• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starter Motor problem

Mark Shelley

Just got it firing!
My 1978 T3 California has developed a starter problem.
I guess the first indication was yesterday when I took it for a spin. The first time I pressed the starter absoultely nothing happened. The second press started it as usual.
Today I rode it to work and it started fine first thing this morning. I went to start it at lunchtime and the starter was whirring away, but not turning the engine over. I got a push and she fired up straight away so I rode it home while I had teh chance and came back on my XTZ660. When I arrived home at lunchtime I tried the starter and it worked fine.
I had a similar thing on my old MGB years ago and it was a sticking solenoid. Is that the problem here and what should I try to remedy it?

I guess the starter motor has the solenoid sitting on top, like on a T3 / LM1 / LM2 ???

The Solenoid has the high power heavy duty cable coming in direct from the battery positive terminal with a bolted down banjo connector.

And there is a spade terminal on the solenoid that powers the solenoid when the starter button is pushed.

If all that is tru I suggest you elimiate the problem that might exist in the wiring from the starter button.

Take a cable from the battery positive terminal and connect that directly to the low power spade connector on the solenoid. If the motor spins like it should every time you do that then the problem is in the starter button side of the circuit.

If the jumped lead connection makes no difference then you know the problem is the solenoid, or even the starter motor

Geoff

Sorry
Read your first message too quick. I thought you said you had an 850T, not a T3.
As you have a T3 then my description of the Solenoid arrangement sitting on top of the starter motor is 100% correct, and the elimination procedure I suggest is 100% appropriate.

When you press the starter button and nothing at all happens do you hear a click from the relay that sits beside the rear / linked brake master cylinder?

Geoff

Thanks Geoff.
Can I use a car jump lead for this test, and should I do it with the ignition off so it doesn`t actually fire up?

Mark,

From you first post you had the starter turning, but not engaging the flywheel. Remove the starter and remove the solenoid. Clean the mechanism that engages the ring gear. Or you could just take it to a starter shop where you live and let them rebuild it, it is over 30 years old and it wouldn't hurt. You may also have an electrical gremlin when you pressed the button and nothing happened which may be the starter button not providing a good ground for the starter relay or the starter relay itself. These relays are easily replaced on the T3 with a standard 30 amp automotive relay. The numbering on the standard relay is the same as the original Guzzi relay.

When I suggest you jump power to the spade terminal on the solenoid this is a low power (about the same as a horn) draw. You do not need a car jump lead. Just a bit of noormal flex.

This suggestion was in response to your statement

I guess the first indication was yesterday when I took it for a spin. The first time I pressed the starter absoultely nothing happened. The second press started it as usual.
UNQUOTE

I would do this with the Ignition on. Gives you a nice emergency cable to start the bike with if it lets you down again.

Starter motor spinning but not engaging could be flat(ish) battery or solenoid.
I suggest you look at the first problem (low power stater switch circuit) first.
Then consider the state of your battery
And only then think about solenoid and starter motor itself

In other words pick off the loew hanging fruit first!

Geoff

That sounds like a plan, At least it will save me having to bump it. I would hate to drop it!

Hey all ya'all

Had a similar symptom on my Eldo. Intermit wouldn't engage, sometimes the dreaded click click click, sometimes nada.
Check battery and cables etc. All copastetic.
It was that 6mm or so screw that is used as a pivot pin for the bendix.
In the diagram below, Valeo uses a pin I guess. The Eldo starter I have usues a 6mm bolt with a nut that came loose.

valeo.jpg

Good luck.

Alex

Back