• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suspicious Screech - Transmission or Camshaft?

MotoGuzzi12

Tuned and Synch'ed
I'm back!

Not sure what I got going on right now...

I was having this issue towards the end of last season and now that I've finished putting my front end back together I'd like to revisit this loud noise before it become a more serious issue.

I'm hearing a loud screech as I release the clutch (mostly neutral to first but also other gears).

I'm hoping I just need to replace the trans oil or some other fluid but let me know if anyone has an idea as to what would cause this or if you've remedied this problem before.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Want to make sure I understand correctly:

The noise happens when you pull the clutch lever in & are holding it in?
OR
The noise happens when you are releasing the clutch lever?

The first thought that comes to mind is the clutch release bearing which would normally make a screech (if bad) when you pull in the clutch lever & are then putting pressure on the bearing.

If the transmission shifts fine & there are no shimmys or shakes or noises going down the road I would be more inclined to say clutch release bearing.

Want to make sure I understand correctly:

The noise happens when you pull the clutch lever in & are holding it in?
OR
The noise happens when you are releasing the clutch lever?

The first thought that comes to mind is the clutch release bearing which would normally make a screech (if bad) when you pull in the clutch lever & are then putting pressure on the bearing.

If the transmission shifts fine & there are no shimmys or shakes or noises going down the road I would be more inclined to say clutch release bearing.
The noise occurs as the clutch lever is released.

The throw out bearing would make noise when you squeeze the clutch, not when you release. You may have a mis-alignment of the clutch plate to the input shaft of the gearbox. The screech may be the clutch plate trying to center. Also possible the clutch plate is just making noise on engagement. If there is a glaze, there may be some slippage that makes the noise. If the bike has the original clutch plate, it is quite old at this point.

As to replacing the throw out bearing, relatively simple once the swing arm is removed. However I don't think that is your issue.

What John said: 100%

The choice is:
1) Tear it down before serious damage which requires trans removal. Not sure if frame can be "crabbed" so engine does not have to come out. Use the search box & put in Crab.
2) Continue to ride until it becomes worse then tear it down.

If you continue to ride & the mis-alignment is serious then you may be taking a chance on damage to the front bearing & seal on the trans & a more extensive repair to the clutch & clutch hub.

I hate to admit this but depending on how loud the noise is & if there was a "shudder" present when starting out in first I would probably continue to ride it for awhile. I have a habit of putting things off & then when I do fix it I replace everything "while I'm in there".

Thank you all - I had the clutch plate replace just over a year ago so that's a bit disheartening.

I had that done at my local shop so maybe I'll just take it back there to see what my mechanic thinks.

If the bike has been sitting for awhile (especially if there is dampness) it is possible that some rust has formed on the clutch spline causing the mis-alignment John mentioned.

Like I said I would probably ride it easy for a bit & maybe work that clutch a little. If it starts getting worse then park it & fix it.

I had a similar thing. It sounded like this:

The problem was that a mechanic (I don't use his service anymore) did not fill enough oil in the gearbox. I added extra gearbox oil 1000 ml (not 900 ml like the manual says) and the bad noise disappeared, but a mild whine remains.

I had a similar thing. It sounded like this:

The problem was that a mechanic (I don't use his service anymore) did not fill enough oil in the gearbox. I added extra gearbox oil 1000 ml (not 900 ml like the manual says) and the bad noise disappeared, but a mild whine remains.

Thanks Auris - this looks/sounds like it may be the same issue.

I'll post a video sometime this week...

Thanks Auris - this looks/sounds like it may be the same issue.

I'll post a video sometime this week...

I - and many others - had this issue.

It's a design fault. The fix is a replacement clutch actuator rod. Most have this happen within, say 12,000kms. Mine happened just before it's 2 year warrentee ran out.

Back