• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio tire list

WayneOrwig

GT Reference
I have been wanting to put together a list for a while. I had hoped that we could get 'tables' supported directly on this site. Since we don't have that, I have put together a table on my web site, and will just put a link to it here.

If you want to make any additions or corrections, post the info here and I will update the table.
Try to include the tire size, etc., and a brief opinion.

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/w/a/wayneorwig/stelvio_tire_list.htm

in Europe the Pirelli Scorpion Trail is the factory stock tire for the new Stelvio, with 150/70-17 for the rear tire.

Wayne -

I got 6200 miles out of each of my Pirelli Scorpion Sync rears, and 12,400 miles out of the front.

That's with a load averaging 375 pounds, much of it on abrasive chip-seal roads.

Trying a matched set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s now just for kicks.

Lannis

Keep the details coming in. I will update the table as I get info.

ferdi said:
in Europe the Pirelli Scorpion Trail is the factory stock tire for the new Stelvio, with 150/70-17 for the rear tire.

I assume this is for the NTX narrow rear rim. What is that rim width?
How does this tire work out?

I got only 1700 miles from the Scorpion Trail front, when the bike was new. A friend recommended that I replace the STs with Dunlop D607 front and D616 rear.

The D607 front had much better traction and lasted ~10,000 miles, while the D616 routinely needed replacement at ~4500 miles.

As the D607 has been discontinued, and as I was taking a 2½-week trip in July-August, I replaced the half-used D607/D616 set with a Dunlop TR91 front and Dunlop RoadSmart rear. Home 2,700 miles later, there was no visible wear to the front and the rear was only slightly squared. Currently at about 4,200 miles since the change, the RoadSmart looks to have about 1000 miles left (after un-squaring it) and the TR91 looks to be good for at least another 4,000 more. Seat-of-the-pants traction seems to be slightly better than that of the prior Dunlop set, and I'm quite pleased with the TR91/RoadSmart combo.

Most of my riding is solo with no bags; about 2/3 of that is in the canyons. When on trips I pack Givi bags and trunk. Tire pressures have been 35 pounds (front) and 37 pounds (rear) until a couple of weeks ago, when I replaced the OEM shock with a Penske 8983 and subsequently am using 34 (F) and 36 (R) for the time being.

It's odd how much the mileage varies on the same tires. My buddy got about 3k miles on the OE Scorpion Syncs. On his Stelvio 1200 (180 rear).

He installed the Scorp.Trails and has ridden about 3k miles so far. These miles include a trip thru Utah and Nevada with 200 miles on dirt roads. The front shows little wear and the rear appears to be at 50%.

Mohawkeye, how did you come up with the tire pressure figures you are using. The the bike label shows 36psi front and 40 rear. Could the lower pressure account for your high wear rate? If your looking for a softer ride, try the Metzeler Interact Z8s. They're great at absorbing bumps and are solid in the turns.

Rafael, that's certainly possible. I switched to the Dunlops because I was told that they have a stiffer sidewall construction than that of the OEM Pirellis (a friend had a front-tire [Scorpion Trail] blowout riding back to SoCal after purchasing an '09 Stelvio at MI -- he had a passenger and saved it!! And no, I don't know what pressure he was running). I'm not that experienced; however, I feel that I've been getting reasonable (and fairly normal) mileage for a radial tire performing under the type of riding that I do. My Cafe Sport gets between 4-5000 miles per set (Pirelli Diablo Strada, then Pirelli Angel, now Dunlop Roadsmart) with pressures anywhere from 32/34 to 34/36.

When I still had a first-generation BMW Oilhead RS, I had to keep pressures at 40/40 because the rims were very soft, and were prone to bend if you were to hit a pothole, rock, etc. with lower pressures. Consequently, traction suffered a bit. I'm guessing that the Stelvio's [spoked] wheels can handle a lower pressure (so far, so good) and still give me the traction I want. With the new shock the ride's pretty awesome!

Of course, YMMV...

I'm driving about 80% on regular roads and 20% on gravel/sand.
Mostly solo, always with correct pressure according to the manual.

Original (Pirelli) rear: 4460 miles
Original (Pirelli) front: 5155 miles (2 mm left)
Dunlop Sportmax D 220 ST rear: 7130 miles (1 mm left, a bit "rectangular")
Dunlop Sportmax D 220 F front: 6440 (still 2-3 mm left, looks fresh)

Have been pleased with all of them but will now try Metzeler Roadtec Z6 INTERACT C (rear) and Bridgestone BT 020 F (front).
Next change I'll try some multi-purpose tires instead.

I got just over 2,500 miles out of O/E Pirelli Scorpion Trail on the rear of my NTX (150/70/17), removed as it was badly squared off and down to 2.5mm. The front was looking good at that mileage so I had another Scorpion Trail fitted to the rear, that has now got 1,700 miles and looks like it will be worn and squared off at the same mileage. The Scorpion Trail front (110/90/19) has just over 4,00 miles on it and is now showing uneven wear towards the edges and will be scrap at the same time as the second rear. Both incredibly 'sticky' however and allow lots of peg scraping and associated shenanigans ! Anakee 2's for me next I think.

Got a few miles on the Anakee's now and they suit the Stelvio well. Nice smoth turn in and very stable, look like they will last well too. So far very impressed.

BT023's front and rear... ;)

So far I have about 1200 miles on them and they look bearly scrubbed in. Due for a trip to France in April (about 2600 mile round trip) I'll post up how they perform solo with luggage.

My pillion is just 98lbs (uk) [44.5kg] so she doesn't really count, other than settling the rear suspension I hardly notice her on the back.... :roll: I do some times notice her 32DD's when I brake hard... :lol: :blush:

No off roading.

The grip out performs the suspension on tarmac which is a shame because for a big bike it handles really well. Working on the suspension now, see if I can get the best out of the tyres.

Cheers

windy

Hi Wayne...
Just a FWIW...

I've run the Metzler Tourances Front and Rear (I do have the NTX rim on the rear). I'm pretty happy getting about 10k out of the front and 5-6k per rear. Very predictable handling on and off road (95% on 5% off). My riding tends to be a little more sport than touring. The rear does tend to square if you play on the slab but spend a little time in the twisties and they round off pretty well. My favorite is the fact these seem to wear pretty evenly.

I've just put a new Tourance EXP on the front and decided to try the Michelin Anakee 2 rear(new compound) to see how these work out.

Back