• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Temperature at Exhaust Collector?

JAS

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi everyone:

I would like to make up an exhaust gasket for the joint between the collector and muffler on my MG 1200 Sport (2007). I want to make the gasket flexible in an attempt to reduce a high frequency vibration problem I am currently experiencing (see agostini pipe vibration issue post).

I am planning to wrap some fibreglass tape around the header followed by a few layers of silicon tape (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NA2829) and then another couple of layers of fibreglass tape. Silicon tape is rated at a constant temp up to 400F / 200 deg C.

My question is, would the temperature at the header exceed 200 deg C during normal operation?

I would imagine that the header pipe at the cylinder head where exhaust gas of around 900 deg C, would be hotter than 400F, but am not sure what the temp would be at the collector 900cm down stream.

Would be happy to hear of any other ideas for making a soft gasket to isolate the muffler from the header.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason
I recently measured the temp on my Breva 1100 using a very basic thermocouple held by hand pressure against the headers and connected to a digital meter and after a run the temp I got was over 400 deg C, at at the muffler outlet it was 75 dec C. I need to get hold of an infra red/non contact thermometer (jaycar QM-7221) to get a more accurate reading. I'm convinced my bike is running cooler since I reset the TPS from 4.6 to 6.6 degrees.
watch this space.
Cheers Kevin

Kevin:

Thanks for this information. From your measurements I would guess that area is probably around 200-300 deg C.

I think I will risk it and see what happens....

Jason

Hi there I have put on a crossover on my Breva 1100 to get rid of the cat....

It now has an annoying rattle at about 4000rpm on deceleration.

Is this the same problem you have?

Have tried to search the Agostini thread you mentioned but I cannot find it, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Any help appreciated

No there is no rattle, just increased vibration from stock. I have made up a new pipe from the muffler to the collector which fits much better than the pipe from the factory and has a flange that allows a gasket to be inserted between the pipe and the collector. This has reduced the vibration (still vibrates more than stock though) however there is a slight exhaust leak from this joint so I am going to replace my homemade silicon tape / fibreglass tape gasket with a factory gasket.

See the original post here: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=42760.0 I couldn't find the original guzzi tech post...

Back