• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

T3-850 issue getting running correctly with VHB30C

katit

Just got it firing!
Spent some time this weekend messing with a bike and trying to get it running properly.

PO claimed it had "carb issue". What it was - it would run mainly on right carb. Those are Dellorto's VHB 30 carbs.

What is not stock about the bike:
a. 950cc cylinders
b. Dyna ignition
c. Some aftermarket coils
d. K&N filters
e. Exhaust

I did verify/adjust valves
I did check compression (pretty much equal slightly below 150psi measured cold)
When checking spark I noticed left plug was sparking on a side, incorrectly, barely. Spark plugs were wrong. New spark plugs spark correctly.

Then I went about carbs rebuild:
New larger mains (130 instead of 120)
New floats and needles
New main needles and needle jets. Needles were incorrect V5, installed new V9
New adjuster screws (per Guzziology)
New #60 slides (per Guzziology). MORE ON THIS LATER
Flipped choke rubbers, verified they seal correctly
Floats (one specifically) was sticking to float cover, had to shave off some plastic moulding to make it move correctly.
Float levels adjusted. Float needle sealing verified.

Once all that was done I went for test rides. Default carb adjustor settings, adjusted throttles to idle.

Ride #1. Running on both cylinders, but not "nice" Feels sluggish on take-off, 1/4-1/2 throttle. But runs and rides. Just doesn't feel right.

Went about adjusting carbs per manual (similar how airheads done). Right carb was good on screw adjustment as-is. Left one - I had to turn needle in full turn (lean) to make it run best.
When adjusting for running on one cylinder (per manual) - need to lift left slide more to make it run. When adjusting using TwinMax - it's different and once adjusted it wouldn't idle just on left. But left cylinder does run once right one helping.

Ignition timing verified using timing light. Good.

Ride #2. Runs crappy. Popping from a carb (I think).

Reset left to correct default needle setting.

Ride #3. Running, no popping but it doesn't run correctly in 1/4-1/2 throttle.

Replaced slides with stock #40s

Ride #4. Runs and rides great for the most part! So, #60 slides were waste of money :(
Spent some time riding, liking this Guzzi more

Checked spark plugs. Right one - lean. Left one - black, wet inside.
So it is NOT correct :(

Now my line of thought was why? Carbs good (ultrasonically cleaned, visually verified all passages and blew every hole and ject with carb clean and pressure air)

Maybe bad coil on left side? Anyways..

I decided to swap carbs L<->R and see if problem stays on L side.

Ride #5. Runs about the same. I didn't adjust anything.

After 15 miles or so - R plug is black and L plug is white.

So, it's not timing, not ignition. IT IS carbs. But what?

Any ideas on what to look for? Plug being "white" is not bad, I think slightly bigger pilot jet will fix it. But I need to figure out what the H is wrong with left carb.

My next steps:
1. Get carbs back into correct spots. I will double-check floats move freely (not sticking) and float levels.
2. Run and see if problem persists.
3. Swap choke plungers L/R and see if problem migrates to other side.
4. ? Ordered colortune, want to visually see what is going on, but not sure it will help me any if I will have all the basics checked..

Attachments

• IMG_8105.jpg
    IMG_8105.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8104.jpg
    IMG_8104.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8103.jpg
    IMG_8103.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 5
I would thoroughly clean the problem carb again. Pass a thin guitar string or similar though every passageway. I doesn't take much to mess it up. Then do the full set up and balancing.

Is that the carb that you trimmed the float? If so, float level may be too high as it will be lighter. Also what Raven said. Those white floats are a bit lighter than the originals. I set the float level a few mm less so they stop fuel flow further from the carb base.

Is that the carb that you trimmed the float? If so, float level may be too high as it will be lighter. Also what Raven said. Those white floats are a bit lighter than the originals. I set the float level a few mm less so they stop fuel flow further from the carb base.
Yess.. I will need to check weights. They are 8.5g. I actually trimmed both and set them both the same.

I almost tend to check left carb again, clean thoroughly and then start moving parts one by one.
Swap chokes, then swap floats/needles, then swap accelerator tube with jet, etc to see if problem migrates. Does it sound right?

Yess.. I will need to check weights. They are 8.5g. I actually trimmed both and set them both the same.

I almost tend to check left carb again, clean thoroughly and then start moving parts one by one.
Swap chokes, then swap floats/needles, then swap accelerator tube with jet, etc to see if problem migrates. Does it sound right?
Trying individual component swaps one at a time is a logical step(s). Hope fully you may find the issue. Again clean passages are a must. I didn't look that closely at the kits you put in, did it include float needle and seat? Sometimes I just burnish the seat with a wooden chopstick that I sharpen like a pencil to improve the needle sealing. In addition, if memory serves me correctly original floats are around 10-12 grams.

Trying individual component swaps one at a time is a logical step(s). Hope fully you may find the issue. Again clean passages are a must. I didn't look that closely at the kits you put in, did it include float needle and seat? Sometimes I just burnish the seat with a wooden chopstick that I sharpen like a pencil to improve the needle sealing. In addition, if memory serves me correctly original floats are around 10-12 grams.
I got all parts from Harpers. I didn't replace float needle seats, just needles. I use those on a picture mounted in a drill with bit of polish applied to gently clean/polish seats. Blowing in with carb upside down show no leaks, but thats not 100% reliable. On other carbs I use those clear tubes to see actual levels but unfortunately VHB carbs don't allow for this :(

Attachments

• IMG_8173.jpg
    IMG_8173.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
Original floats are (nominally) 14g.

Spent some time this weekend messing with a bike and trying to get it running properly.

PO claimed it had "carb issue". What it was - it would run mainly on right carb. Those are Dellorto's VHB 30 carbs.

What is not stock about the bike:
a. 950cc cylinders
b. Dyna ignition
c. Some aftermarket coils
d. K&N filters
e. Exhaust

I did verify/adjust valves
I did check compression (pretty much equal slightly below 150psi measured cold)
When checking spark I noticed left plug was sparking on a side, incorrectly, barely. Spark plugs were wrong. New spark plugs spark correctly.

Then I went about carbs rebuild:
New larger mains (130 instead of 120)
New floats and needles
New main needles and needle jets. Needles were incorrect V5, installed new V9
New adjuster screws (per Guzziology)
New #60 slides (per Guzziology). MORE ON THIS LATER
Flipped choke rubbers, verified they seal correctly
Floats (one specifically) was sticking to float cover, had to shave off some plastic moulding to make it move correctly.
Float levels adjusted. Float needle sealing verified.

Once all that was done I went for test rides. Default carb adjustor settings, adjusted throttles to idle.

Ride #1. Running on both cylinders, but not "nice" Feels sluggish on take-off, 1/4-1/2 throttle. But runs and rides. Just doesn't feel right.

Went about adjusting carbs per manual (similar how airheads done). Right carb was good on screw adjustment as-is. Left one - I had to turn needle in full turn (lean) to make it run best.
When adjusting for running on one cylinder (per manual) - need to lift left slide more to make it run. When adjusting using TwinMax - it's different and once adjusted it wouldn't idle just on left. But left cylinder does run once right one helping.

Ignition timing verified using timing light. Good.

Ride #2. Runs crappy. Popping from a carb (I think).

Reset left to correct default needle setting.

Ride #3. Running, no popping but it doesn't run correctly in 1/4-1/2 throttle.

Replaced slides with stock #40s

Ride #4. Runs and rides great for the most part! So, #60 slides were waste of money :(
Spent some time riding, liking this Guzzi more

Checked spark plugs. Right one - lean. Left one - black, wet inside.
So it is NOT correct :(

Now my line of thought was why? Carbs good (ultrasonically cleaned, visually verified all passages and blew every hole and ject with carb clean and pressure air)

Maybe bad coil on left side? Anyways..

I decided to swap carbs L<->R and see if problem stays on L side.

Ride #5. Runs about the same. I didn't adjust anything.

After 15 miles or so - R plug is black and L plug is white.

So, it's not timing, not ignition. IT IS carbs. But what?

Any ideas on what to look for? Plug being "white" is not bad, I think slightly bigger pilot jet will fix it. But I need to figure out what the H is wrong with left carb.

My next steps:
1. Get carbs back into correct spots. I will double-check floats move freely (not sticking) and float levels.
2. Run and see if problem persists.
3. Swap choke plungers L/R and see if problem migrates to other side.
4. ? Ordered colortune, want to visually see what is going on, but not sure it will help me any if I will have all the basics checked..
I had a similar problem with a rebuilt, left side choke wasn’t clearing properly causing similar issues to yours

Can you elaborate? Currently I have individual chokes.
Mine has the two cables running to the chokes and the left hand side choke cable was sticking leaving the choke partly on.
Not sure if this can happen with separate chokes, but the symptoms sound similar with the popping and wet plug etc.

Back