• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Speedo drive ratio - Le Mans 1000

figaro

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just a quick one, can anyone tell me what the speedo drive ratio is for guzzi speedos, and what other bikes share the same ratio? I'm looking to replace my dash with something smaller, so need to find a speedo from another bike with the same ratio.

figaro said:
Just a quick one, can anyone tell me what the speedo drive ratio is for guzzi speedos, and what other bikes share the same ratio? I'm looking to replace my dash with something smaller, so need to find a speedo from another bike with the same ratio.

Any of the 850 or 1000 Guzzis use the same ratio. The ratio changed with the 1100s.

I know that much, but I want to use a speedo from a completely different bike, say a Honda or Yamaha, so I need to match the speedo drive ratios. The Guzzi speedos are absolutely useless at their primary function of telling you how fast you're going... :dry:

Sorry, I'll try to make myself clearer in future. I want to change the whole dash console, the stock one looks hideous to me and the speedo over-reads wildly - I've seen 160mph on the clock just cruising down the motorway...

But due to lack of funds I'm having to look at secondhand instruments, and I'm trying to find out what other bikes have the same speedo drive ratio as the guzzi. I've seen a set of clocks from a Suzuki GS500E that would be perfect, but if the Suzuki's drive ratio is different there'd be no point me buying them.

I know for a fact that the std 750/850/1000 Vague Liar speedo has a ratio of 1 revolution per metre.
I f you have a talented instrument place and they have enough spares they can change the internal ratios of the speedo to suit the drive.
I had this done with smiths speedo on Norton ,it was changed to suit a speedo drive on the Yamaha front wheel I was using.

What about using an electronic speedo/tach/dash panel such as an Acewell.?Nice and compact,no cables to worry about.They have a number of different models to choose from.

Save yourself a lot of headaches trying to find the speedo to match the drive on the Guzzi.
Brett

Yep, I've found a couple of cheap electronic displays on ebay, and it would appear they'd be easier to sort out. Shame though, I was kind of hoping to keep a more traditional look, but it sounds like it's gonna be a pain in the ass just trying to work out which speedos I can consider.

No that I've sorted most of the real problems on my SP, I started thinking about the speedo and odometer, which has always read about 10% high. Obviously, if the odo reads high, the gearing is wacko. I remembered looking at Palo Alto Speedo's webpage, which suggested disconnecting the cable and driving a known distance while counting turns by observing a piece of tape stuck like a flag on the end of the cable.

I figured I'd have a hard time with that. So I hooked up a long rubber band, and taped it to the windshield. I have a bicycle computer on the bike, which is dialed in using GPS and milemarkers. Drove 0.05 mi accoding to that, and counted the turns to unwind.

I came up with 95turns /0.05mi, with stock tire size.That distance works out to about 80.5 meters. Now that I know that I'll talk to them again and maybe send it in for a winter vacation.

Mine overreads horrendously - according to the lying bastard my '88 Le Mans is still accelerating at 160mph...

So it sounds like the speedo section of yours is just plain stuck? Does the odometer seem accurate? Mine has been consistently off the same amount the whole time I've had the bike.

On these old analog units, the speedo can get messed up even if the gearing is correct. Haven't looked inside a Veglia, but most auto types use a magnet and vane thing where eddy currents get induced in the vane. No real idea how they adjust them, maybe a spring bias?

A friend of mine restored a Ducati 750GT, and his speedo was reading high. He sent it in and it was returned with a large print "grease warning!". He said there is a zerk fitting on the front wheel speedo drive box, and he had put his grease gun on it and without thinking, pumped it full and then some,driving grease all the way up the cable into the clock. Bit of a hoot there.

My speedo seems to become more and more inaccurate the faster I go. At maybe 50mph it is 10 or so mph over, but but the time I hit the ton the speedo is off into cloud cuckoo land - I've seen 160mph on it when I reckon I was doing around the ton.

But I want to change it for aesthetic reasons too, I'm ripping the whole dash out, keeping the rev counter, and making an alloy bracket to house it and a small speedo (if I can find one) and some idiot lights. The way it's going at the moment though, I reckon I'll end up with a digital console. Not what I want, but it may just be the easiest way.

Back