Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum, by FACT NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - it should be common sense, but sadly needs to be stated; BE COURTEOUS! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Stelvio PC-V/AutoTune install

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Sep 27, 2009.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hi Todd

Is the PCV only suitable for the 2010 models or can it be used on the earlier ones. The PC website only quotes 2010.

Cheers

Ian

3. GT-Rx®

Hi Ian, which website? The custom units are good back to '03 Breva 750 (15RC ECUs) up to current model 5AM ECU's. They are not "one size fits all" though. Are you asking if it'll fit your earlier Stelvio?

4. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

Todd

I contacted the UK supplier/installer and they said that the PC wasn't avilable for the Stelvio before 2010.

http://www.dynojet.co.uk/

The PC.com website doesn't even list the Stelvio.

My bike is a 2009 model and I couldn't understand what the difference was between the 2009 & 2010 to prevent me installing it.

Cheers

Ian

5. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

Well I am confused.

I've been in touch with a couple of installers for the PCV today and got the following replied:-

Hi Ian

Thanks for the enquiry.
    The Power Commander to fit your bike is actually stil under development so is not available at the moment.
    It will be a power commander 5 and the price will be retail around 328.00 inc vat at the current rate.
    Fitting and full custom mapping would be around 150.00.
    I will probably be able to offer you a better price on the PC5 when it becomes available.
    I will keep you informed.

&

Hi Ian
    Unfortunately the Power Commander for your model of bike is not available it is still under development and we have no release date as of yet.

If you have any further questions regarding this please do not hesitate to contact us on the telephone number below.

So why can't I get a PCV in the UK, anyone know??????

Ian

Kind Regards

6. Ad B

Ad B Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

7. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've phoned around and been told, no the PCV is not available for the 2009 Stelvio yet I also got these replies

Hi Ian

By all means try to order one I think you'll find that their not available.
    Dynojet assure me that it is not available as yet.

&

Hi Ian

Yes it is a bit misleading that.
    When Dynojet create a part no for a power commander it automatically gets listed. This means that it is under development.
    Dynojet UK have got them on back order and as soon as they are available they'll let me know.

So there ya go

Ian

8. GT-Rx®

Guys, there is over 20+ pages on the Power Commander on this Forum, but I'll recap; Dynojet built me/GuzziTech a custom batch. It's the very batch that founded the units they are making available soon. While they are showing on the US website, they have not been released yet. Part of the benefit of buying from me/GuzziTech is two-fold; 1. It keeps me motivated to push them to develop other models,which they typically won't do for smaller manufacturers, and 2. I spend hundreds of hours and $'s to develop base maps to supply with all units, including those not supported by Dynojet. Also, the new units will come with an 02-controller to handle low-speed fueling. The PC-V will only be able to be "mapped" above 40% throttle. Also, it makes the strongest point of it's use (AutoTune) a tough add on; you'll have to weld an additional 02-bung into the exhaust... and lastly, you will not benefit from my ECU mods; i.e. cold start, pre-detonation & power timing mods, nor 02-sensor delete that allows easy plug-in of the AutoTune unit. If you have other questions, please read the main section post, or feel free to contact me direct. I have about ten left.

9. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks Todd.

Thats great for the US guys but over here in the land that time forgot it's a struggle to have any kind of proper tuning done whatsoever. One day we'll catch up.

Cheers

Ian

10. GT-Rx®

Ian, welcome, but it's quite simple... if you buy my complete package, it's plug and play. If you move away from Guzzi, you'll be back. :whistle:

11. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

Todd I'm sure your complete package is excellent but too risky when I live on the opposite side of the Atlantic.

Here's the reply that I got from PowerCommander on your side of the pond

We do not have a release date at this time for that unit. We have seen the bike here and have found an exception to this bike which requires more engineering than normal for a power commander to work on it. I would not expect it to be released inside of the next couple of months as my best guess.
    Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
    Chris Kelly
    Dynojet Research Inc.
    2191 Mendenhall Dr. Suite 105
    North Las Vegas, NV 89081

1-800-992-4993

This is my 3rd Guzzi and I love the big Vee however my next Guzzi will be an older one,I think Piaggio have lost the plot.

Cheers

12. GT-Rx®

Well, he's not quite up to speed then... add the fact that I have been selling them for well over one year. ;)

13. Martin

Martin Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm confused to. . . don't know wich posting I must beleive. . .
    the one you're saying you like your bike as it is, the one you want to buy a PCV for it or the one you want to trade it for a Japanese bike. . . :S
    So, what's the risk?

14. oalvarez

oalvarez Tuned and Synch'ed

I can't tell you the transformation that the PCV and AT make on this motorcycle. Night and day from oem. From idle to under load, the power delivery is that much more smooth and noticeable. I personally think the kit is worth every penny and then some.

Thank you, Todd, for installing it. And more importantly, thanks for the air box ring kit and valve adjustment that you performed, that made all the difference in the world.

Oh, and for the others, if you plan on taking your bike to Guzzitech, make sure you make arrangements to have a new Penske or YSS rear shock installed......WOW!

Take good care,

15. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

I was very happy with the bike with the simple mods that I had done, but now Todd who obviously has far much more experience than me has sown the seed of doubt in my mind about the Lambda sensor being a narrower band than I first thought and the possible risk of the bike running too lean I am now uncertain which way to go.Do I put the airbox and snorkle back to stock and put up with the flat mid-range or wait until PowerCommander get their act together, we'll see?

The risk is obvious, should I have any problems I can't just take the bike to Todd and postage to return equipment takes days and is costly, so idealy I would have the bike set up locally, however I'm being told by PowerCommander that it still can't be done in the UK.

I think I'm just getting frustrated because my 2valve 1200 Sport was excellent for the 20,000 miles I did on it and I can't get the Stelvio to run as well without risk to the engine.

Hope that clarifies my concerns
    Ian

16. Ad B

Ad B Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hi,
    I think it's not that risky to order parts on the other side of that big ocean.
    I did that several times, Harley and old Chevy stuff...
    And hey, if you order here... you are doing business with Todd...
    I would do that without thinking 5 minutes about it, but I still have to wait for at least 7 months...
    Factory warranty, lovely but persuading wife :cheer: and Euro's (Dollars)... That are the main reasons.

Ad B

Oh... and winter was falling upon our village... It's all white now and my bike stands inside along the heater...
    Till next spring, my bikes aren't allowed te eat salt...

17. Martin

Martin Tuned and Synch'ed

I think you can estimate how the bike runs yourself, when in doubt you can pull the sparkplug out and see how it looks. On my 1200Sport I had put the snorkel off and a K&N installed. . . didn't feel good so I got back to stock. Now with the reflashed ecu it runs very good, even with the open airbox. I mean: just try to don't fool yourself. . . if possible, try to compare the differend situations in a short time (on the same route/conditions).
    I don't think there will be any shop in the UK that will/can give the same support and service as Todd does. . . when you send a part to the US, it's possible to have it back in a week or so. There's just one secret word you have to know. . . it's called: communication. . . ;)
    Is it the Stelvio, or just that you liked the 2V better? (motor characteristic.)

18. GT-Rx®

Thanks Obie, for the post and business!

Ian, I would put the snorkel back on for now, the bike runs critically lean in the low-RPM range as delivered. If your bank account stores €'s, my products are still HEAVILY on sale. :S
    As to Dynojet/Power Commander, if it weren't for my persistence in taking new models to them to push for development, their wouldn't even be the option. Dynojet's ROI for Guzzi doesn't make sense on paper. BTW, all R&D happens here in the U.S.

My ISP/e-mail have been down/spotty for the last several weeks, so apologies to those who have had *communication* problems with me. Otherwise, thanks much for all of the support and kind words to everyone above.

19. centauro_ernst

centauro_ernst Just got it firing!

hello,
    i own a 2008 model. it is fitted with pcIII AND K&n.
    daes in germany prepared a ducati one for stelvio.

best regards
    ernst

20. rturo

rturo Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Hi Ian

I've just picked up this post.

Had my 2006 Breva from new and thought the fuelling was less than perfect , or even close at low revs. Before Todd did all his work producing a map for our Guzzis I too contacted Dynojet UK and back then they said they “may” eventually produce one with the required map. Of course it never happened.

When Todd did all the mapping work I jumped in. I’m pretty sure his prices were similar to UK advertised PCV prices for other bikes and the postage was fast and reasonable. I hope Todd got a good discount from Dynojet when he bought the batch because otherwise he can’t have got back much for all the investment in time and money developing the maps. Perhaps I was lucky but UK Customs left me alone.

The important bit - the PCV, as expected has been reliable, the fuelling (above 40% throttle) much improved and as a bonus you get easy to follow instructions with photos , not to mention free assistance from Todd. No local dynotime necessary - a couple of hours DIY work to fit, most of which is removing/refitting the tank to allow routing of the wires.

I'm not concerned about being so far from the seller, the only risk is the PCV fails, but I’ve not heard anybody on the forum with this problem. Any electronics that can survive years until a Guzzi seat must be pretty tough.

I couldn’t afford Todd’s replacement ECU (or I would have gone for it) but I’ve now got the Optimizer on the way to improve the 0-40% fuelling.

Art