• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Thermal dispersant asthetics?

Spaceclam said:
people could have said the same thing about water cooling. If it works, it works.
Sorry, not trying to say it won't work. Just that WHEN it fails I don't want it to be my bike that is stuck on the side of the road because the "AC" for the heads went out. There is too much complexity on my Guzzi's already. I don't need Italian air conditioning as well.
To use liquid cooling is one thing. To use phase change technology is a more complex can of worms with more possibility of failure. I don't even know that is what those heat exchangers are. I have yet to see any evidence that they are anything other then a styling exercise by idiot boy.

Spaceclam said:
I do notice it pings more when my tank is full. If i ever get my battery welder together, i'll have a 2.5 lb lithium battery replacing my 14 lb AGM (equivelant to about half a tank's worth of weight) so we'll see how i end up.
-Clam
Most Guzzisti I know would do better by going on a diet. ;)
But do you seriously think that a weight saving of 11 lbs on a heavy bike plus rider will really make that much difference? You are only talking of less than 2% saving.

Yeah, what he said......Loose some weight you fat.... wait, that's me.
Seriously, while you may have an issue there I seriously doubt that it is the difference in weight from full tank to mostly empty tank that is causing it. It is an interesting observation worth looking into, but sometimes things are deeper and more complicated then they seem.

i am a light rider (160 lbs) and the difference between a full tank and an empty tank are indeed noticeable. also, the bike sits noticeably higher. (which is good, cause i think the front forks are just a wee bit undersprung)

IM not saying the battery will solve my pinging issue, but at this point, i dont think there is any one single thing i can do anymore to produce a great improvement, that DOESNT leech huge amounts of power. I am well into the land of dimishing returns, heat wise.

Old thread, but here are some actual answers to thermal barrier coating questions:

1. Definitely coat the intake and exhaust valves where they are exposed to combustion chamber, this will likely stop your heat related pinging. Money well spent here, I don't know why OEM's don't do this. A Guzzi should come like this from the factory.
2. Coating the piston crown will improve piston longevity a relatively high performance application like a Guzzi, but whether it improves power depends on duration of power. It seems to improve power in drag racing applications, but results are very mixed in longer duration events.
3. Coating the exhaust port will work for improved longevity and power in an air cooled engine or a turbocharged engine. Difference isn't very much, about 7-8 degrees cooler head in a VW. Porsche has used it in some race cars.
4. Coating the cylinder head is done on a case by case basis. You may see a power improvement, you may run cooler. Coating the combustion chamber appears to even out the hottest spots. It is a problem on some engines and not on others. Some research being done on this by OEM's that show benefits.

In the end it is cheaper to for car manufacturers to build better/larger cooling systems than to use thermal coatings. When you are trying to improve a product that the manufacturer considers "good enough" there can be gains with these coatings. I would not hesitate to coat the valves of any engine I rebuilt, or the exhaust port of any air cooled engine I rebuilt.

I'm getting a little tired with my pinging 1100 :evil:

It comes and goes with no reason.
I can't see that it's fuel related, I've used different fuels from different outlets.
It's not temperature related. It's pinged in temp ranges from -2c to 35c.
It's not weight related. I recently did a week of riding in Tasmania fully loaded in temps from 15c to 30c and it never pinged once.
Had the TPS and the throttle balanced, they were both out, made no difference.
It'll ping in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear.

Andrew, I hope whatever you do works cause I really have to doubt that mine is a heat related problem.

Back