sport and I had to put a kink in the attaching connector to avoid rubbing on the alternator mount. You will need a 21mm spanner as it is would be difficult to get a socket on it. Sensor should be mounted with 45nm (33 ftlbs) of torque.

But so far so good. The 07 dashboard error is now gone, although I still get the service message for an unrelated problem with my key.

Attachments

• OMD80364.JPG
    OMD80364.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 175
  • OMD50383.JPG
    OMD50383.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • OMD50385.JPG
    OMD50385.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 139

Oz1200Guzzi said:
Rafael,

I have multiple sets of sockets gathered over many years - I ended up using a short one I had (think it was imperial but fitted tight) and use a uni joint straight on the socket and a long 1/2" drive extension till I could use a ratchet. Go slow and it should work - when the switch is loose, remove the socket and use your fingers.

The electrical connection is on top of the switch - the fact that the terminal cover has hardened indicates that the terminal (inside the cover) is probably also suspect. Squash the innards with long nose pliers, but not so far that you can't get it back on the terminal. If pushing it on is tight, that is good - less likely to move and cause issues in the future.

thanks Tony, I'll give it a shot. I have a scheduled tune up coming up soon. It just seemed so tight in there. I'm imagining that you approach standing towards the rear reaching forward What ever it is, I know now it can be done..

Moto, thanks for the pic of the terminal. Weird set up. I think the old female bullet connector was better. I think they wanted a 90 degree connection.

Back