• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suggestions For Convert Improvements/Updates?

Dieself

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
I am a new owner of a 1977 Convert. The speedometer shows 62,521 miles (title says not actual miles). I am looking for suggestions concerning improvements to make my convert the best it can be. Also looking for the most cost effective ways to achieve my ongoing goal. I will be doing the work myself. What I do know about the bike so far. It runs strong, starts easily, and feels stable at 75 to 80 mph : ) I also noticed; The night vision sucks, clutch does not release without bumping it (sticky plates or notched hub & plates?), oil leaks at vicinity of valve covers/heads (valve cover gaskets in the mail), the transmission howls (I'm going to try redline per a thread I saw by BigBikerRick). I think I will nickname this bike "Howling Monkey". Throttle pull would break a chicken's neck (springs? where to buy?). The back brake is weak - I will continue to bleed/flush it, however when hand pressing the brake lever it has a catch about half way through. I noticed the speedometer is about 3 or 4 mph slow around town. I haven't checked it's accuracy on the highway. I guess that just about covers it. I'm all ears and appreciative for suggestions and ideas.
Thanks, Dan

784E93F9 91AF 414A 97F2 F50A376327E7

By this time I’m almost positive the torque converter has been apart. The exterior case wear on the engine block versus the torque converter, also make me think this.

By this time I’m almost positive the torque converter has been apart. The exterior case wear on the engine block versus the torque converter, also make me think this.
Hopefully that is a good thing. Here are pictures of the ring gear / flywheel. Am I correct that this is the all one piece heavy one?

Attachments

• DBFCD752-8618-4502-A271-1F37ED5317A4.jpeg
    DBFCD752-8618-4502-A271-1F37ED5317A4.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 522112C0-A98F-4B74-B787-8252D178F11C.jpeg
    522112C0-A98F-4B74-B787-8252D178F11C.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 9
The brakes are linked, so the rear may seem weak. One front balanced to the smaller rear disc through the magic of hydraulics. Front brake lever controls the other front disc. Try lubing or replacing clutch cable, and check adjustment on back of gear box.
What a beauty in all white!
Back in the 80's I owned a G5 (5 speed version of Convert). A friend had one of these. My first test ride took me down the drive way to the first stop light. Green light, feet up on the floorboards as I gassed it. Almost dumped it right there from the "lag" in the torque converter! :eek:
The dual points set-up is very stable if you are thinking electronic ign. My clutch hub started acting up at 55K miles, which made for a grabby clutch, but you are only shifting between low and high, so try the simpler options first.
All the Tontis had optimistic speedos, keeps you out of trouble, and you can't send your ticket to Mandello and complain....
If you take the time and effort, prepare to get hooked.
Happy New Year!

For the headlight to function better, rig 2 each 30 amp relays that are supplied 12 volts to power your headlight directly from the battery on a fused line. Use the existing circuitry in the headlight shell to trigger the relays. You will need 2 relays, one in-line fuse, wire, one loop wire connector, bulk wire, and male and female spade connectors, and an extra headlight socket. Look at the schematic for the relays and it is easy to figure out the circuitry. Use male spade connectors to make your connections to the existing headlight socket of the bike harness.

On my '76 Convert I switched to an LED headlight (and every other bulb on the bike as well) and have inexpensive LED driving lights mounted low on the crashbars. The Convert charging system sometimes has trouble keeping the battery charged due to the engine not always running at higher rpms. The LED headlight helps lessen the load considerably. I'd also recommend replacing the original electro-mechanical voltage regulator with a solid state one and adding a "bootstrap harness" from Greg Bender to the charging light circuit.

When I had my Convert almost completely apart, I replaced any worn parts in the clutch... and it still sticks. I pull the clutch in when I first start the engine and after a blip or two of throttle it will release. The only time you really need to use it is when starting and for shifting between ranges, so it's not worth tearing the whole bike apart to me. The late Mike Tiberio used to remove the clutch actuating parts (and shift pedal stuff too) from all of his Converts.

Howling transmission is not normal. My favorite gear oil for problem transmission is Royal Purple Gear Max (not to turn this into an oil thread).

Lube the cables and throttle - that'll help some. Teflon lined cables may help a bit more. VHB carbs rely on the heavy springs to seal the slides against the carb body, sometimes when lighter springs are used the engine speed doesn't drop down like it should. I installed a pair of vintage "Fin Q" grips with a wrist rest molded in and they help a lot.

If there's a "catch" about half way on the rear brake, then the master cylinder could be on it's way to failing. Might be time for a rebuild or replacement. If you still have the original rubber hoses (there's a date code printed on them) then I would recommend replacing them with stainless braided brake hoses.

3 to 4 mph error is normal.

If the fluid/transmission hoses haven't been replaced recently, then I'd recommend doing that. They're not under a lot of pressure, but a burst hose will not be fun.

This is all good stuff. Thank you Amboman, John, and Nordicnorm. After flushing the linked brake system real good I have a much better response. I'll look into locating a rebuild kit for the master cylinder.
I agree about the clutch. I can live without it, it's not worth pulling everything apart.
Good idea to replace brake lines with stainless and to replace the hoses.
I believe that I have a deep sump as the dip stick (about 110 mm) only shows oil at the low level mark after dumping the oil and filling with 3 quarts. I'm thinking that if I do indeed have a deep sump that I might be able to use the larger oil filter. Does anyone know off hand? I have a 6.0 Guzziology book I will search through. Haynes manual will be here friday.
The u-joint boot looks fairly new so I'm hopeful about the u-joint. Eventually I will pull the joint for peace of mind. I had my G5 u-joint come apart on me at aprox 75 mph.
The Redline did quieten down the gear box, at least so far.

Dan

1615035B 8E27 4275 BD92 8DFEB87E204A 0589F06A A56F 4FF2 A141 CB05DF4538D1

I can't tell from your lead photo what sump your Convert has - perhaps a closer shot down low will. I have a sump spacer on mine.

Along with what Amboman said about the sump, you will need an adapter to use the larger oil filter like the CARC bikes. I don't know if Todd sells them from the store but check there with an e-mail if needed. I know at one time Harper's Moto Guzzi sold them.

If someone has installed a deep sump, there's a good chance it already has the larger filter.

The correct dipstick for the deep sump is ~ 140 mm long. I like the "finger twist" type so that I don't need to carry a 22 mm socket, extension and ratchet with me. :)

Hopefully that is a good thing. Here are pictures of the ring gear / flywheel. Am I correct that this is the all one piece heavy one?
Now that I finally have a monitor that shows photos more clearly (old one died suddenly), yes, that appears to be the heavy machined flywheel.

Back