• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suspension settings

FrostBittenCanadian

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
HI, Any suspension setup wizards out there? I was wondering if anyone has played with the settings on their Stelvios at all. I have been out today and taken it for a blast on the freeway this morning. I haven't really opened it up too much as the Km. is still quite low (1500 km.), anyway had it up to 125-140 kph (about 75-85 mph) for a while on two different freeways (both pretty smooth surfaces) and I noticed the front end felt a little vague though the back end felt nice and planted. I have had my bike up to about 140 kph on two lane highways previously but not for an extended period like today and never noticed this feeling previously. The settings on the front are straight out of the box , with the rear preload turned up to about 24 clicks from bottom , dampening on the rear end is straight out of the box. The wind was gusting a bit but I didn't think it was bad enough to contribute. Any one else noticed anything like this? Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
FBC

FrostBittenCanadian wrote:
Wow...it's like I farted at the dinner table LOL.

Oh, those crazy Canucks, can't take them to dinner anywhere...

A proper response: I am not a suspension expert at all, but I have had those adjustments on my list of things to do forever, and before last weekend's big run I finally got around to setting them. I wanted to set a baseline (not trusting that the defaults were where they were supposed to be.) I set all of the settings per the manual using the middle recommendation (with passenger) since I tend to weigh about what one of those Italian testers weigh assuming they bring a friend along as well :cheer:

I haven't noticed any vague feelings in the front, certainly not cruising in a straight line. I had it up to about 90 mph for about 10 miles and it tracked just fine.

I do feel there might be some improvement when carving canyons, but I was too preoccupied this weekend to make any mental notes and start tweaking. Later this summer for sure.

Hey Tex, thanks for the input, I was thinking of doing the same as I'm sure my 240lbs neked is heavier than your average Italian. But tell me how did you get at the dampening adjustment on the rear shock as it seems to be pretty much blocked by the lower linkage on the Stelvio with the bikes weight on the rear wheel or with no weight on the rear (on centerstand). Didn't really see how I'd get at it with the quick look I took at it this morning?
FBC

I haven't fooled with the forks at all, left them the way they came from the stealer.

I have played with the rear suspension, I use the bike 2 up, we are not small by any means. The way it came from the factory I was dragging the side stand and center stand all over the place.

I used the table in the owners manual to set the preload and rebound. All I know is I cranked and cranked on the spring and I believe I set the other at 24 or 26 clicks.....that little screw is a b*tch to get at, just gotta hold your month in the proper position :laugh:

The ride is now FIRM, the way I like it and the big beast doesn't wallow in the turns like a HD Ultra :p

What did you use to get at it KWN? I'm sure I can come up with something ( Got a real big snap on box 'o' tools at work) But easier is always better.
FBC

Yo Frost Bit,

I put bike on the center stand and used a long skinny screw driver and held it at an angle and counted the clicks.

OH! Also, I had the wife holding the adult beverage for me.........that could be the additional special tool you may need, not necessarily a wife but maybe a significant other.:p

BigTex and KWN: I set my suspension front and rear the other day to the medium load setting and so far so good, bike is a lot more stable through bumpy curves ,suspension is firm ( but it always was) seems to be dampening much better in the rear. Haven't had it out for a good long ride since , I let y'all know how it plays.
FBC

Tex and KWN; Have ridden under varying conditions ( no load and lightly loaded) and setting to the medium load suspension settings works well for someone my size(about 260 lb with gear) will definitely crank em all up to heavy load with girlfriend and full luggage aboard. Thanks for your help with this matter ,I appreciate it.
FBC

GrahamNZ has written a set of VERY detailed guidelines on how to set one's suspension. I'm not sure on what version of the board that was though, and it seems all my bookmarks to interesting posts have gone useless once again...

Hey Frosty,

Ned at Dual Sport Riding has published a very good Pdf on setting up a Dual Sport bike's suspension.

You are taking your Stelvio off road aren't you - PLease say yes - even iff it's "down the river" for a picnic :silly:

I've had it down some shitty dirt roads in farm country Mike, but not really although some of the roads in Toronto have much in common with third world goat paths. According to our Mayor ,we're a world class city...we should be ashamed! Oh yeah gravel roads too,as long as your speed is not too high it is suprisingly sure footed for a 550lb. bike. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of places close to Toronto to ride off road. Toronto may only have a population of about 4 million,but it covers a massive amount of ground, in area it is huge. Thanks for the tip on the setup, and I'll see if I can find it RJ.
FBC

FrostBittenCanadian wrote:
BigTex and KWN: I set my suspension front and rear the other day to the medium load setting and so far so good, bike is a lot more stable through bumpy curves ,suspension is firm ( but it always was) seems to be dampening much better in the rear.
FBC, I got to put the big S in some semi-serious off-road situations, and the stock suspension is horrifically under-sprung. I was able to drag the skid-plate/pan on things I shouldn't have, at very low speeds, and I'm ~200 lbs. w/gear. I'd wager that the rear shock is the same spec (spring wise) that comes on the Norge... and I'm checking into the front springs (unless someone can pull one and measure it for me). I plan on offering upgrade fork springs direct from Marzocchi as soon as I get the spring dimensions.
I'll be watching for further posts from you.

Really, Hmmm I'll let you know what I find with it as I put more miles on it here. I was actually thinking of taking it to a local performance shop that is supposed to be pretty good with suspension setup. That and I was thinking I should get my ass back on my mountain bike and my Nordic track. Ya wanna go faster...go on a diet!! I'll be interested to see what you come up with as I have wondered how much travel I am using up, just sitting my ass on it. Thank god the girlfriend is a little thing. Thats pretty bad if you could scrape the pan. I myself think the rearend is probably the weak link. I find the most wallowing going on there.
FBC

GT-Rx wrote:
FBC, I got to put the big S in some semi-serious off-road situations, and the stock suspension is horrifically under-sprung.
I need a much better rear spring for mine. I've been dragging bit and bottoming out a lot. I've wondered if an after market Norge spring would work. Not sure how to compress it to get it off though.

The rear shock damping may be OK, I really haven't played with it much. I have it set to the middle of the range and it is just a little soft.

Guys, I'd be happy to check into the rear spring if any one can get me the (accurate) length, overall diameter and spring coil diameter.

Wayne Orwig wrote:
GT-Rx wrote:
FBC, I got to put the big S in some semi-serious off-road situations, and the stock suspension is horrifically under-sprung.
I need a much better rear spring for mine. I've been dragging bit and bottoming out a lot. I've wondered if an after market Norge spring would work. Not sure how to compress it to get it off though.

Wayne, if you dont have access to a proper press, I've had success using hose clamps and tightening them down on both sides of the spring, you need 4 or more hose clamps, but you can cheaply and safely compress the spring that way.
Cheers,

guzzi jon wrote:
Wayne Orwig wrote:
GT-Rx wrote:

Wayne, if you dont have access to a proper press, I've had success using hose clamps and tightening them down on both sides of the spring, you need 4 or more hose clamps, but you can cheaply and safely compress the spring that way.
Cheers,

Was that on a regular twin shock setup, or a monoshock. Looks to be a lot of loading on that monoshock spring.

It was on a monoshock on my 2000 Kawasaki ZX-9R, worked much easier than I expected, I did put some duct tape around the spring where the clamps were to prevent them from scratching the powder coat. I also did it in several steps going ~coils at a time, compress them and then start on the next set of coils, I believe I used 6 hose clamps but the sucker went down nicely and was easy to release. You just have to work back and forth, but I am cheap and lazy so it was the perfect solution for me.

Back