• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio front Tyre

Rosey

Tuned and Synch'ed
My original Pirelli front tyre is almost gone and I looking at a replacement,the rear is a Metzler Z6 I don't use the bike off road.
All I find as replacements in this country (Australia) is-
Dunlop D607
Pirelli Scorpian Trail
Metzler Tourance EXP (NEW dual sport/road biased front, supposed to be std on a GS BMW)

What is not available are Road smarts,Continetal Road Attack,Metzler Z6 or Brdgestones.
Anyone have an opinion on the available tyres?
Thanks
Brett

I got 12,400 miles out of my original Pirelli Scorpion Sync front, and 6200 miles each out of my rear Pirellis.

Just to be doing something different, I put on a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3s front and rear. Bike handles great with them, although it's always hard comparing tires, since you take off an old, squared-off, worn-out tire and put a new one on ....

We'll see how they wear!

Lannis

Lannis, I really like Michelin Road Pilot 2's on another bike and would like to put them on the Stelvio but they don't make a front Pilot Road in the Stelvio size. I have been thinking about an Anakee and wonder how it would work?

Bob Bernstein said:
Lannis, I really like Michelin Road Pilot 2's on another bike and would like to put them on the Stelvio but they don't make a front Pilot Road in the Stelvio size. I have been thinking about an Anakee and wonder how it would work?

See my "tire list" thread.

Oddly, right now, I am running an Anakee front and Road Pilot 3 on the rear. It is working fine. But I would like to find a better match for that Anakee for the rear.

Thanks Wayne,
I guess I didn't study your chart closely enough. I am glad to hear the Anakee/Pilot Road 3 combo works. I like both these tires on other bikes and figured they would work well enough yet still give better mileage than the Syncs.
BTW, on another board someone posed the question about running a Tourance on the front with an Anakee on the rear, which I had done on my Vstrom as the front was not yet worn enough to justify replacement. I thought it worked really well. I now have replaced the front with an Anakee and they seem comfortable and handle quite well. Someone said the front Anakee had a little too much turn in, which I experienced at first so I had to more the front forks back down in the triple tree about 15mm. (I had previously raised them to be a little closer to the ground) it cured the quick turnin.

Bob Bernstein said:
Someone said the front Anakee had a little too much turn in, which I experienced at first so I had to more the front forks back down in the triple tree about 15mm. (I had previously raised them to be a little closer to the ground) it cured the quick turnin.

Can you elaborate about the turn in and adjusting the triple tree? Not sure what "quick turn in" feels like, nor how moving the triple tree affects that.

Ted

Quick turn-in means that when you lean into a turn, the bike wants to take you deeper into the turn than you intended. Disconcerting to say the least!
Moving the front suspension up or down in the triple tree changes the steering geometry - but that is really a whole science in itself and I am sure there are those on this forum more capable than I at explaininng. I only know because of trial and error after many years of fooling around trying to get my bikes to handle the curves better, which is much more important to me than more speed. The engineers at the factory know a lot more than I ever will, but sometimes even a blind pig finds an acorn!
Bob

Rosey said:
My original Pirelli front tyre is almost gone and I looking at a replacement,the rear is a Metzler Z6 I don't use the bike off road.
All I find as replacements in this country (Australia) is-
Dunlop D607
Pirelli Scorpian Trail
Metzler Tourance EXP (NEW dual sport/road biased front, supposed to be std on a GS BMW)

What is not available are Road smarts,Continetal Road Attack,Metzler Z6 or Brdgestones.
Anyone have an opinion on the available tyres?
Thanks
Brett

Brett,

I am very satisfied with my Pirelli Scorpion Trail, which was standard on my Stelvio, when it was new.
I always buy front and rear tyre from the same model.
The Metzeler EXP should be a tick better in wet conditions (say tests in bike magazins). I just bought a second rear Scorpion trail and hope that my front tyre will last as long as 2 rear tyres. Maybe I will stay with the Pirellis or change to Metzeler EXP then.
Even they seem to be very similar, except the tire pattern. After all, Metzeler belongs to Pirelli and my Pirelli Scorpion Trail are made in Germany also.
The Anakee and Anakee2 are good tires but seem to be too soft on heavy bikes, as stated in some tests (and I think the Stelvio is a heavy one).

My buddy likes the Scorpion Trails on his Stelvio, so I'm gonna put'm on the Quota.

Rosey said:
I don't use the bike off road.
Brett, Can you get Avons? I tried the Metzeler Z8's on my Breva, they are great tires, I prefer them to the M-PR2s. The Z8s use a multi belt tension design but are not available in the Stelvio size, but Avon has a multi tension/density tire in the right size, it's the AV71 Cobra. It may be worth a try.

G'day Brett,
When my original front Scorpion Sync wore out (~10,000km) I fitted a Scorpion Trail. It lasted about the same (11,000km) and it's road performance was pretty similar - steering, feel, and grip (wet & dry) were all about the same as the Sync, or perhaps just marginally better. I thought the road performance of both was excellent for dual performance tyres. On dirt roads I found the Trail gave more feedback than the Sync, giving me more confidence - mind you, neither are exactly up to much here, especially in mud or greasy wet clay! As always, it's about compromise. I'm currently running a Heidenau K60 which is far more dirt oriented and also pretty good on dry bitumen. On wet bitumen I ride more circumspectly. I've got 7,000km on it at present & it looks like it will last a bit longer than the Pirellis.

I don't have any experience with the other tyres you listed, but you should also be able to get the Avon Distanzia AM44, & Dunlop TR91. They're both available down here in Canberra/Queanbeyan, similar price to pirelli, Metzeler, etc. They're both listed as dual purpose tyres, but very much towards the road end of the spectrum. The Dunlop is fairly new on the Oz market.

John

Back