• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

TBS Sync After Valve Clearance Adj???

guzziben47

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Well, I checked the TB Sync a while ago, and it was way off, even though by bike had just been in for the 1,000 mile service (looks like the dealer never touched the TB's). So I did the Sync and re-set the TPS, and the bike runs better.

After continuing to read posts here about set up issues, I decided to check the valve clearances, and they were way off too (looks like the dealer never touched the valves either). All eight valves were loose, some of them VERY loose (the exhaust valves). So I adjusted them all to spec.

And while I was in the garage, I also tried tightening up the throttle cables a bit. The one that opens the throttle is easy enough to adjust, but I wasn't completely sure how to tell whether the one that closes the throttle needed to be tightened.

Anyway, now that I adjusted the TB's first and then did the valves second, do I have to go back and do the TB's again? In hindsight, I probably would have done those two things in the reverse order, but does it make a difference?

Can I go ride now or do I still have more work to do?

Ben,

I general you would do the valve clearance......TBs sync ....... reset the TPS.
In my opinion in that order.
Valve clearance can change the TBs vacuum......Adjusting the TB sync will balance the throttle bodies.......reseting the TPS will assure you the ECU is in sync with the mechanical adjustements.

guzziben47 said:
And while I was in the garage, I also tried tightening up the throttle cables a bit. The one that opens the throttle is easy enough to adjust, but I wasn't completely sure how to tell whether the one that closes the throttle needed to be tightened.

Also I wouldn't suggest to tighten up the throttle cable ...... you should have some play on the RH hand grip.

guzziben47 said:

Anyway, now that I adjusted the TB's first and then did the valves second, do I have to go back and do the TB's again? In hindsight, I probably would have done those two things in the reverse order, but does it make a difference?

If you remove the slack from one cable, you are also removing the slack from the other cable. One adjustment is all the is needed. As Dan mentioned, be sure that you eave a little slack.

Again, as Dan mentioned. valves, TB sync, the TPS reset.
If it is running smooth, go ride it.

Ben:
Not sure if this applies to your situation, but the mechanic at Rennaisance mentioned that the throttle bodies should be adjusted at operating temperature, not cold. Maybe one more variable to eliminate. Good luck.

Solow

Couple of things. Yes, TB sync should be done at operating temp. with any of the tuning tools, Axone/Nagerbator/VDSTS you can see the engine temp. The book recommends 'Over 60*C as a suitable cutoff point.

On the throttle cable thing? As I'm sure I've said elsewhere remove as much of the free play as you can but then with the engine running, turn the bars lock-to-lock to ensure that they don't get stretched and cause the engine to race. The point of removing as much free play as possible is to erradicate *Slop* in the transition from closed to open throttle and visa-versa. it's not magic, just making control more exact.

Pete

Doing valves before sync also works well because the valve adjustment should be cold, while the sync should be warm. I do the valves first thing, then wam the bike and sync and TPS.

On the subject of valve clearance adjustments ..... the maintenance manual recommends to check them After Run-in period of 1500km and there after every year or 10000km.

I did get them check at 1500km but seem to hear them ticking now at 3500km.
Gotta say its a couple of days now .... I've been driving a little harder keeping rpms between 4.5k and 5.5k range.

Should I open the covers and check them again or wait a while longer ....... till 10k?

I've read the clearances will close up during the first 5,000 km. I don't want them to get too tight, so I'm going to keep an eye on mine (i.e. check them more often than the manual recommends) until I get that many miles on the clock....

pete roper said:
My experience was that mine closed up consistently until about 10,000km and then remained constant. Since I did the cam recall they have hardly changed at all.

Pete
guzziben47 said:
I've read the clearances will close up during the first 5,000 km. I don't want them to get too tight, so I'm going to keep an eye on mine (i.e. check them more often than the manual recommends) until I get that many miles on the clock....

Thanks for the info!

Back