• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

stelvio cam help

charlietuned

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello,
this is the first time that i have written on this forum, and , to be quite honest, i am a computer moron!
So, here goes, As a South African, i am not very bright, but, i need someone to explain to me , slowly and loudly , so that i can understand!
I am the proud owner of a late 2011 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, the only one in the country,which cost me 3 times what i paid for my average size house [O.K. i bought the house 22 years ago, but still!] :D
I have been reading about cam/follower problems, Another problem is that there are no Guzzi agents in S.A.
I am trying to establish whether she has standard cam followers or roller type cam followers
I took the tappet [valve] cover off in the hopes of being able to see whether they were standard or roller but could not, without removing the cam box
the workshop manual seems to show standard cam followers but the parts manual [2011=2012] shows roller type cam followers
So what Is it?,can anybody advise me
Also, can i expect camshaft/follower problems from my, well maintained and gently ridden pride and joy? ;)
thanks ,in anticipation
Charlie

Changes to valve gear?

Does anyone here know for sure whether Guzzi made any changes to the valve gear on the 2011 (2012 US) Stelvios? I am interested as to whether they have made changes to address the 8 valve problems,as I have heard different rumours as to whether or not they went to a roller tappet design,or oil pump changes etc.I know Pete Roper is having a holliday from this site,but perhaps someone else has a definetive answer on this.

Re: Changes to valve gear?

I have a 2011 NTX, i was told that 2011 AC motors have Roller Followers and shouldn't have any problems.

This i found out during a survey carried out by Moto Guzzi club UK, all on the issue of cam problems.

Hope this helps.
Marshy.

What is the engine type?
This is the Ax in front of the engine number on the bottom LHS.
The x can be 5,7,9 or C thigh 7 usually is only found on 1200 Sports.
That's always a clue to what's afoot.
Gordon

so, with my engine number being AC011909, i have roller cams? what would the other changes be? I have read that there was also a oil pump redesign?
thanks
charlie in south africa with the only stelvio here!

I have a similar model to you, I understand that the latest AC numbered engine has roller tappets which should prove to be more reliable than those fitted to previous models, I'm unsure about other mods.
I would be tempted to change the engine oil more frequently than suggested in the service schedule as these engines run very hot and could give the oil a hard time. On my previous stelvio I changed it twice a year.

fatal said:
...these engines run very hot and could give the oil a hard time.
As Pete would probable post, the oil is extensively used to cool the exhaust side of the heads through the secondary oil circulation-cooling circuit so it is absolutely crucial to be maintained up to spec. The engine is of air-oil cooled design - not just air cooled like the older ones. The oil in the 8V is not just an added layer of cooling but is the main cooling medium of the exhaust head side.

Re: Changes to valve gear?

I woudl be extremely surprised if you have any such problem - that's the third, at least, revision to the cams system and the AC motors have bigger oil flow holes in the head to improve cooling.
Gordon

As I posted elsewhere on the forum. the AC motors have bigger oil ways to the cams and heads to improve cooling.Yes too, oil pump redesign to improve flow and reliability.
Gordon

...Can the roller followers be used on Stelvio engines of previous design?.Can the new oil pumps be installed? Can the oil passages be enlarged? Would a larger oil cooler be of any use?...

There are no rollers in any Stelvio! Anyone who told you so, isn't trustworthy. If there are, I need to see the first picture showing them. The AC engines don't have them

Well there has been talk upon this "rollergate" here ( https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/196/1431.html?p=54880 ) but the pdf this

rollerbearing.jpg

came from may be a hoax or a not yet produced version leaked by mistake.
Rollers portrayed on a sketch pdf is another thing than real life parts & photos.

Myself, I believe they begun moving in redesigning and maybe even recalling but maybe some accountant cried "too expensive" and pulled the plug, maybe.

charlietuned said:
SO, NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE, WHY HAS THE FACTORY NOT STEPPED IN AND INFORMED EVERYBODY AS TO WHATS WHAT,, ?? THIS IS NOT DOING THE GUZZI REPUTATION ANY GOOD!!!!

are you just bashing around or do you also have something to contribute to this issue ?

ferdi said:
charlietuned said:
SO, NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE, WHY HAS THE FACTORY NOT STEPPED IN AND INFORMED EVERYBODY AS TO WHATS WHAT,, ?? THIS IS NOT DOING THE GUZZI REPUTATION ANY GOOD!!!!

are you just bashing around or do you also have something to contribute to this issue ?

I think he is just looking for a definitive answer to: Do the roller followers exist or not? There is so much contradictory information it seems no one knows for sure.

ferdi said:
charlietuned said:

I started this post to try to find out whether to expect problems from my stelvio cams. I am in south Africa and as such ,I do not have recourse to a local agent and intend to do long trips in out of the way places. I own 7 moto guzzis of various years and sizes, and do not "bash arround" . all i want are answers, which surely , the factory is able to provide!!

charlietuned said:
ferdi said:
charlietuned said:

I started this post to try to find out whether to expect problems from my stelvio cams. I am in south Africa and as such ,I do not have recourse to a local agent and intend to do long trips in out of the way places. I own 7 moto guzzis of various years and sizes, and do not "bash arround" . all i want are answers, which surely , the factory is able to provide!!

but here is not the factory - here is a users-forum.

as Paul has already written - there is no one guzzi with roller followers

Back