• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio NTX GPS and Mount

theflea61

Just got it firing!
Hello one and all, I am after a good quality GPS and secure mount for my 2012 Stelvio NTX. I know I can look at the Internet and find lots of motorcycle specific GPS and mounts. But I would rather take advice on what other riders use. So any help you good people can give me would be appreciated. On an other note, this is my first Moto Guzzi and I am loving it, I've had a lot of bikes in my riding career; including a BMW 1200GS; and the Guzzi is one of the best. One small issue, the top retaining screws on the small wind deflectors have cracked and it looks like it needs a rubber washer to stop the cracking; has any one else come across this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

theflea61 said:
Hello one and all, I am after a good quality GPS and secure mount for my 2012 Stelvio NTX. I know I can look at the Internet and find lots of motorcycle specific GPS and mounts. But I would rather take advice on what other riders use. So any help you good people can give me would be appreciated. On an other note, this is my first Moto Guzzi and I am loving it, I've had a lot of bikes in my riding career; including a BMW 1200GS; and the Guzzi is one of the best. One small issue, the top retaining screws on the small wind deflectors have cracked and it looks like it needs a rubber washer to stop the cracking; has any one else come across this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.
For a mount I used a Techmount unit - which cost more than the gps :eek:
http://www.techmounts.com/products/inde ... uct_id=149

I bought a cheap Tom Tom Ease for a GPS - has a good mounting scheme for a car GPS (positive click in lock) and only cost $65 CDN
- no bluetooth or waterproof features but then I can buy 7 for the price of 1 bike specific unit :!:

I drilled through the suction cup mount to attach it to the baseplate of the mount and used a stainless steel screw to retain. Power is from the accessory plug in the rear (I have a 2009) so on the new bikes should be easy at the front.

If you need to have a waterproof unit with bluetooth etc I think your only option is the Garmin Zumo line but they are pricey - $300-$500 IIRC. Another option is to get a bluetooth model for a car and a water resistant case (not sure how well this will work)

Not sure about the screen question - I use an aftermarket GIVI screen and the 2009 screen is very different anyhow. I hope the new screen has improved the buffeting.

good luck and let us know what you end up with

I prefer RAM mounts. They work on all of my bikes and my cars. I use a Garmin 276C and a smartphone in a RAM mount. I also pop a camera in one occasionally.'

Nuvi 550 here. water proof and shock resistant. no blue tooth but then I dont want to hear the think anyhow. lol
ram mounts are the bomb.

Shrike said:
Nuvi 550 here. water proof and shock resistant. no blue tooth but then I dont want to hear the think anyhow. lol
ram mounts are the bomb.

I have a Nuvi 550 as well. It is one of the best deals on the market, IMHO. Also use a RAM mount. Works great!

Bruce

How is the readability of Nuvi 550 under different light conditions and how long the battery lasts? I am using Garmin Oregon 300 and I can go on two 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries for 12 hours, I do not like any wires hanging around. The only setback with Oregon 300 is a poor visibility in some light conditions (overcast and sun at low angle).

Luma46 said:
How is the readability of Nuvi 550 under different light conditions and how long the battery lasts? I am using Garmin Oregon 300 and I can go on two 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries for 12 hours, I do not like any wires hanging around. The only setback with Oregon 300 is a poor visibility in some light conditions (overcast and sun at low angle).

Readibility is good under most conditions, but like any GPS it can be difficult to see the screen in direct, bright sunlight. I cannot comment on battery life, as I always plug mine into the 12V socket, whether on my Stelvio or in my truck.

-Bruce

I get about three hrs out of the battery. Plugged in too but it always vibrates out of the cheap ass socket. The fix so far has been to stuff coffee mixing sticks on each side of the socket to hold the thing more firm. But a search for better sockets is definitely in the works.

Toadride said:
I get about three hrs out of the battery. Plugged in too but it always vibrates out of the cheap ass socket. The fix so far has been to stuff coffee mixing sticks on each side of the socket to hold the thing more firm. But a search for better sockets is definitely in the works.

I have a Powerlet socket. It works very well.

Bar from Touratech ($35)
TT mount with zumo cradle
custom mount for the ipod remote and xm radio
Wired directly to the GPS wires on the bike.
I converted my ciggy outlets to powerlet, but don't use them for the GPS.

2012-07-26_23-15-31_331.jpg

2012-07-26_23-15-20_219.jpg

I made up a simple GPS mount from scrap aluminum plate, 1/4" thick. The plate mounts via the four 8mm bolts that secure the handlebar upper clamp. I made four 12mm standoffs and had to get M8X50mm bolts so everything would fit. The GPS is rock steady on the mount, is easy to see, and does not block access to the ignition key.

IMG0260-M.jpg

here's another view, from the side:
IMG0261-M.jpg

The large flat surface on the handlebar bracket turned out to be a perfect place to mount my SPOT Tracker.

Back