• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio In Aus.

Mike.C

High Miler
Well news is to hand, granted not much news but for we of the never never any news is worth a mention..

This morning (Saturday) we dropped off the Minister's Nevada for a service prior to our planned ride to Canberra in January, and happened to be walking the show room checking out the Aprilia Pegasso Trail (as you do) when we met the bloke who sold me my Breva. We got talking and he introduced me to a bloke from JSG (Mark someone) who just happened to be there for some big open day and promotion they were having - something I tend to avoid like the plague and in this case knew nothing about.

Anyway to cut a loooong stroy short I bailed this bloke up and demanded to know when my bike is coming... and he capitulated under interrogation that "it was coming". Now that just wasn't good enough in my book, so I tightened the thumb screws and put some more oil on the fire for later use if he still resisted, and he finally fessed up just before I was about to break his left hand little finger at the second knuckle.

So here is the drum: Stelvio should be released here early next year, they are waiting on Italy to address all the ADR issues and in particular think they might have a solution to the silly indicator issue, and best of all it is likely that the TT will be a standard offering..

Yippee!

So, you didn't inquire if it would or would not come with the cam problems? :p

Yea come on Mike all indicators work intermitantly, that's the nature of them, Lol.
It's the cams you all got to be asking the dealers as, up till now there is no pattern to build time or mileage

Actually I asked him about the cam issue and he had never heard of it.

But really I wouldn't have expected him to - they are in the new bike release process, the cam issue I am sure is a transient part failure that happens periodically to all manufactured stuff, so won't figure on their radar yet. Running a business is a one problem at a time process and althuogh it's likely they have access to all the service bulletins I doubt that their technical people have the time to be reading stuff about a bike that hasn't been released yet, although of course if they were the ideal importer they would have read them all and made sure with MG that all issues had been dealt with - but of course we all know that pigs don't fly.

But now he knows, I suggested in the most friendly way possible that it might be a good idea for them to check that any stock they ordered was not affected - just before I tightened the thumb screws another notch to make sure he got the message and reminded him of the consequences if my bike was affected.

I've got to give Ken at JSG who is the warranty manamger a call on Monday about another matter I might just give him a heads up about this percieved issue.

When I was down there for the Mana training day I and one of the other blokes from a shop somewhere up north were trying to impress upon some of the more spotty and indolent attendees the importance of actually DOING the work involved in regular, scheduled servicing, especially valve lash, on Guzzis as even the *new* 2VPC models are very sensitive to incorrect settings. I'm still of the opinion that the most likely cause is non-adjustment or incorrect adjustment of the lash. Not saying I'm right but I do KNOW for a fact that very, very few 'Mechanics' think of valve lash adjustment as a 'Service' item nowadays.

Pete

Thumb screws are a good idea, threats of death too, dont forget the dodgy menu switch and side stand we had in the UK. The US market got a 2" longer side stand. If it's a global gravity issue with the side stand yours will be approx 38.5"
Hey, The UK dealer rep hasn't heard of it either, yet we've had at least 6 failures !
Still a great bike to ride but I wont own one after the warrenty period

Sorry Pete, but being relatively new to the Guzzi site , I dont know where your posting from, Uk ?. You obviously know Guzzi's, and your implying that if there is no issue with the parts from MG then it's down to the service tech's at the dealers.
Obviously the new bikes dont need servicing by owners as they are by defanition NEW bikes, and therefore get serviced at the dealer reccomended times. Guzzi do not state in there owners manual " check the valve clearances before every ride". I had a new 2003 Ural 2wd outfit that did 8000 miles without a spanner even seeing the engine. Did get 3 oil and filter changes though. So did the Stelvio.

Gary wrote:
Sorry Pete, but being relatively new to the Guzzi site , I dont know where your posting from, Uk ?. You obviously know Guzzi's, and your implying that if there is no issue with the parts from MG then it's down to the service tech's at the dealers.
Obviously the new bikes dont need servicing by owners as they are by defanition NEW bikes, and therefore get serviced at the dealer reccomended times. Guzzi do not state in there owners manual " check the valve clearances before every ride". I had a new 2003 Ural 2wd outfit that did 8000 miles without a spanner even seeing the engine. Did get 3 oil and filter changes though. So did the Stelvio.

I'm posting from Bumfuck, Australia. I'm A Guzzi service agent out in the middle of nowhere, ('Cos I like the middle of nowhere:laugh: )

I'm not implying that the tappets should be checked before every ride, all I'm saying is that many, many so-called 'Mechanics' nowadays think that 'Servicing' a bike only implies dropping it's oil, tightening it's chain making sure the tyres aren't flat at the bottom and that the lights and horn work. The thing is with virtually any truly *modern* bike over 600cc's you can have them in such a poor state of tune they can loose 20% of their horsepower and their owners will hardly notice so proper 'Service' work is quite often overlooked or ignored. When you are dealing with a great, antedeluvian dinosaur like a Guzzi you loose anything and you know it. Also there is less risk of damage to things like the valvetrain in a modern ater-cooled machine tan there is in something air/oil cooled.

If valve clearances aren't checked at the first service this may well cause problems. From my own experience I know that the clearances in the 8V motor change quite a lot during the running in period. Why did I check them so often? Because it's a NEW design that I know nothing about and nor does anybody else. It's not like the old pushrod models that have been around forever and there is a huge wealth of knowlege around about them, this new top end IS just that, new. If I'm a service agent I feel it important I rather than my customers, should find stuff out so I'm super cautious. Stuff that I do find out I try and share.

As for oil change intervals? There is no way I'm going to follow the factory spec on that. I don't care how good the oil is 10,000Kms is too long. I change mine at 5,000 and bugger the cost. I am somewhat baffled by your comment about new bikes not needing to be serviced by their owners because they are new???? What does it matter who does the servicing as long as it is done? The problem is that I'm fully aware that there are many, many dealers and workshops who DON'T do what they charge for. For that reason it is worth checking stuff yourself if you value your investment. No, I don't want to get into an argument over whether this is right or wrong, of course it is wrong if people are being charged for work that isn't being done and maintenance is being skimped on but it happens, that's all I'm saying!

Pete

Although scheduled maintenance "should" catch incorrect valve clearance... sometimes things are a little rushed or overlooked by mechanics anxious to complete a routine job for full commission:( The best case scenario is that the bike runs OK and doesn't break down. The worse? Use your imagination.
What really bothers me is knowing that (at least in the States) new bikes are often "set-up" by the least experienced worker in the shop! To believe a "New" bike may not need adjustment may be a little naive.
I admit I'm not a professional mechanic, but I take pride in checking over my bikes and getting to know them well. So far I've been lucky:)
The "smoking gun" seems to be most the problems are on UK bikes (so far). Bad parts batch... bad set-up... combination of both? Hope we find out soon.

Back