• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Steering Bearing done after 17k miles / 9 months

Louis C. Oberlander

Just got it firing!
It locks when going straight and when lift the front wheel you can clearly feel the spot where it hangs.

Hasn't been touched or re-torqued by me (not sure what the dealer did at the 5k inspection (Todd, or you during the 8k one?)

Either way, when I asked my Guzzi Dealer the other day whether they could take care of it under warranty they said that 'the computer says it is not covered under warranty bc it is 'wear & tear'...and that that's pretty much where the conversation ended.

Kinda upset about their reply and the fact that it seems a premature failure imo.

Isn't EVERYthing technically wear & tear? Why are the steering bearings excluded from that?

Any ideas? opinions? What should I do?

PS: the battery died (As in DIED) out of the blue a while ago. I took the bike in and they replaced the battery with a new one without finding out WHY it had died and I had to pay the whole procdure bc I was 6 days past the 6-Month warranty for the battery... seriously? separate warranty times? and no checking on WHY the battery died out of the blue in the first place?

Hi Louis, so I think you will find many dissatisfied customers for most dealers. While I am not defending them in any way, as I personally have been bitten a few times recently myself; The U.S. has very different (relaxed) enforcement for service items on Powersport vehicles, opposite what you are likely used to in Europe (and certainly different from the auto industry here).
Since this is your first bike, it's worthy of note here... (unless you told them) Your off-road Baja trip is likely the culprit for likely causing failure on both of these items. The bike was not designed for this type of duty, so other items may go south soon too from those type of excursions. Just FYI.
Batteries generally aren't warranty covered as Guzzi (smartly!?) recognizes that they have a short life span, and are often abused, as they themselves continue to ignore the over-charging scenario for the '13-15 V7s. Yours may have failed internally from excessive shaking off-road (perhaps), or possibly even terminal connection failure to the plates.
Every one of my newer small blocks had their batteries expire in a very short timeline (two within a month, one within weeks). My bet is that they were rushed into service incorrectly. I just purchased new batteries for my bikes, and did it myself.
We checked your charging, and that was good.
For the headset bearings, I'll check our notes, but it sounds like Sean just missed them, as they were not on the list I'm sure he'll say. No excuse though, sorry. We would've sent you to P.I. anyway for them under warranty. Dealers often just eat their labor in scenarios like this, at least the good ones do. Bearings are fairly cheap.
All said, do know that a Guzzi warranty is barely worth the paper it is written on. Guzzis are generally are pretty bullet-proof outside of some (rare) poor quality control issues and cheapening supplier parts.
My advice is to just fix it and move on. Happy to be of help with the bearings. Hope that helps some. I'm on your side.

Back