Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

The Norton Returns!

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by Goodvibes, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Goodvibes

Goodvibes Cruisin' Guzzisti

2. Steve S

Steve S Tuned and Synch'ed

Lovely, my mate had a deposit on one a couple of years ago but it never arrived, he got his money back, there are a few used ones for sale here in the UK but at a premium price, £18000, to avoid the waiting list.

Adam Davis likes this.
  3. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Looks pretty sweet. Had to go to the Norton website to check out. Ohlins suspenders, 80HP, nice design details but alas I'm just not into parallel twins. And the price tag I believe is over 20K US dollars which automatically puts it out of reach even if I thought about it.

4. vivo

vivo Cruisin' Guzzisti

I love that bike, I hope it makes it here. I just never liked that front fender mount, when a I saw the early bikes I figured it was temporary but it's still on the bike. Still, I want one!

vivo

5. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Matt Capri has had one sitting in his showroom for a couple of years. Not for sale obviously, but certainly a bit of eye candy. I don't know if its still there or not. It didn't have a cam in it. The Norton people would fly in, install the cam, then do some compliance testing with the feds. Then they'd yank the cam and leave. It's probably just as well they took the cam with them. Matt would've had that thing up at Bonneville in the blink of an eye.

6. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I got some decent seat time on it when it was built in OR by Kenny Dreer. Fun gobs of power, well built, and handled like you thought it should. CW Mag did a few reviews, and (former Editor) David Edwards still has one. It's been interesting to see the journey. We shall see if it gains a footing here. It's kind of getting dated already, but old meets new is always tough.

7. Will

Will Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Friend of mine here in the UK has one. He's a Norton addict and 'noted expert'.....and has been for decades. He says although it looks very much the same as the Kenny Dreer ones it has a different engine - I don't know exactly how different but I think the changes were to make it feasible to manufacture in volume rather than the handful KD made and to get it thru' the legal hoops to get it in the showrooms & on the road worldwide.

At much the same time as took delivery of it he had his old Commando rebuilt by Norvil with all their trick upgrades. He prefers the old bike and with all those upgrades he says it's performance pretty much matches the new one on the road - but I guess on a track the new one might well be better. He says the new one is not versatile enough for his riding (it's too focused as a cafe racer) and that the fuel tank range is way too small. His wife rides the new one more often than him - She loves it for short fast blasts! He is sufficiently influential and friendly with Norton that a while ago they promised him a larger capacity tank but I haven't heard if that has materialized or if it would be a one off or available as an option on all the new bikes.

As an aside, the Nortons he rides most are his two Rotary / Wankel engined ones: a fully faired one for touring in all weathers and for better weather a special bespoke 'naked' one he had built that cherry picked the best components and upgrades from all the Rotary models

8. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

To each their own, but I hope those bikes, especially the sport, do not come to the USA any time soon.
    Because I do not have the money or space for another bike and I am pretty sure if/when it comes here we will buy one.

9. leafman60

leafman60 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I am very much attracted to any Norton. I had an old one for a very brief time and it greatly impressed me.

Ive signed up for info on this new version and Ive called a couple of dealers to ask about when and if we will ever see the bikes. All I get from them is the Sergeant Schultz line, " We know nothing ! Nothing ! Nooo-thing !"

10. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I missed this thread first time around, but what you said.

Bill

11. wittangamo

wittangamo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Bought a new Commando 750 Roadster in '71 on credit before I got my first paycheck out of college. Rode it for 15 years and loved every second, even though kick-starting it nearly ruined my right knee and I had to pound the exhaust header back on with a rock and screwdriver about every hundred miles.

Seeing this one starts the lust all over again.

[​IMG]

But then, there's only room in my garage for one bike, and the Griso is a dangerously jealous Italian mistress.