• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Mod, Mob, & More to the Rescue: Reviving a '98 EV

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
Howdy from the Moto Grappa at the top of Virginia.

My ’98 EV has been hors de combat with unspecified “don’t run right” issues for almost a year. The right cylinder ran when it felt like and it didn’t feel like it much. The left ran, but was hardly perfect. This, despite a recent VA, TB balance, R&R of spark plugs, fresh fuel, and fiddling with plug cables to the coil.

As it’s a favorite of Kathi’s for two-up riding, we haven’t done much of that while the EV’s been on the lift and after I sold my Norge last summer.

Kathi’s a talented pillion who enjoys spirited riding — too bad I’m so old and unskilled — and I enjoy her company on rides.

So, I finally Tom Sawyered two great Guzzi wrenches into coming down and setting things right this past week.

The Capo Meccanico was Scott Mastrocinque, whom everyone here knows. :clap:

His able assistant, Bob Wegman, a longtime Guzzista, drove down from Rochester, N.Y. Bob was an early Guzzi dealer under the Berliners, so, as the saying goes, this wasn't his first Italian rodeo. :giggle:

I had (most) everything ready for the two surgeons, as my job was primarily to have tools and beer ready when the skilled labor grunted meaningfully.

Ahead of the adventure, Scott had me have waiting new injectors, along with new plugs, and air and fuel filters.

The injectors were pricier at $360 than I had expected, but after 107K miles, fuel erosion of the OEM innards — that’s a tech term; RTFM! — had done its erosive thing, so needed.

Aside from learning lots by watching and listening, I had a great time, and think the pros did, too.

Some pix are in the link, below, but for those who are impatient for the bottom line, the EV now runs GREAT.

In fact, as some of the last pix in that slideshow convey, Kathi and I took advantage of the 60ºF temps on Saturday after our guests left, to do a 200-mile loop that included the top third of Skyline Drive. Then, although I detest the slab, I dislike riding in the dark more, so we jumped on I-81 to race sunset. Two-up, we ran at 80 mph — GPS, not Veglia — for about 45 miles. The EV was rock solid and had more to give when I occasionally put spurs to it to get around a tractor-trailer convoy.

The cause of the problem that led to the fix?

Well, even tho we R&R’d injectors, air and fuel filters, and plugs, Scott speculated correctly that there was “old hose” debris in a fuel line south of the filter and north of the injectors. Bob also found that the right-side plug cable needed "more wire, less cable." When we cleaned out that fuel line and exposed more wire ... VAROOM!

So, here are the culled pix (but, yes, still lots) in a slideshow with captions. In my defense, I started with about 150 and cut out more than 100!

The link opens in “landscape collage” format, so you can see all at a glance without slogging through one by one unless you want to do that.

Hover your curser over any pic to see the caption.

[For maddening reasons I do not completely understand, the captions “disappear” if one enlarges the pix and goes through them. On “pure” slideshow, i.e., automatic switching to next slide, the captions continue to appear, but the pace is quick. Keeping the cursor in the “caption area” seems to help if going through manually. As I said, maddening. If anyone knows the code to make it more seamless, please tell me.]

The pix? Go here:

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Scott-Bob-Revive-the-EV-Nov-23/n-ngSPNK/

Bill

Moral of the story: Change out old fuel lines even if not cracked for better stuff. Over 20ys is long enough.
One reason they put screens in a fuel system. Even the new injectors brings it back in order.
Older EV's are hard to beat. My 98 has been great. Some of us don't need all the newer gadgets to ride.
Nice find Scott.

Howdy from the Moto Grappa at the top of Virginia. My ’98 EV has been hors de combat with unspecified “don’t run right” issues for almost a year.
The Capo Meccanico was Scott Mastrocinque, whom everyone here knows. :clap: His able assistant, Bob Wegman, a longtime Guzzista, drove down from Rochester, N.Y. Bob was an early Guzzi dealer under the Berliners, so, as the saying goes, this wasn't his first Italian rodeo. :giggle:
The injectors were pricier at $360 than I had expected
Fun. Thanks for posting here as always Bill.

Injectors for next time...

Fun. Thanks for posting here as always Bill.

Injectors for next time...

Well, rats and apologies, Todd.

I think about your store for nearly all things Guzzi, but, for some reason did not even think you offered injectors. So, shame on me!

Bill

So your 2 Guzzi aficionados... how can i get them down to Houston area to simply get my Mille GT to run??! No major issues beyond sitting a few years. Unlimited beer/Scotch, etc, OF YOUR CHOICE! Would be a great roadtrip from the NE to God's Country (Taik-sus).
Too many car projects going on that demand my time.

Get it to Louisville, and I could be easily tempted.

Texas….um….no. 🤣

My father and all his family are from that “State of Mind” since before it was a state!

For me, a California Boy, born and bred, happiness was Texas in my rear view mirror! 🥳

YMMV 😆

Hah, well that's one less Cali guy we have to worry about coddling in our great state. :)
I do like CA, but, like Texas, there are many factors that are bothersome. Prob the most notable is cost of living in CA, right?

Back