• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio Exhaust

nigelm

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi, the standard exhaust has a matt aluminium/steel finish. What is the best way of getting the baked on crap off?
Previous bikes had polished s steel finish so solvol and steel wool worked but worried this will destroy matt finish.
Thanks, Nigel.

Nigel, just a good cleaner (perhaps a wheel cleaner: clear-coat type) or here we have Bug & Tar or Goo-Gone, etc. If all fails, there's always WD-40.

Hi Nigel, there seems no way to clean the muck off the pipes after just 3 months the pipes on my new stelvio really let the bike down! the coating is so thin and you can rub though it very easy I tried all sorts, and in the end sent them away to be ceramic coated in a finish called ceramakrome I'm very pleased with the result they have been back on the bike for about 2500 miles now and still look the same as the day I put them on. you can clean the crap off with metal polish very easy and they look the same as the early press release photo's of the 2011 ntx sort of a semigloss silver a bit like polished ally there are other benefits as well they retain the heat better so lambda sensors and cat heat up quicker the surface cools down quicker and the exhaust note seems sweeter to me anyway in short would highly recommend having them done mine were coated inside and out and was not as expensive as I throught it would be DO NOT USE A WHEEL CLEANER THEY ARE USUALLY ACID BASED AND STRIP THE FINISH OFF INSTANTLY this I know for sure!

Thanks guys. I bought my Stelvio with just 1400m on the clock, 5 months old. The down pipes were already looking really bad but have sort of got used to them. Perhaps ceramic coating is the way to go or could the matt finish be removed by polishing them up. It was the exhaust (silencer box) that I wanted to try and keep on top of. So is it safe to use alloy wheel cleaner (say Autoglym or Turtlewax) I don't want the Moto Guzzi logo to disappear.

on the silencer I use tar and glue remover or good old WD40 nothing abrasive or you will polish bright spot on it and poss. remove the logo happy cleaning!!

nigelm said:
So is it safe to use alloy wheel cleaner (say Autoglym or Turtlewax) I don't want the Moto Guzzi logo to disappear.
What I said in my original post above... be sure it is wheel cleaner for clear-coated wheels. The others are acidic and will stain and strip the logo.

Thanks guys, WD40 has done a pretty good job. I will try and find some non acidic wheel cleaner for the remaining faint stains. Don't want to spend too much time cleaning, rather be riding!

mrcanns said:
Hi Nigel, there seems no way to clean the muck off the pipes after just 3 months the pipes on my new stelvio really let the bike down! the coating is so thin and you can rub though it very easy I tried all sorts, and in the end sent them away to be ceramic coated in a finish called ceramakrome I'm very pleased with the result they have been back on the bike for about 2500 miles now and still look the same as the day I put them on. you can clean the crap off with metal polish very easy and they look the same as the early press release photo's of the 2011 ntx sort of a semigloss silver a bit like polished ally there are other benefits as well they retain the heat better so lambda sensors and cat heat up quicker the surface cools down quicker and the exhaust note seems sweeter to me anyway in short would highly recommend having them done mine were coated inside and out and was not as expensive as I throught it would be DO NOT USE A WHEEL CLEANER THEY ARE USUALLY ACID BASED AND STRIP THE FINISH OFF INSTANTLY this I know for sure!

Hi Can we have some photos of your "coated" pipes please?

nigelm said:
Thanks guys, WD40 has done a pretty good job. I will try and find some non acidic wheel cleaner for the remaining faint stains. Don't want to spend too much time cleaning, rather be riding!

This is my answer too. WD40 is not going to hurt anything metal on your bike, and will clean it back to whatever it was "supposed" to look like.

I like my bikes to be in a condition where I don't have to be worrying about the things that WILL happen to me on the road cause me pain and heartache and extra work and extra money. There ARE bugs, and road dust, and bits of gravel flying about, and if you ride a lot they WILL get you and alter the appearance of your bike .... don't let them bother you. Just make sure the operating parts are lubed, keep the brake fluid off of it, and RIDE!

That's my take anyhow.

Lannis

ceramakrome front pipes nice and easy to keep clean already lasted longer than the guzzi factory finish

Attachments

• IMAG0064 (1).jpg
    IMAG0064 (1).jpg
    823.2 KB · Views: 385
Thanks! yes I'm pleased, they were covered in crap from Thetford forest baked on a quick wash off and a polish and they were like new again they were done by Camcoat can't remember where they are but its all on their website the cost £150 all in which I think is good value, took a while though quoted 3 weeks but ended up 5 but it was when the weather was really bad. The return postage was in the £150 so you could save something if they are closer to yourself definatley shop around for postage I sent them royal mail next day with insurance was over 50 quid! I think it would complement that lovely Agostini can of yours, hopefully my new Mivv silencer should arrive tomorrow not sure when the decent weather will arrive have a good one

Thanks! yes I'm pleased, they were covered in crap from Thetford forest baked on a quick wash off and a polish and they were like new again they were done by Camcoat can't remember where they are but its all on their website the cost £150 all in which I think is good value, took a while though quoted 3 weeks but ended up 5 but it was when the weather was really bad. The return postage was in the £150 so you could save something if they are closer to yourself definatley shop around for postage I sent them royal mail next day with insurance was over 50 quid! I think it would complement that lovely Agostini can of yours, hopefully my new Mivv silencer should arrive tomorrow not sure when the decent weather will arrive have a good one

Hi, how difficult was it to get the lambda sensors out when you removed the pipes? My bike has done 25k miles now and I fancy having the pipes coated like you have done but I'm worried I won't be able to remove the sensors.

Mine came off but needed some heavy pulling on the wrench. Just be careful you don't go flying across the room when you do it as when it does release it goes straight to free turning. There is no "loose" phase. I had about the same miles on mine when I first did it. When you spin them out, count the number of turns so when you go to re-install it you know how many time to pre turn the sensor before you start to screw it back in. If you don't do that, the wire will be kinked on the re-install.

Hi Rob the bike done 31k now and the coating is holding up very well if I was to put some more effort into cleaning them they would come up almost like new again I managed to melt my bike cover on one of them it took ages to burn off and left a nasty mark which flatted off and polished away, money well spent in my book

Ditto, had mine done by Camcoat in satin black about 2 years ago, still clean up quite easily. Would definitely do agian on another bike if it suited

Great, thanks guys. I'm definitely gonna get the pipes off when the weather puts an end to my rides out. Satin black sounds good but I think I'll probably go for the ceramacrome finish if they are still doing that. Does anyone know what the pipes are actually made of? It seems they are unique to the Stelvio, seems a wierd finish specially coated with something to make them look crap after a few months. I was wondering what would happen if they were professionally polished - I assume they would just go rusty?

Back