• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio oil filter ....

Lannis

Cruisin' Guzzisti
For years I used UFI oil and fuel filters for my Guzzis (the 23 287 00 for the Stelvio), but I have not liked the quality of construction of UFI filters lately, especially the one I bought to replace the Bosch fuel filter, and so have been using other brands.

Last time I changed my Stelvio filter, I bought another brand; can't remember which. "Never mind", I told myself, "I'll take the old one off and see what it is and buy another". To my surprise, the old filter is as blank as Modred's shield ... not one trace of lettering or logo on it, solid black. It has a lovely 17mm hex on the bottom, which means no fooling around with fluted cap wrenches, or spiral wrenches, or steel fingers, or strap wrenches.

Based on that limited description, can anyone tell me what type of filter (one that can be bought at a regular parts store, 'cause I need the bike for the weekend) that might be? Or failing that, whether anyone thinks that a FRAM PH6022 is a viable alternative?

Sorry about this oil-related thing, but needs must when the devil drives ....

Lannis

Bosch 3330. Apply a thin film of grease to the seal and torque to 15 Nm. Used on Toyota V8 and BMW motorcycle oil head and some K bikes. Not a fan of Fram filters, but one would be better than using a old filter.

All black & no name, that would most likely be a HiFlow. Cheap in price but very well made, they have R & D here in ATL area. Our shop I worked at in 09 gave them an Aprilia long oil filter for 990 motor so they could make them.
HF551 for 8V http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/model/6966

You could get one from Todd too

I use a car filter, Bosch

Bosch 3330. Apply a thin film of grease to the seal and torque to 15 Nm. Used on Toyota V8 and BMW motorcycle oil head and some K bikes. Not a fan of Fram filters, but one would be better than using a old filter.

Thanks! No, I wouldn't reuse an old filter after I'd taken it off, I'd probably get road dirt on the outlet side and it would go through the engine.....

Lannis

All black & no name, that would most likely be a HiFlow. Cheap in price but very well made, they have R & D here in ATL area. Our shop I worked at in 09 gave them an Aprilia long oil filter for 990 motor so they could make them.
HF551 for 8V http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/model/6966

You could get one from Todd too

I use a car filter, Bosch
Oops ... apologies to Todd for asking about buying stuff that's sold in the Store ... my only excuses are that I've bought suspensions and brake components and such from the Store and didn't really think about everyday items like filters and stuff being there too ... and that I procrastinated the service until there was no time to order on-line.....

It's interesting, after 60,000 miles I'm just now using my last container of AGIP 10W60 engine oil and my last quart of AGIP GL4 80W90 rear drive oil and my last quart of AGIP GL5 85W90 gearbox (6-speed) oil that I bought from the dealer who sold me the bike new, so I'm reading up on the qualifying alternatives, and there are lots of opinions as everyone knows.

One thing that I THINK I've learned is that the "4T" specification on some oil (which shows up on Motul 7100 10W60 but does not show up on Castrol Edge 10W60 bottles) is that "4T" simply means it's for 4-stroke engines as opposed to "2T" which is meant to be burned in a two-smoker. Other than that it's API "SN" 10W60 for me.

If this starts an Oil Thread War, then that's on whoever fires the first shot; I'm off, happy as Larry .....!

Lannis

Oops ... apologies to Todd for asking about buying stuff that's sold in the Store ... my only excuses are that I've bought suspensions and brake components and such from the Store and didn't really think about everyday items like filters and stuff being there too
No worries. I don't keep any of the basic service items on the online STORE, though I stock them in my workshop. If anyone is in a pinch and needs anything, I likely stock it. I currently have ~500+ OEM parts in stock (i.e. clutch and brake levers, cables to bearings, gaskets and seals, clutch parts and MUCH larger $ items) in inventory (only some are online), but does not include any of the maintenance items (oil filters, plugs, tires, etc etc).

One thing that I THINK I've learned is that the "4T" specification on some oil (which shows up on Motul 7100 10W60 but does not show up on Castrol Edge 10W60 bottles) is that "4T" simply means it's for 4-stroke engines as opposed to "2T" which is meant to be burned in a two-smoker. Other than that it's API "SN" 10W60 for me.

You are correct Lannis! Just the European designations.

HifloFiltro is my workshop default filter. They are EXCEPTIONAL quality oil filters and exceed the European TUV classification for excellence.

They are never all black. They are black with super high quality paint and their printing and logo are on every filter. This does not normally wear off and their motorcycle filters don’t have 17mm nuts at the ends at all so I doubt yours is a HighfloFiltro.

A0ABDD58 E5E0 4E7F 8C0E 8F7176025F2A

Their warranty statement in the front of their catalog says it all in terms of their quality and commitment. They guarantee to repair any engine damaged from use of their filters!

I called them to ask how many times that has occurred. The representative laughed and proudly said, “Never”. I believe them. I have cut these filters open to examine them and they are perfect in every regard. I use them exclusively on all 8 of my bikes and have for quite some time now.

I confidently and highly recommend them.

4B474E26 CFA2 44CB BCF0 1CB1B9472D80

This is their catalog in PDF for anybody who desires it.

Attachments

• Hiflofiltro Application Guide 2021.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The filter I took off my bike looks exactly like this one ....

Hiflofiltro oil filter hf138rc p750 282769158
Except that mine has zero white paint or lettering on it at all. That 17mm hex is so darn convenient, tempting, and easy to use a torque wrench on .... I don't know why every oil filter doesn't have it .... !

Well, I've got lots of good alternatives now, so I'll leave behind this thread as a "Stelvio Oil Filter" search string for future generations

Lannis

The filter I took off my bike looks exactly like this one ....

View attachment 25454
Except that mine has zero white paint or lettering on it at all. That 17mm hex is so darn convenient, tempting, and easy to use a torque wrench on .... I don't know why every oil filter doesn't have it .... !

Well, I've got lots of good alternatives now, so I'll leave behind this thread as a "Stelvio Oil Filter" search string for future generations

Lannis

Hey Lannis!

That's the RC line. I don't use that one as it's the racing line. Page 2 of the catalog.

I think the correct one is inside of the catalog link I posted above.

Ok, there you go!

Good Luck,

Scott

Screen Shot 2022 06 15 at 10343 PM

Hey Lannis,

If you're looking for some light reading some evening .................. the CalSci website has some interesting info where they had tested/done autopsies on several common oil filters and put up their impressions. Here's a link below.
I was surprised to see that the Wal-Mart SuperTech oil filters were rated as being much better than average? And someone mentioned that you can sometimes catch them on sale ............................. for about $2 each. LOL.

Back