• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starter Removal advice - got any?

jturquette

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey all. I have installed the GT y-pipe for my Breva 11100 (2007). One thing I noticed was a the O2 sensor wiring was too short for the sensor to be installed in the new location on the new y-pipe. I was able to coax some more wire out, but the wire is tight. Todd (GT legendary moderator) suggested removing the starter motor and snipping the zip tie on the O2 sensor to give a little more play. looking for any advice or pictures or threads with picture that discuss the start removal. Todd mentioned it's just two bolts, but the devil is in the details. It's the little "quirky" things that tend to bite you. For example, not realizing the hex head machined screw is aluminum and stripping the head off (already did that twice on two separate occasions!)

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

There really is not any devil in the details here. The starter motor is just held on with two heavy duty steel bolts. Put a wrench on there that fits and undo them. Other than making sure you tighten them back up good and tight.....
It is really easy.

Just one devil......disconnect the battery before you try to remove the starter.......although the light show is pretty when you short out the positive lead to the frame, the damage is not worth it...;)

Actually, either battery terminal disconnect will make the battery inoperative. I make the habit of connecting/disconnecting the negative first, which means any chance of a short to the frame from my tools when connecting/disconnecting the positive is eliminated. Of course a short to the frame when connecting/disconnecting the negative is harmless.

Actually, either battery terminal disconnect will make the battery inoperative. I make the habit of connecting/disconnecting the negative first, which means any chance of a short to the frame from my tools when connecting/disconnecting the positive is eliminated. Of course a short to the frame when connecting/disconnecting the negative is harmless.
thank you!

So the starter removal and re-installation went by really easily. Thank you for all the advice.

In case anyone "accidently" strips the head off the starter cover mounting stud. I found a temporary solution. The mounting stud (top) is aluminum. A small allen head screw runs through the starter cover and mounts into female threads in the stud head. I used a longer screw (pictured with bag information) and 4-5 washers to make sure I have good contact for the negative cables that mount using the threaded stud,

IMG 2318

the new screw runs through the mounting flange that will mount through starter cover.
IMG 2320

then put the washers on the screw
IMG 2321

this is the mounting location for the new screw. see the cable hanging down (there are two, one is behind the other). The screw runs through and into the mounting location, an gives ground to these cables.
IMG 2319

I have a new OEM mounting stud coming in the mail.

I hope these pictures help some one.

Back