RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Welcome to the GT Forum! GuzziTech is now back to our origins; We hope you enjoy the Guzzi Global Community Forum here. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com - Store tab above. You need a different username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation with several business going at once - Sign into the Store to check on orders before contacting us. Thanks for your patience on orders. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000~2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Stelvio Dead-

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by racer-7, May 14, 2019.

1. racer-7

racer-7 Just got it firing! GT Site Contributor!

It had been sitting for a while. When I started it it sounded missing (misfiring), but would come back to full 2 ignition, (as if it needed to clear something out). I keep at it until finally it cleared, whatever that was. rode it for 120 miles. Then another day tried running it same thing but this time alot of back firing also. This time like an idiot I kept playing with it until it stopped running all together. Now it wont start at all. At one time MPH Cycle in Dallas had called it in for some recall. But not sure if it was roller tappets. I will find out tonight if its rollers or flat tappets. The fuel is at the lowest mark I don't know if its fuel either. will put fresh fuel and try to strart again to eliminate low fuel cause. I don't understand why it would run like that.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

How long is "sitting for a while"?

3. racer-7

Yes. a year at least!

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Start with the simple ones you’ll find on a search here... spark plug caps. If they are the original, almost count on them having been damaged and arc’ing to the heads. From there it could be deeper like clogged injectors, and the list goes on from there. Start with a solid service.

5. racer-7

Tried taking the rocker arm support off to see if its rollers or not and couldn't. Does the timing chain need to come off?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  6. racer-7

Good advice. My triumph had its spark plug boot cracked and would arc with1000 miles on it.

7. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

You don't need to take the cam box off to see. Look at the threads on rollerizing the bike. How far are you from Houston? MPH still services Guzzis and may be your best bet.

8. racer-7

Hi John
    I did search but can't find how to tell if its rollerized without disassembly. I did find a thread that goes over the process of how to convert to rollers. Houston is 3-4 hour away.
    Thanks,
    Gary

9. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member