• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Stelvio -- A Decent Replacement for my Wee-Strom?

ChuckH

Tuned and Synch'ed
I tryed to post this before but nothing happened so I must have made a mistake. However, again --

I'm 78 years of age, a shrinking 5'11" and in reasonable health. The majority of my riding is long distance touring, camping trips and cycle rallies -- 12-15K miles/year -- most of it in the Mid-Western States. My current ride is an '09 Wee-Strom ABS that I load like a pack-mule for my trips.

Sometime in my life (ie, my "riding life") I want to own and ride a Guzzi.

My questions: Is the next generation Stelvio -- the one with the larger fuel tank, cast rims, ABS, improved fuel mapping and all those other extras -- a suitable replacement for my Wee? {BTW, you don't have to go into the difference is engine size/power. The 650cc Wee has been more than adequate to meet my riding needs.} I'm most interested in the reliability/durability of the Stelvio -- is it going to leave me stranded by the side of the road somewhere?

Thanks for your considered opinions.

Campagman said:
It will be a lot heavier ...

Certainly a consideration. My Wee is about 500# Wet (5.88 G of fuel), the Guzzi website says the Stelvio ABS is 550# Kerb Weight (I don't know what that means but would assume it's full of fuel and ready to ride). Add about 12# or so due to the larger fuel tank in the next generation and the differential is at least 65#.

Generally, I find that the additional weight is not an issue when on the road. It becomes a factor in slow speed operation, moving the bike around the garage, etc. I will look forward to seeing on in a show room floor,

Chuck,

I replaced an '02 Vstrom with an ,09 Stelvio. In MY opinion, the Stelvio is better in every way except fuel capacity. In my normal day to day life it's not an issue, but can be a concern when traveling. I've never been so comfortable on any street bike, though I still lust for the Griso. Some day...

You might also consider a Norge. Yes its not the dual sports bike the Stelvio is, but I'm betting that the majority of your riding is on pavement and not the back country. The Norge, although you need to be careful is fully capable of riding logging roads.... :D

Mine has been rock solid reliable. A pretty steady 180-200 miles per tank (2009 small tank). I got rid of a fair amount of weight, just by losing the stock muffler. The thing had to weight 15-20 lbs. I don't find slow speed maneuvering to be very difficult.

Take one for a ride if you get a chance. The motor is nothing short of addictive!

afulldeck said:
You might also consider a Norge. Yes its not the dual sports bike the Stelvio is, but I'm betting that the majority of your riding is on pavement and not the back country. The Norge, although you need to be careful is fully capable of riding logging roads.... :D

Yes, I've thought about the Norge -- even demo tested one a few years back. I've also demo tested the 1100 Breva (twice) but the lack of ABS in the US killed that deal. Regarding the Norge, I've had a Sport Touring bike -- Kawa Concours C-14. Rode it for two years, 29K miles. The more leaned over riding position of the ST Bikes is hard on my forearms, wrists and hands.

You're correct, I don't do much off-road riding. I like the AdvTouring bikes for their more upright riding position and the ability to load them like a pack-mule. For my long distance touring and camping trips, they seem to really fit the bill.

StelvioGT said:
Stelvio is well over 600 lbs. keep that in mind.

Have you actually weighed your bike to come up with the 600+ figure? If so, how was it set up at the time?

I'm just going on the 550# Kerb Weight figure that is published by MG for my information. Thanks.

Double check the tank size, although it's 32 litre I'm told you can only use 26 ltr ?? I just got back from Mandello and the 90yr celebrations. I did do 800+ miles in one day but fuel stops each 120 miles was a bit of a pain, this was a bit premature I found as consumption was higher but garages on French motorways are far apart.

actually when I picked up my 2011 v8 it had the dealer fill with 6 liters. first tankstop was 2 km down the road and I was able to put another 24. something liters on top. So this sums up somewhere around 30isch liters.

Best regards

Joachim

your no doubt right, but Stucchi said you can put it in you just wont get the 6 litres out, they tried to make a longer snorkel to get lower in the tank but without success.

hood said:
your no doubt right, but Stucchi said you can put it in you just wont get the 6 litres out, they tried to make a longer snorkel to get lower in the tank but without success.

I am overwhelmed by the technical ability of the manufacturer. Don´t they check this stuff out before they sell the bikes?

Georgios

One striking difference between the W or V for that matter and the Stelvio is the clutch. Stelvio has a single dry clutch plate. W or V has 7 plates and is easier to change. Not sure how many miles you can expect from the Stelvio since its still quite new.

Back