• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stornello Exhaust backfiring and popping

PA Sand

Tuned and Synch'ed
I've had a 2016 V7II Stornello for a month. Enjoying the bike, love it so far. It has the stock exhaust (Arrow) and the sound sticks out in a cool way from other street legals.

Anyway, when slowing down/throttling down the exhaust does some backfiring, making popping sounds. I dont mind it too much, actually kind of like it. Is this normal - anyone noticing it too? It definetly backfires more than the Stone/Special stock system - or the Agostini kit offered by Guzzi (also street legal here in Europe).
View attachment 13487

Well covered here... Per the notice at the top of the Forum, please search and read, then see; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool/

Thanks Todd, I have searched "Stornello Exhaust" and similar - and think I read most posts in related threads. As the Stornello has the Arrow exhaust I want to know if others have the same (sound) experience with backfiring/popping. Found nothing about that, do I search that poorly(?)

The reflash-thingy is over my head, I'm on factory guarantee til summer 2019. Plus that price (which Im sure is fair) + shipping + 25% VAT takes the fun out of it.

Thanks Todd, I have searched "Stornello Exhaust" and similar - and think I read most posts in related threads. As the Stornello has the Arrow exhaust I want to know if others have the same (sound) experience with backfiring/popping. Found nothing about that, do I search that poorly(?)
Yes, it's 100% fueling related.
The reflash-thingy is over my head, I'm on factory guarantee til summer 2019. Plus that price (which Im sure is fair) + shipping + 25% VAT takes the fun out of it.
I ship worldwide in a favorable manor. I can't be of help with anything else. My stuff works, most all other stuff does not. You get what you pay for. ;)

Right, but you have to separate a pro approach "how to solve it" from my more amateur:ish "is this normal?"-approach to it :)

I think it could be normal, and if so I'll leave it alone. Bike just came back from first service (1000km/600miles).

I ship worldwide in a favorable manor. I can't be of help with anything else. My stuff works, most all other stuff does not. You get what you pay for. ;)
I'm sure you do :)

- - -

With that said, any other Stornello-owners out there noticing gurgling/popping sounds as described in the OP?

Right, but you have to separate a pro approach "how to solve it" from my more amateur:ish "is this normal?"-approach to it :) I think it could be normal, and if so I'll leave it alone. Bike just came back from first service (1000km/600miles).
Pop on closed throttle (again talked about excessively on this Forum) is a ultra-lean condition on closed throttle, much less what you are doing to the engine running it on stock fueling... so up to you to abuse it or not. I have the solution if you don't.

With that said, any other Stornello-owners out there noticing gurgling/popping sounds as described in the OP?
Yes, I already answered it...

Pop on closed throttle (again talked about excessively on this Forum) is a ultra-lean condition on closed throttle, much less what you are doing to the engine running it on stock fueling... so up to you to abuse it or not. I have the solution if you don't.

Sry, dont understand that sentence.

Situation: Ridning normal in town, the guzzi/arrow exhaust sounds fine, going 25-30mph and a red light turns up 100 meters ahead, I close the throttle and often some gurgling/popping occur while bike is slowing down for a few seconds. Is this the abuse-part? Everything is fine at idle waiting for green, then fine again while driving away..

he gave you the answer and also told you where to find more info and what will fix it. Spend some time looking and learning from past posts and educate yourself on what's happening. Best of luck
20170927 174038

have you been re-torquing the header nuts?

Bike came back from first svc the other day (1000km/600mile), re-torquing almost everything is part of that and that might include header nuts. Is there a connection?

my 2015 need it every 300 miles for the first 2000. the 2017 is different and never needed it. it is a prime place for an air leak.
Simple to check them yourself. a good experienced dealer would have warned you when it was bought.

Another way to explain it:
The popping is normal but not good for the engine.

As Vagrant suggested it may be in part caused by loose exhaust but the engine is not getting enough fuel (this is called running lean) because of fuel emissions laws.

If you continue to run the bike as it presently is there is a good possibility that damage will occur as the mileage builds especially if you are doing a lot of in town, stop & go riding where temperature rises.

Another way to explain it:
The popping is normal but not good for the engine.

Thank you Trout, finally, that was all I was looking for.

For others: I am sure this forum attract newcomers like me so please give us some slack. Like me many will be familiar with search functions in forums, maybe more so than many skilled in mechanics here. What's lacking for me (still) is experience of the bike. So be like me when people ask me things in the field of photo- or videography, be patient. Or they'll leave.

Back