• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Strange tappings!

Thgil

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
Guys,My Griso has developed a noise from what I think is the left hand side of the engine.I'm not mechanically minded so bear with me.At 3000 rpm I get a real fast what I can only describe as tapping.It sounds like it's coming from the rocker cover.I had the valve clearances double checked and they are correct.Below 3000 its fine and after 3200 the noise goes.The injectors were balanced and set correctly.Any ideas?

Is your Griso the 8V 1200? IF so there is a recall out on the cam and tappets....

Are you sure its engine noise? I had an annoying rattling coming from the left side of my 06 1100.....it turned out to be the wiring shaking about under the tank & side panel. Easily fixed with a cable tie or bit of tape to hold it tight. I still get some rattle noise from there at certain revs (Ok its probably all the time but only audible at low-ish revs). I'm thinking of trying some self adhesive car panel sound dampening stuff under the side panels in case they are amplifying it.

I did have a good look round to see if something was loose but could not find anything.

I would look for the basic things like exhaust fasteners and maybe the bolts in th e side stand - If you don't find anything loose I would start the bike and slowly rev the engine and move you ear around the bike and see if you can pinpoint the sound - if it is from the valve cover you may want to go in and take a look...

Hi did you find the cause?
I have an 08 1100 with 2700km and it is starting to do exactly the same from 3000- 3250rpm sounds like left side. bit of a plastic rattle sound, thought it might be timming chain? or a pinging ?
Stationary in nuteal oe in gear wit hthe clutch in could not get it to do it. eengine when under load. :unsure:

I'm glad you brought this up because the left side/cylinder of my 07 is noisier than the right also. Always has been. The bike was used with 1200 miles on it and originally the left side was super clacky. I adjusted the valves and the sounds seemed to settle down to normal. But lately it just seems to be a little louder. Mine only bothers me at an idle and doesn't change with more rpms. The other day I did some intense listening and I don't think it's the valves. It may be coming from the front of the motor. Could something be going on with the alternator belt? Maybe getting loose? Maybe a tension pulley? I haven't been in there so I don't know what the components look like. I will take a look at the service manual. Oh Pete Roper. What's your experience?

Unless these bikes have done higher mileages, like over 50,000, I'd be surprised if it was the cam-chain or tensioner but that doesn't automatically rule it out.

The thing is the valves and rockers ARE prone to getting wear grooves on them which makes setting them accurately difficult. Also rocker spindles and bushes are sometimes prone to wear. You could try turning the spindles through 180* when you next check the valves and see if that quietens it down?

Belt change interval? Not sure without checking but I've done one at 50,000KM and it still looked as good as new with no cracking or undue oddness. Multi-V belts tend to either work or snap, they rarely need much tensioning before replacement in my experience.

Pete

Thanks for your insight Pete. I get it. Not a belt thing. You said, "You could try turning the spindles through 180* when you next check the valves and see if that quietens it down?" What do you mean by spindles? Is that the technical term? Please translate. I have the parts manual open and I don't see the term spindle.

I dunno what they're called but the shafts the rockers rock on!. You can remove the 6mm thread, 10mm head bolt that holds 'em in place at the 'Top' of each carrier and use a screwdriver in the slot in the end of the shaft to turn 'em 180*.

DO NOT be tempted to use longer bolts to locate 'em. The oil feed for the rockers comes up through the same 'ole from the head. If you use a longer bolt you plock the oil feed. Then the squeak before seizing up!!!!

Pete

rocketman said:
Thanks for your insight Pete. I get it. Not a belt thing. You said, "You could try turning the spindles through 180* when you next check the valves and see if that quietens it down?" What do you mean by spindles? Is that the technical term? Please translate. I have the parts manual open and I don't see the term spindle.

It is the shaft that goes through the rocker arms., In my Norge 's parts list it is called a Rocker shaft.

The tapping sound in mine sounds plastic and higher up like body work or even headlight. It doesnt have a metalic sound like a tappet or a ping or knock. i will investigate further today and see what i can find. thanks for the info and comments so far all good feed back.

I think I may know the cause of tappings or at least this is what I found on my 08, 4v Griso... I isolated the tapping and it was my headlight housing!!! I am 100% sure in my case.

I was troubled by what I thought to be the valves tapping, adjusted TWICE but not corrected. The tapping was related to RPM's, right near 3000!!! By holding the headlamp bulb I found while riding at that rpm, already hearing the tapping, the noise stopped when the bulb was pressed with my hand. I did this over and over and it always was the headlamp.

Yesterday I corrected the situation and it has not reoccured.

I took the headlamp ring off. Inside the housing is a brass spacer around the screw. I wrapped the screw with shrink tubing so it doesn't rattle. I don't think this was the cause though. I disassembled the two screws holding the headlamp bulb to the ring and coated the brass washers and screws lightly with silicone just to see if that was the cause. I'm not sure it was but I made certain they were now tight. I took apart the adjusting screw inside the spring and wrapped it like I did the first but I'm not sure that was the cause either as a test ride eventually found the noise returning!!! I again took the headlamp housing apart and lightly siliconed the ring to the plastic headlamp shell. I did this lightly so I can take it apart again. I also removed the housing a coated the bolts holding the housing to the black headlamp frame just to be on the safe side. I used clear silicone caulk because I had it at hand.

When the silicone had set yesterday I tested the bike. No noise. I rode again today and it's now fixed! The valve tapping in my bike wasn't valves although it seemed it be, it was the headlamp housing which is plastic and the ring around the housing which of course is stainless steel. I think it vibrates and the two surfaces are mated without any type of insulating material. The silicone was enough of a cushion between the surfaces and they no longer vibrate.

I would be interested in seeing if this is the same noise described in this post... ;)

vivo

I was waiting for a few more replys before i chimed in. Mine is also making this rattling sound. At first it did it for a while just after start up, but now it does it all the time. My dealer took it for a ride and reckoned it was the screen, so i changed all the bolts but it made no difference.
The headlight is the only thing i have not checked so i will have a look at it while the bike is waiting for the PCV.

I had the whole headlight assembly replaced under warranty because of that noise driving me insane.
Was the headlight ring rattling.

Hey Swaggs.

Wow they replaced it? Mine has now stopped after being siliconed and yes, it was the ring making noise. It drove me insane as well.

The bike is so much better now. It impressed me today, rode 120 miles, now it feels right! My clutch has been corrected by Ferracci, works flawlessly, tapping now gone, 3400 miles it's now sorted.

I'm enjoying the bike now... :p

Vivo

Well had a look at my head light.
gave it a test thump with the heal of my hand," and what do you know " there is that sound,now the question is do i fix it myself or go through the hassle of warranty as i got it with 2600km 08 ex demo (2 weeks old for me) now with 3010km.?
what else should it check as the 2 year warranty will be out in Jan 2010?

love the bike can't stop riding it, cant wait to get a propper pipe on it,
Got the GRISO GRIN, :)

Back