• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio NTX suspension, spring rates measurements notes

uzidzit

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I tore the ntx suspension down looking for improvement the other day and found the following:

The front springs are both the same .85kg/mm 30.5mm i.d. 41mm o.d. x 447mm long, this is good news plenty of spring available, I replaced mine with a set of traxxion dyn. omni springs 1.0kg/mm. there is no need to go looking for unobtainable Marz parts. Sonic springs (great springs) have rates up to 1.2kg/mm. BUT!!!! With the Rake of this fork (if the rear sag is right) YOU WILL NEVER go above 1.05kg/mm EVER if you do the fork will act like it is solid!

EVEN if loaded with 500lb 1.05 is stiff if the back end is good and correct.

Fork cartridges: rebound side is ok...not great but at least it controls oil through the whole stroke and will work as intended( it is a sealed cartridge and not re-valveable)

The COMPRESSION cart. is basically total crap, it is not re-valveable, and due to a series of holes down the sides of the cartridge body does not control the oil at all during the first 4/5ths of the stroke. The adjuster only controls compression at the bottom 40mm of stroke, ie it is acting like an adjustable bottoming valve...not compression adjustment. The only good thing about this cart. is you could set it so that it will never bottom...

going up very slightly to 10w in the compression side helps, but is a bit heavy in the rebound side.

The front end fix is carts from Traxxion Dynamics (ak-20) you will lose 5mm stroke with them. You will really never notice this as it will be hidden in the loss of 5mm of top out. Or Matris Cartridges I have zero experience with these but from what matris tells me they also lose 5mm in top out. This is really not a big deal as the top out in this fork is very stiff and short.

The Matris cart also is supposed to have a bottoming valve as well at the conventional valves but I have not seen one in person to evaluate.

NOW on TO THE REAR:
THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a limit to the spring rate of a 2.25" (60mm) i.d. shock spring that will fit in the damn frame!!!!! and that is 83-84mm o.d.

Factory spring is 56mm id x 80.6mm od 185mm long with a rate of 610lb/in or 11 kg/mm.

So what does this mean? if you build a Penske shock ( they use a 2.25 id spring) the max rate you can use is 800lb or 850(maybe it will probably touch)

Who knows what id Matris uses if it is std 60mm id you may get a shock that does not fit if the rate is high, My email to them about the spring id and wire dia. got no response.

56mm id springs are not really std. (thanks guys)

The good news is that even though the stock Sachs, is very mid Sachs range for their line, it is a very very well built shock (sachs has one of the best floating piston designs out there) and is re-valveable and re-buildable, without issue.

Now the good spring news you can use without issue 60mm id springs on the Sachs shock up to 800lb-850(maybe), or if you need a bit more YOU CAN use a HYPER COIL / Traxxion Dynamics Gold Wing shock spring....the down side is they are only avail in 1000, 1100, 1200 lb. so you have a gap right where a lot of folks will fall. The wing spring is 1" short but a spacer takes care of the problem....so why do this work?

The spring wind is a very open coil, and when you orient the open areas rotationally on the shock body correctly they will miss the frame and swing arm. (the frame and swing arm are in the spaces between the coils) This will not work with the penske as its coil density is higher. It is also very slightly smaller on the id.

Properly done the Sachs can be very good for about $350,

I used 5 wt oil for the re-build.

There is a possibility that a 50mm id spring may work on a penske but they have neither confirmed or denied it, Any way you slice it the penske rear (unless you are under 250) with gear and luggage looks like a really really custom build, (maybe using one of their car shock bodies) this was a suggestion straight from Penske.

I am looking for more hard information (numbers sizes)

By the way I actually had a Penske springs at every rate they make to check the fit, that is how the dia problem showed up.

My set up is actually good (bike sag in rear 8mm, front 15mm, rider sag rear 42mm, front 47mm) it is stiff but not punishing, very good if the roads are good to decent and on good gravel, it would be a bit stiff for non-aggressive, touring on really bad roads.

A quick check to see if the stance is right and the chassis balance is good on the ntx, is if the tires front and rear are both used equally (scorp trail) the stance is right, if there is a lot of side on the front and the rear is to the edge, the rear is really soft, and the bike is flying nose high, the same cond. kicks in when the front is goofy soft, and plowing like mad.

What year NTX?

Thanks for your post, and for confirming everything in my database

The front fork cartridges aren't re-valvable simply because the ends are crimped on. They can be removed and re-valved, it just takes some creativity to re-install. I am running Marzocchi 1.05 springs in mine, w/Marz factory race tech re-valved here in SoCal.
For '12+ bikes, the Matris S fork kit is pretty amazing, but big $$$$.

I've successfully installed Penske 8983DB on several Stelvios with great results. The Matris R rear shock is the best I've ever ridden (I run it on my personal bike... and I have tremendous miles on the top shelf suspension makers, on both street and track).
I'm a dealer for Penske and Matris, linked on the Store tab above. Matris generally does not reply to retail e-mails, as they are trying to become just a manufacturer who has sales agents. I can get most questions answered as needed.

If you can rebuild the stock shock for $350 total, good on you. Typically they hover closer to $500 total with shipping in both directions, which I wouldn't personally waste my money on.

The ntx is a 2012 model with 45mm forks., the carts are crimped together, but the compression side has about 12-16 holes all along the body of the cartridge, this is really why they just collapse, no amount of re-valving will do any good with no oil control in the upper 60-70 percent of the stroke it would improve the bottoming though I did re-work the rebound cart, to real improvemet. the compression side is just poor design (it looks exactly like the cart. I pulled out of a husky MX)

The big shock was that the penske flat would not mount with the 850lb spring it hit everything when mounted, get on the bike compress the rear and you heard the coils popping past the frame and swing arm.

This thread is way over my head. I've found the stock NTX suspension to be pretty good...but hey, I'm used to riding a Quota 1100ES. My only complain on the NTX I have had is two-up riding fully loaded the rear end bottoming out when I hit pot holes at speed on two occasions. That was at the recommended 33 clinks pre-load. So maybe I need a bit more pre-load (or pay more attention to potholes)?
Alan NZ

Back