Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Stelvio Front Suspension Damping question ... ?

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Lannis, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Lannis

Lannis Cruisin' Guzzisti

When I upgraded my rear suspension at about 20,000 miles to lower the (2009) bike, I also installed 105 lb/in front fork springs and modified spacers per Guzzitech, and changed out the seals and dust covers while I was there.

For 25,000 miles, the front suspension has been great. No oil seepage and good damping control, both compression and rebound.

But on a trip I took the last couple of days, I notice that the damping seems to be gone. The forks will "pogo" at least twice when you compress them and let go, the forks top out with a "Clunk" on minor bumps, and it feels wobbly in a bumpy curve.

I've had the forks apart (obviously, when I install new springs and seals) but I can't say I understand how the damping works. On my old California III, the oil in the forks had nothing to do with damping; how does it work in the Stelvio? I can take them apart to check the oil, but the male fork tubes are dry - no oil leaking, so I'm sure that the carefully-measured amount I put in is still in there?

Any ideas from experienced panel where to look?

Lannis

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Sounds like they gave up. They are non-serviceable (crimped closed) cartridges from the (Marzocchi) factory. I don't have any suggestions outside of pricing them new, or I can get you pricing on another option that will be ten-fold better. Direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

3. Lannis

Lannis Cruisin' Guzzisti

Todd -

Went out and had a post-ride "closer look" and it turns out that the little brass adjustment screw for "Rebound Damping" on the right-side fork is AWOL.

I peered into the hole and it looks like the threads in the fork cap that held that screw are gone - or at least they're very rounded-looking and don't look like proper threads.

What's the repair/replace for this situation?

Lannis

4. GT-Rx®

There aren't any parts available to the best of my knowledge... as I said, they are not serviceable and usually need to be replaced. Find a used set maybe?

5. boscoman

boscoman Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

They are about $250 . Just had to replace one.

6. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

As far as I'm aware, every single (Conventional) Telescopic Fork ever made uses the Oil for damping duties.
    ForkTops.jpg

Fork Top assemblies are available as spares, but it's probably easier/cheaper to buy a complete damaged Fork Leg from a Breaker/Salvage Yard.

Be aware there are two Sizes, early models (>2012?) have 50mm Forks, later ones have 45mm versions.
    I'm not sure if the uppers are different diameters though . . .

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  7. Trout

Trout GT Reference

The early T series (like my avatar) only used the oil as a lubricant not for dampening.
    The cartridge insert controlled dampening, the springs rebound.

8. John Warner

Cartridges use the Fork Oil for Damping duties, just like Damping Rod Forks, how else would they do it?

Cartridge Forks..gif CartridgeForkDetail..gif
    Note the Oil Ports at the lower end.

Some high-end performance Forks I think have sealed Cartridges now, but that's a recent development, I'd be very surprised if an older Guzzi had them.

Springs don't control Rebound, any more than they do Compression.

9. GT-Rx®

John, are you questioning me on this? Fact that the Marzocchi units are crimped as to not be touched. Not only have I seen a few dozen of them, but I also spoke with (in person) the Marzocchi engineer that was responsible for the set up of them with Guzzi, at the Marzocchi warehouse here in SoCal while he was in for the X-Games, years ago.

10. John Warner

To be honest Todd, I'd missed the bit where you said they were sealed units. :blush:

I'm just surprised an older Guzzi has them.
    Non-maintainable (i.e. more unnecessary expense) items are what I'd expect from the likes of any other manufacturer, not MG.

How do they allow for expansion and/or displacement, do they have a Gas Bladder, or a floating Piston?

11. GT-Rx®

Heh, well I'm about to stop posting on these type of questions anyway. I don't have much time these days, and am most often overlooked, ignored or debated.
    Forks are sealed for legal reasons I was told.
    Cartridges are like you posted the pics of above, only one side has a compression damping shim stack, and the other side rebound.

12. boscoman

Since we are talking suspension here, anyone who has replaced the Stelvio shock with a Griso shock give me some recommendations for the settings they used for rebound & dampening? Also if you changed the height on the spring. All works ok, but bridge seams & sharp bumps in the road cause my teeth to rattle right now on the bike.
    Thanks in advance.

13. John Warner

If it's bottoming out regularly (I'm guessing that's what you're getting at?), then you need to sort it, you don't want to be putting that sort of stress into the Swing-Arm and Linkages that frequently.
    The only option will probably be fitting a stronger Spring.

14. boscoman

Have been playing with the rebound & dampening (Preload)settings & found that going with the settings on the Stelvio stock shock for maximum load seems to be the trick with some modification. The 18 clicks for the rebound works well, the 33 clicks for Preload can't be done. So I set it in 3/4 of the way (which is what the 33 clicks comes out to) & so far problem solved. Much better ride & only the worst bumps & seams on the road upset the comfort now.