• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Terrible Experience with V7 Racer 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
GT-Rx said:
I think we can wrap this thread with this simple summary; Guzzi is largely still a hand-built, niche marque. Problems arise. It is up to the dealer to handle in depth problems under warranty, and truly do a PDI (a large amount of them don't sad to say).
The small issues that arise due to simple/cheap related items (not including cosmetics like the fuel tank issues), should be addressed by an owner that is willing to solve those without prejudice, as frustrating as that is to those who spend upwards of $10k+ U.S. It's what owning a fairly exclusive brand entails.
Assuming that folks buying the V7 are those who'd rather buy new, then dive into owning a older "café'd" UJM or equivalent. If those reading this thread feel as though it shouldn't be, I'd recommend look to another brand (which they all also have many issues). Nothing is perfect. Guzzi builds pretty solid motorbikes for those who get passed the small (and even occasionally large) issues.
To add to that. I have owned Italian bikes for 35 years( MVAgusta x 3, Ducati x to many to remember,Motoplast Kawasaki,Bimota,and the V11) and part of what makes them so rewarding for SOME people to own and why SOME people become so devoted to them is because they "demand" input from the owner. That's what makes owning them special, not everyone is prepared to make that input.The ones that do, identify with those of similar commitment and we all can tut tut at those that just want to jump on a bike ride it and let the dealer handle the mechanical stuff.
I respect those that just want the joy of riding and for them I say you are probably going to be better off on a Japanese bike because that is their forte, stone reliable and minimum fuss.
I enjoy owning a computer and the useful tool it is but I have zero interest in building or maintaining one so I guess that is a parallel of sorts.
Owing an Italian bike is partly a journey of personal growth, same as a relationship with a good woman. Can be very rewarding or very frustrating depending on what type of person you are.
Ciao

I would suggest that you STOP adjusting the clutch. Something doesn't sound right. Are you trying to get ALL of the freeplay out of the cable system? If so, you are likely overloading or over-using the throwout bearing at the back of the transmission. When that bearing wears, adjustment changes rapidly. Normally, when a Guzzi clutch wears, the system gets tighter and you have to loosen the adjustments. If yours is constantly getting looser and you have to re-tighten, then you've perhaps destroyed the bearing. Better inspect it NOW before the front tip of the throwout shaft bores a hole through the clutch and you're then in for major work.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

I can understand the orig poster. He got a Guzzi, not really knowing about "the Guzzi experience."
In a middle east country with little support from other riders or the dealer.
Like jumping into the fire.

Hi folks, I'm back, had issues singing into the forum.

So, the udpate is that my bike has been at the dealer since November, awaiting new parts, including a couple of hose clips that I believe were recalled (according to my dealer).
Frustrating as Christmas, New years etc and apparently a move to a new facility has meant the Guzzi head office has been very very slow to dispatch my new parts (the T-union connector and the new clips).

Waiting patiently...

Why would you be waiting for a T fitting and some hose clamps. There is no reason I know of for a delay in getting these parts from the factory, but it seems you could source them locally quicker and cheaper.
Unless the weather was bad this time of year, like where I live, I could not see waiting all this time for such minor parts.
Sounds like somebody is dropping the ball here (the dealer?) and you are waiting for parts you should not be waiting for.
Have you read the posts from while you were gone?

GuzziMoto said:
Why would you be waiting for a T fitting and some hose clamps. There is no reason I know of for a delay in getting these parts from the factory, but it seems you could source them locally quicker and cheaper.
Unless the weather was bad this time of year, like where I live, I could not see waiting all this time for such minor parts.
Sounds like somebody is dropping the ball here (the dealer?) and you are waiting for parts you should not be waiting for.
Have you read the posts from while you were gone?

Hi dude, the Guzzi factory in Italy are seriously i competent, 6 weeks has passed and they havent even bloody shipped the parts - ive lost a lot of respect for the brand. The clips i can replace locally. Ut the T piece hasnt been found. Thats besides the point, when you spend over 10,000 on a bike in the year 2012 you expect it to work and not have these endless problems only to be backed up by absolutely crap responses from the factory. Xmas and new yeaars are over now they need to ease off the chianti and get back to work. Being based in the middle east means our local market for parts is shallow, plus the dealer carries most common parts, not the entire catalog. There are less than 20 Guzzis on the road in the entire country here.

And yes ive read the posts.

Clearly, you are not happy with your purchase and I can understand your frustration to a degree. That being said, you bought a Moto Guzzi, not a Honda. The bike is not mass produced, the dealer network is sketchy. I knew these things before I purchased my bike and I expect to get my hands dirty. Maybe its because I learned on AMF HD or I just like tinkering, but as other's have said in this thread it is part of the MG experience. It must sound really stupid and lame to you, but as the old saying goes "if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand". You are not for this bike and this bike is not for you. I suggest you either reconcile yourself to the fact that you will have deal with things like this or choose a different brand of motorcycle, preferably not Italian or other niche manufacturer.

This is not the factory's fault.
They did not break the part, and I would guess that the issue in getting a replacement is centered closer to where you are than Italy.
Contact one of the large dealers in Europe and I would think they could get you the parts you need if you don't want to buy generic parts locally.
And again, it is not a special part. You should be able to find a suitable replacement at any auto parts or hardware store.
And the factory did not prep your bike, that is on your dealer. And the factory was not to blame for letting bolts loosen and/or fall off. That would be you and/or the dealer that dropped the ball there.
Maintaining the bike is not the factory's responsibility.
The T connector sounds like the airbox drain, and if it is there should not be oil there. Having oil there is not a fault with the bike but a result of over filling the engine oil. You could just remove the T and insert a plug in both lines (that run back to the airbox sides) and ride it like that. All the T connector you circled is is a common connection for the air box drains. It is to drain the oil out of the airbox when oil gets in there as there should not be oil in the airbox normally.

Hi dude, the Guzzi factory in Italy are seriously i competent, 6 weeks has passed and they havent even bloody shipped the parts - ive lost a lot of respect for the brand. The clips i can replace locally. Ut the T piece hasnt been found. Thats besides the point, when you spend over 10,000 on a bike in the year 2012 you expect it to work and not have these endless problems only to be backed up by absolutely crap responses from the factory. Xmas and new yeaars are over now they need to ease off the chianti and get back to work. Being based in the middle east means our local market for parts is shallow, plus the dealer carries most common parts, not the entire catalog. There are less than 20 Guzzis on the road in the entire country here. And yes ive read the posts.

Dude if it will make you happy I will go to my local home improvement center and buy a $0.79 1/4" barbed t-connector and ship it to your dealer free of charge. All I need is an address. Then you can quit bitching about Moto Guzzi and how $6 in parts that you can source locally is keeping you from riding for months. Your biggest bitch should be with the dealer who is not doing anything to help you. Although I would like to hear your dealers side of the story. Maybe this onion needs peeled down a layer or two to get to the root of all the discontent.

Again, PM me the dealers address and a contact there and the t-connector will be in the mail ASAP.

I understand you are upset.

Motorcycles are unlike automobiles in that production often is in very limited quantities. This is the case with most motorbikes. The parts that failed are a few cents, no manufacturer makes these type of parts, they simply source them as needed. So, Piaggio did not design and fabricate these small clamps or t-fitting, they use available suppliers.

Sometimes things break, for example... The Stelvio NTX is fitted by the factory with driving lights as standard equiptment. They seem well made and considering they are Hella units they should be high end products. Moto Guzzi choose these lamps most likely because they came from a trusted supplier, Hella. Unfortunately these lamps develope a short inside the housing. This failure causes the wires to rub the housing until they arc and short out which in turn left unnoticed will drain the battery and leave you stranded. So while Guzzi delivers the bike with what was considered a very good lamp they have to deal with failures.

The parts you have described are easy to source and you dealer doesn't care enough about you as a customer to insure your bike is returned to you in a working condition. You first problem is you have a bad dealer! This is an easy problem to resolve. Yes, you can go to Moto Guzzi and wait for a response to the problem but no dealer that has regard for his customer would put you through drama with Moto Guzzi unless they just didn't care about you!

It's not uncommon for a new motorcycle to develope a few faults, every manufacturer has these sort of problems. You have choosen a manufacturer that sold only 20 bikes in your entire country. Does that tell you anything??? You my friend have an exotic bike in a land far away from it's factory location. And yet... you complain that the manufacturer hasn't stopped building bikes so they can focus on sending out a fraction of a dollar part that your dealer could find anywhere??? Yes, if it was a piston and your bike was in pieces you might have a problem but your bike isn't in bits is it?

Stop crying and call your lazy dealer and get your bike repaired. This is minor. Can't get the correct part shipped quickly from the factory? Then call around and order the parts yourself, put them into your dealer's hand, slap him on the back and tell him to get it done.

Vivo

Vivo,

Before we jump to conclusions and think he has a bad dealer, maybe he is a bad customer? That why I would like to hear the dealer side before we get the torches fired up and the mob gathered.

Hell I think we are all at fault for buying into this thread as it really does stink of Troll.

Easy guys... the guy showed up to commiserate. In all fairness, we don't know both sides of the story, however that being said, he has had the bike at the dealer since stated, and the bike isn't done. He's rightfully a bit upset. I'd chalk this up mostly to a poor dealer (who isn't very resourceful), but being a third world country must have draw backs.
I do hope you get it fixed and back on the road soon.

Sorry Todd, while Kuwait may not be a country I care for as they have some serious social issues, Kuwait is hardly a third world country. They have hardware stores and auto parts stores. They even have a Formula 1 race.
Buy the damn parts and ride.

GuzziMoto said:
Sorry Todd, while Kuwait may not be a country I care for as they have some serious social issues, Kuwait is hardly a third world country. They have hardware stores and auto parts stores. They even have a Formula 1 race.
Buy the damn parts and ride.

I think you mean Bahrain or Abu Dhabi, might want to brush up on your geography.

Perazzimx14 said:
Vivo,

Before we jump to conclusions and think he has a bad dealer, maybe he is a bad customer? That why I would like to hear the dealer side before we get the torches fired up and the mob gathered.

Hell I think we are all at fault for buying into this thread as it really does stink of Troll.

Here is the broken T union piece. Yes, it really does stink.

Attachments

• IMG-20121220-WA001.jpg
    IMG-20121220-WA001.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 361
  • Tpiecebroken.png
    Tpiecebroken.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 361
OK, my bad. You don' have a Formula 1 race. But you are not a third world country, are you?
It is just a T fitting. It is not the T fitting shown earlier by you, that one was for the airbox drain. This one is the fuel supply for the injectors. But it is still a T fitting that you should be able to buy locally. If you want one with a Guzzi part number, contact TLM or any of the major Guzzi dealers around the world and they can get it for you. Your local dealer does not even seem up to tightening bolts so you may want to look elsewhere.
The problems you have are unfortunate, but they are not directly the factory's fault.

Moto, you're pushing shit uphill with this one. Let it lie. If it was in my shop I'd of had him fixed and happy in an afternoon and most of that would of been driving in to Canberra to get a brass T-piece. For some reason this display of hopeless flapping feebleness is being given bandwidth. It shouldn't be.

GuzziMoto said:
OK, my bad. You don' have a Formula 1 race. But you are not a third world country, are you?
It is just a T fitting. It is not the T fitting shown earlier by you, that one was for the airbox drain. This one is the fuel supply for the injectors. But it is still a T fitting that you should be able to buy locally. If you want one with a Guzzi part number, contact TLM or any of the major Guzzi dealers around the world and they can get it for you. Your local dealer does not even seem up to tightening bolts so you may want to look elsewhere.
The problems you have are unfortunate, but they are not directly the factory's fault.

The T fitting shown here is a separate, additional problem to the leak on the Y fitting that I had posted about earlier.

Lots of leaky bits on a Guzzi... well designed no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back