• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starting issue

kwn306

High Miler
Ever since the weather has warm up unexpectantly my Stelvio doesn't like to start. This time of year in Virginia the morning temps should be in the high 30's to high 40's at 5 AM, for the last three mornings the temps have been in the mid 60's to low 70's with day time highs in the low 90's, normal is low to mid 60's.

The bike turns over fine and attempts to start, I have to tweek the throttle just a bit for the motor to catch, otherwise it never really gets going and the starter is engaging and disengaging while the motor attempts to fire. I know the starter is not happy doing this. Once the bike starts, it runs fine for the rest of the day.

Now, I'm right close to needing the 12K service. I purchased a VDTS from Todd for Xmas (I'm not a very PC friendly person) but haven't loaded the program into my wife's old lap top, I'm on a tin can and string connection (live in the country) so the updates might take a year or to to complete.

Would / does this issue sound like a TPS issue or something else? What makes the TPS change anyhow? Please don't say plugs as $20/each really hurts the pocket and these plugs should go way past 6K miles according to NGK.

The bike did sit from 12/22 till two weeks ago when the doctor gave my wife the go ahead to start riding passenger again since she broke her leg in the 1st big snow before Xmas. She now has a 7" piece of SS and 7 screws holding her right leg together.

I use this bike as a commuter, 145 miles a day, 90% of the driving is done at 75 mph up and down the super slab. I have put 1900 miles on the bike in the last 8 days, after sitting for so long it fired off at the turn of the key and hitting the starter button only once. I did use Stabel in the fuel once I determind the bike wasn't going to be used for a while.

Also, could someone either post or send me a picture of the adjustment screws "not" to touch and the ones "to" touch (adjust) on the throttle bodies to sync them with a vacuum gauge.........I don't want to twist the wrong thing :eek:hmy:

Thought's / suggestions?

A couple of months ago mine refused to start when hot.
It would start easily when cold. It would run perfectly when hot or cold. But if I stopped for gas, there was a good chance it would not start. we spent a lot of time sitting in gas stations hoping the battery didn't die. I even stopped on a mountain top overlook once and couldn't restart. I bump started it going down the hill and that took a very very long distance. I thought I was stuck there.
Just for grins, I replaced the spark plug caps. That appears to have fixed it.
When the cam update was done, it included new spark plug caps. We didn't install the new ones and I just tossed them on the work bench.
The old caps have three sealing 'rings' around the top. The new ones have two rings.

Maybe worth checking.

BTW, use compressed air to clean out around the sprark plugs before you remove them. There is a large opening that lets bugs and grit in from the front of the head right to the plugs and it accumulates around the spark plug.

Wayne,

Both of my plug caps and high tension leads were replaced 4K miles ago. I had the same issues you were having, it would start cold but would not start when it was hot.

My dealer had the bike for a week trying to figure out the problem, finally they turned all the lights off in the shop and they saw the plug caps and wiring firing on the valve covers rather than the plugs when the bike was hot. The issue wasn't viewable on a cold start condition.

I have not touched them since they were installed either.

Thanks for the idea about compressed air and the dirt / grime that gathers in the spark plug wells. :D

Funny you posted this... have you figured out what was wrong yet?
Yesterday my Griso had the same problem as you decribe, I have 4100 miles on it. It wants to start but keeps failing unless I tweak the throttle and then it eventually starts. Once warmed up it runs fine and will re start with no issues but if I leave it for an hour I get a repeat of the problem...

I am under warranty so I will take it in for service, I've developed another issue as well, leaking under the bike when parked. I noticed the filter had oil drips on it but it seemed tight by hand. The leak happened again, a few quarter sized drops each time I park it for the night. The oil is still between the two marks on the dip stick but I need to have this looked after...

vivo

Brian UK said:
These symptoms are exactly what you get if you have turned off the air supply to the stepper motor on a cold start.

OK Brian, what would cause this with condition on a bike that does not have any modifications to the stepper motor or its circuit?

My Griso starting problem disappeared as soon as I put new gas in. I suspect the fuel a bought time before was crap. It's all perfect again... forgot to post it...

vivo

Once again. NGK SBO5E plug cals are cheap and get rid of the problems associated with the original, less than bulletproof, items.

Pete

PS WAyne was quite right, as usual, there is a cast tunnel into the plug well.

Back