• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stepper motor cycles off & on with ignition switch off.

Griso Guy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
This is the same post from, "On board computer or dash problem with stepper motor".

A very strange thing happened. I put on a Stucchi rear fender license plate eliminator, attached the license plate light & I noticed that the stepper motor was cycling off & on, every 15 or so seconds, this is with the ignition switch off! Real odd. Any ideas???
Wondering if it could be possibly a computer or dash issue or should I put on a resistor? I think I am going to put a resistor in line first off.
Other than that my Griso runs very well. Engine spins up so quick, plugs are burning perfect power is great as is torque. Many people thought it would run like a pig since I done away with the air box, put on 2 K&N air filters, designed a battery box, disconnected the vacuum hoses & plugged the stepper motor vacuum nipples. Routed the head breather hoses into the throttle bodies to burn off the blow by.

Anyway about the problem any input is always welcome!
Doug

I can't speak about the Griso as I've not messed with any of the lighting.

However back in the day I had a Yamaha Road Star Warrior, adding LED lighting would cause the decompression solenoid on the engine to click and buzz upon shut down of the engine.

My point is that it is possible for additional or replacement lighting to have an adverse effect on seemingly unrelated parts.

On the Bellagio the tail light "Fuse" is on the same circuit as the the starter relay.
Thus, if you have a tail light issue you cannot start the bike and ride off into the night unawares.

There are many such systems in all vehicles today, save on fuses and protect the idiots from themselves.
Hence, the degredation of the gene pool.

ghezzi said:
On the Bellagio the tail light "Fuse" is on the same circuit as the the starter relay.
Thus, if you have a tail light issue you cannot start the bike and ride off into the night unawares.

There are many such systems in all vehicles today, save on fuses and protect the idiots from themselves.
Hence, the degredation of the gene pool.

With the Stucchi license plate bracket & light designed for the Griso is connected the bike does start & run with tail light & new Stucchi license plate light on. Only after shut down does the servo cycle the stepper motor all the time until turn ignition switch is on again.

Thanks
Doug

Bisbonian said:
I can't speak about the Griso as I've not messed with any of the lighting.

However back in the day I had a Yamaha Road Star Warrior, adding LED lighting would cause the decompression solenoid on the engine to click and buzz upon shut down of the engine.

My point is that it is possible for additional or replacement lighting to have an adverse effect on seemingly unrelated parts.

Thanks Bisbonian. There has to be a draw somewhere in the system that runs the stepper motor switch.
I know strange things do happen & this is one of them.
Thanks again.
doug

Well, according to the wiring diagram, the stepper motor is only connected to the ECU, so unless someone who understands the inner workings of said ECU comes along, it will be difficult to work out what has happened.
But as said before, if a fault happens just after some work has been done, then there is a 99% certainty that that work caused the fault.

Disconnect the battery let it sit overnight, Connect and see if it cleared up. Sounds weird but is known to clear up a myriad of problems

I swear this sounds familiar. I think someone else has had the same issue and it turned out to be a wiring error.
I agree with Brian, though. First thing to do is undo what was done and see if the problem goes away.

Griso Guy said:
With the Stucchi license plate bracket & light designed for the Griso is connected the bike does start & run with tail light & new Stucchi license plate light on. Only after shut down does the servo cycle the stepper motor all the time until turn ignition switch is on again.

Thanks
Doug

Far fetched but how do you shut down the engine?

On the Yamaha the problem would occur if the engine stop switch on the handlebar was used to shut down the engine, if the key was used to shut it down all was fine.

This is a stretch since the bikes are obviously not even similar.

Bisbonian said:
Griso Guy said:

Thanks
Doug[/quote

Far fetched but how do you shut down the engine?

On the Yamaha the problem would occur if the engine stop switch on the handlebar was used to shut down the engine, if the key was used to shut it down all was fine.

This is a stretch since the bikes are obviously not even similar.

As for the Griso, the engine shuts down just fine. It must be the on board computer or the route of all evil on these things, the DASH.

Okay, I now know that it's not the Stucchi rear fender eliminator license plate re-locator .
It must be either the infamous piece of junk DASH or the on board computer. I am leaning towards the dash since these things are nothing but junk causing so much trouble & costing over $800.00 which Guzzi should have recalled since it cost so many people a lot of money & headaches. When the mode selector was switched to mode, the mode screen is blank.
If you are thinking about putting on a rear fender eliminator license plate re-locator, the Stucchi unit is real neat & made very well.

Doug

Why should it be the dash when the stepper motor is only connected to the ECU?

But go ahead and change the dash if you are so convinced. You might find you wasted your money though.

I am not sure how you have eliminated the fender eliminator or the wiring changes that go with it but why you have decided it is the dash is beyond me. The blank screen on your dash is likely from your disconnecting and re-connecting of the battery. The dash is like a mini computer and if you have power interruption issues it may not boot up correctly. Disconnecting the power and letting it sit for a little while, pulling the main fuse, then connecting the battery and putting the fuse back in to smoothly power up the system.
The dash generally works fine and I have no idea why you think Guzzi should recall it.
Maybe you need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and start over.
Best of luck.

GuzziMoto said:
I am not sure how you have eliminated the fender eliminator or the wiring changes that go with it but why you have decided it is the dash is beyond me. The blank screen on your dash is likely from your disconnecting and re-connecting of the battery.

Yes, I agree. Having lost my odometer on my Breva 1100 (it was without a battery for several months), I have decided that before I disconnect and reconnect the battery, I pull the two 30A fuses. I don't know how well everyone else connects a battery, but I seem to have problems convincing the bolt to screw into the captive nut, and in the attempts appear to be continuously connecting and disconnecting the dash and anything else. That can't be good for the system and just asking for a failure.

Slapping the fuses back in is a cinch in comparison.

Dash in "diagnostic mode" blank & stepper motor cycling

When I went thru a few steps to eliminate possible causes.
When I switched from Trip 1 & 2 into "mode" the screen is blank. This is new. My steps to narrow down possible causes of why the stepper motor cycled on with ignition off. Disconnected battery for half an hour reconnected both the battery & Stucchi license plate light, stepper motor did not cycle. Turned on ignition switch started engine ran fine allowed the head & cylinders to get to temp & shut the ignition off. Stepper motor did in fact cycle every 10-15 seconds until battery was disconnected.
Anyone ever ran into a similar problem? Is there a way to by-pass the cycle wire to the stepper motor to prevent it from cycling when ignition off.
Has anyone ever rebuilt the dash?
I intend on trying to run a switch to the stepper motor to switch off the power going to it when ignition is off.
Guzzi should have recalled these dash's since there are so many issues & the cost is a factor. $885.00. Sorry but that's plain nuts for nothing.
I really hope Guzzi has a cheaper repair. Probably my last Guzzi.

kiwi dave said:
I don't know how well everyone else connects a battery, but I seem to have problems convincing the bolt to screw into the captive nut, and in the attempts appear to be continuously connecting and disconnecting the dash and anything else. That can't be good for the system and just asking for a failure.

Slapping the fuses back in is a cinch in comparison.
I put a short length of sleeving below the nut in the terminal. That holds it up and makes it easier to get the bolt threaded. I also hold the terminal down onto the battery post while doing up the bolt.
So far, no problems. :whistle:

Re: Dash in "diagnostic mode" blank & stepper motor cycling

Given that this is the third thread you have started on this subject, and that you have seemingly refused to take note of the previous answers, I can only assume you are trolling.

You have yet to do anything that eliminates the fender eliminator/wiring alterations as a cause based on what I have read in the multiple threads you have started on the subject.
You have also yet to post anything I have read that even suggests that the dash is even part of the problem.
You have been given suggestions and advice, it has been pointed out that while this is not a common occurrence you are not the first to experience this issue, and yet you ignore all that and continue to beat the dead horse that is the dash being the cause. You have told how and why your meddling with the electrical system has also resulted in the dashes current state and what you need to do about it. Yet as with the original complaint you refuse to listen. WTF?

Re: Dash in "diagnostic mode" blank & stepper motor cycling

Brian UK said:
Given that this is the third thread you have started on this subject, and that you have seemingly refused to take note of the previous answers, I can only assume you are trolling.

No not at all Brian. If the "subject line" didn't attract a tech or another owner that may have ran into a similar situation because I didn't write it properly, so therefor they may not actually go into & read it. If I rewrote it a bit different line & it is a subject they are familiar with maybe one will go to it or pass it onto someone they know. I had to rewrite it because of the issue that I may have thought caused it the "Stucchi" which didn't I wanted it known.
I was just asking & reworded it. I could have switched to a different name if I wanted to "troll" but I didn't.

Sorry for waiting your time.

GuzziMoto said:
You have yet to do anything that eliminates the fender eliminator/wiring alterations as a cause based on what I have read in the multiple threads you have started on the subject.
You have also yet to post anything I have read that even suggests that the dash is even part of the problem.
You have been given suggestions and advice, it has been pointed out that while this is not a common occurrence you are not the first to experience this issue, and yet you ignore all that and continue to beat the dead horse that is the dash being the cause. You have told how and why your meddling with the electrical system has also resulted in the dashes current state and what you need to do about it. Yet as with the original complaint you refuse to listen. WTF?

Okay, I be ignorant too. If you read this post on this page you will read that I had eliminated the Stucchi rear fender eliminator & license plate relocator. I said that it was not the problem! WTF back at ya.
It's now obvious that it has to be a dash issue since the dash is a problem with the Griso's. In Mode to do self diagnostics it is BLANK! You know, no letters no numbers nothing to say go f_ ___ myself or anything.
Instead of sounding like polite Guzzi riders of old, you sound more like BMW owners.
Just trying to get some info by explaining problems, possible problems & what I had done to try to figure out & possibly help others that may run into a similar problem down the road. If you don't have a dash problem on an older Griso, you will. Good luck.

Back