• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Thank God for a plastic front fender

Brevadom

Tuned and Synch'ed
I just turned back from a prolonged trip on my Breva1100.
Here is the story I want to tell you to consider a simple measurement to maybe prevent something similar happening to you.
I am riding happily along this fairly new surfaced -straight piece of road (the shoulders being lined with flat pebbles) with about 100km/h on the speedo, enjoying the views of the surroundings. Suddenly, I feel a short bump in the handle bars and hear a cracking sound. From the corner of my eye I see something spinning away, it appears to be rather large and roundish. My first thought is, that I hit one of these flat pebbles lying on the tarmac, which then has been picked up by my front tyre and hit the bike somewhere.

Village coming right up - I stop at a safe place to have a look.
I discover my front fender being shredded to bits. At this point all my focus is on the fender, as the rest of the bike seems to be unharmed. I completely missed the missing horn. I decided to take off the plastic as it is now unfit for purpose and dangerous in that position. I strapped it to my luggage, rode back a few hundred meters to see whether I see anything lying around, but only pebbles as I expected.

So I thanked my guardian angel to have watched out for me, considered myself to be ever so lucky to get out of this situation by the price of a new fender... It is only later when I want to make use of my horn, that I discover it is not there. All over sudden the murky picture of what really happened back then, becomes cristal clear. The horn's bracket broke, now the horn dangles on the cable which is quite longish, as a matter of fact so long that the horn reaches the south end of the fender , where it gets caught by the tyre and gets pulled in between the tyre and the fender, something has to give ... picture this... how lucky can you be.
Still on my trip I bought a new horn and shortened the cable with a cable tie - in case the bracket brakes again or one nut gets undone - the horn can't get pulled in. I didn't want to cut the cable just yet. Whether this stays the permanent fix I have not decided yet. I am also playing with the thought of a different horn and a new position altogether.

IMG 20180918 174056

IMG 20180918 174018

The remains of the bracket.

IMG 20181011 090129

I just turned back from a prolonged trip on my Breva1100.
Here is the story I want to tell you to consider a simple measurement to maybe prevent something similar happening to you.
I am riding happily along this fairly new surfaced -straight piece of road (the shoulders being lined with flat pebbles) with about 100km/h on the speedo, enjoying the views of the surroundings. Suddenly, I feel a short bump in the handle bars and hear a cracking sound. From the corner of my eye I see something spinning away, it appears to be rather large and roundish. My first thought is, that I hit one of these flat pebbles lying on the tarmac, which then has been picked up by my front tyre and hit the bike somewhere.

Village coming right up - I stop at a safe place to have a look.
I discover my front fender being shredded to bits. At this point all my focus is on the fender, as the rest of the bike seems to be unharmed. I completely missed the missing horn. I decided to take off the plastic as it is now unfit for purpose and dangerous in that position. I strapped it to my luggage, rode back a few hundred meters to see whether I see anything lying around, but only pebbles as I expected.

So I thanked my guardian angel to have watched out for me, considered myself to be ever so lucky to get out of this situation by the price of a new fender... It is only later when I want to make use of my horn, that I discover it is not there. All over sudden the murky picture of what really happened back then, becomes cristal clear. The horn's bracket broke, now the horn dangles on the cable which is quite longish, as a matter of fact so long that the horn reaches the south end of the fender , where it gets caught by the tyre and gets pulled in between the tyre and the fender, something has to give ... picture this... how lucky can you be.
Still on my trip I bought a new horn and shortened the cable with a cable tie - in case the bracket brakes again or one nut gets undone - the horn can't get pulled in. I didn't want to cut the cable just yet. Whether this stays the permanent fix I have not decided yet. I am also playing with the thought of a different horn and a new position altogether.

View attachment 15779

View attachment 15781

The remains of the bracket.

View attachment 15780
I'm glad you're OK too. Thanks for posting this (hard learnt) lesson.

Thank you Trout and Mick, it's just one of the things you are not imagining to be possible at all.

Thank you Trout and Mick, it's just one of the things you are not imagining to be possible at all.
Indeed, but not the first time I've seen something like this on many different brands. Is that a stock bracket? If your horn was replaced from stock, I always recommend using the factory bracket, which on the newer models, is comprised of several pieces of stacked metal, not one strip like this one looks like it is. Vibration on any motor can cause major havoc. Glad it turned out well in the end.

Does this only happen to the faster Black B1100 like ours? ;);)

Joking aside a timely warning - I shall take a look at mine tonight

Thanks

No problem with mine, but that is one thin bit of steel :eek:

I think I have apiece of stainless lying about that can be pressed into service to replace that

Thanks again

Back