• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Startus interruptus - a new twist on an old problem

Mackers

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Left my Breva 1100 unridden for 3 weeks, got kitted up early to beat the forecast 39C day. Thought it probably wouldn't start but I'm an optimist.

Turned the key ON and received the red "triangle of death". That's never happened before. Ignored it and pressed the starter. The bike fired up like a champ but still displayed the red triangle. Restarted several times to see if the fault would clear. Nope.

Went inside and unkitted - it was warming up - and found my copy of error codes. Went back to the bike, turned it ON - no triangle of death!

Pressed starter and no start! Got a "choonk" from the starter motor. Tried again but same result. (This is typical if I leave the bike for a few weeks not on the charger. I fitted the MPH solution years ago which got rid of the relay click problem).

Checked the ECU error codes - none active, none in memory. (Some old dashboard errors present that never clear.)

It's almost as if the original error was saying that it couldn't do a voltage check, and so allowed the starting system to operate.

Anyway, the Guzzi is on the charger - and it's too hot to ride. Any views as to what happened?

Usually, the red triangle of death appears at turn on, because the oil pressure sensor switch is open. Sometimes they jam before they close the contacts.

Try running the motor for about 30 seconds (as long as you're confident there isn't an oil pressure problem), switch off, wait a few seconds and try again. There's every chance it would have cleared (but will appear again).

Changing out the oil pressure switch for a new one, doesn't always fix the problem, like there's an inherent fault in these damn things.

My $0.02¢.

gremlins - not supposed to add water remember...

Generally, I find the connector to the oil pressure switch the most often culprit (for the red triangle - you can start the bike before the instruments have done their sweep and you might not get the triangle). I unscrewed mine and put on a standard 1/4" quick connect lug and no more problems of this sort.

I am pretty sure this problem and startus interruptus should not be related, but hey, these beasts are Italian and who knows what design features are built in.

Currently lows 30s here with much more to come today and the next week. Summer eh? If you don't get up and at em early, you stew in your own juices.

Reminds me of when I used to road race - lined up on the starting grid at Oran Park, bitumen melting, full leathers and we had to wait for the ambulance to return to the track after an earlier incident. Couldn't get off the bike as it didn't have a stand of any sort. Eventually someone had the bright idea of going back to the pits to sit in the shade until the ambulance came back. Can't remember the race, brain was fried - didn't die though, that's for sure!

Good info on the oil pressure switch. And glad ya didn't fry OZ:whew:.

Peaked at 40.7! About to ride home and it's dropped to 39.5 - love this cool weather...

Back