• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Thinking of buying

bradjs

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi, new to the forum and all things Guzzi. I've always love the look and feel of the 1200 Sport (test rides) and now I may finally bite the bullet. I've located a new (leftover) '08 at a dealer. They want 10 grand for it which I feel is a little high. They say it has been started regularly and maintained, and they will provide a new battery w/the bike. In our emails they seem knowledgeable and friendly, but I'm certainly going to check it out in person asap. They are about 3 hrs. from me so it's a bit of a haul.
There is a former Guzzi dealer near me who says they still will work on them as long as it doesn't involve computer diagnostics, as they no longer have the proper tools.
Anyway, I guess I'd just like to hear from current owners about the pricing, parts availability, etc. I've read some conflicting views on reliability, but in general i get the impression these are solid, well built machines. Anyone?

If you get the bike, buy VDSTS from Todd when he is recovered. You can't even do a throttle body sync without it. If you don't want to do that task, provide it to the former dealer (It will require a laptop PC to run) so that they will have the proper tool to do the job.

You can also check in with Dave at Moto International. He treated me great and took care of shipping.

Don't have enough miles to comment on reliability, but I can say its a great all around bike.

Goof luck with your shopping. Go for it.

You won't find a better bike for $8,500. I also highly recommend Todd's fueling set up or at least have your ECU flashed.

Hopefully, he will be back with us soon.

VDSTS is the computer diagnosis tool. It will read the error codes, allow you to set throttle position sensor, etc.

Paid $8999 for mine in April, 2011. Saw others around the country in the same price range. You should be able to do better than 10G's.

My suggestion is to buy a Moto Guzzi! I was in your shoes a month ago. My Moto Guzzi introduction story is linked here...

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/163/7694.html

Now that I've discovered them, all the models seem very cool. I'd take any one of them, but my Griso is king right now! Buy one and you'll know what I mean.

-Jon D.

$10k sounds a bit too high. For that amount, I was able to purchase a leftover 2008 1200 Sport in April 2010, pay the sales tax (Ohio) add HB racks and 30L Juniors, unused center stand from forum member, and an Aprilia Mana handlebar from the UK (for some odd reason, less $$ than US Aprilia dealers wanted for the same part).

Bob

I emailed the dealer for their bottom line price. They came down to 9700.00 which includes freight and set up, which is about 500 bucks. So, I think we're in the ballpark. I'm going to try to get there next week ( about 160 miles away) and check it out in person. I did check with Moto International and they were very helpful. Their initial price was a lot lower, but after set up, freight, taxes and shipping (I really didn't want to ride a brand new bike all the way across the country), the prices are comparable. Plus, I'd like to buy closer to home just in case something goes wrong.
I think once I see the bike, I'll be in trouble. It's happened to me before.

bradjs said:
I emailed the dealer for their bottom line price. They came down to 9700.00 which includes freight and set up, which is about 500 bucks. So, I think we're in the ballpark. I'm going to try to get there next week ( about 160 miles away) and check it out in person. I did check with Moto International and they were very helpful. Their initial price was a lot lower, but after set up, freight, taxes and shipping (I really didn't want to ride a brand new bike all the way across the country), the prices are comparable. Plus, I'd like to buy closer to home just in case something goes wrong.
I think once I see the bike, I'll be in trouble. It's happened to me before.

You will be in trouble, just bring your checkbook with you. Maybe a trailer too if the weather isn't good to ride.

So you can compare apples to apples, Riders Hill in Dahlonega, GA (who has two of these for $8495) only charges $100 beyond their advertised price. So all you pay is $8595 plus your NY sales tax, registration, tag, etc. Still quite a difference between what the other dealer is quoting you. If he was a lot closer to you and was going to continue to service the bike after you purchased it, I can see the wisdom of paying him more than another dealer for the initial purchase price but that isn't the case here. I think that there's more meat on the bone at the price he quoted you. At any rate, good luck on the new purchase and I'm sure that you will enjoy owning a Moto Guzzi. They have a lot of character and are not your run of the mill motorcycle.

I'd say take a trip to Rider's Hill, per post above. The Guzzi manual says the best break-in for the drive train is a curvy road with some elevation changes. Dahlonega is just a few miles south of Deal's Gap/Tail of the Dragon. It'd be a great place to break it in.

Thanks for all the comments. Riding a brand new bike 2-3 thousand miles sounds great, but I'm too skeptical about something going wrong that far from home. Besides, by the time I pay for the trip down and back, I'd have spent as much or more than buying the bike up this way. I'm going to a dealer about 150 miles from me this week or next to check out a new '08. We'll see how it goes!

Well, I did it. Went to Loki Motorsports in Larchmont, N.Y. (about 160 miles from me) on Tues. and put a deposit on a leftover '08 1200 Sport. The dealer was very knowledgeable and willing to do better on the price than they quoted me in emails. I'll ride'r home in late March, weather permitting. Can't wait. He's also installing a new battery, and changing the handlebars to a set from a Mana. I'm sure it will be more comfortable that way, I'm only 5'9".
The ride down is actually pretty nice if I take the Taconic Pkwy, lotta deer though. The dealer sells Guzzi, Aprillia and Vespa. I was expecting a broken down building behind a liquor store kind of place but was surprised to find a large, modern, clean shop. They also service just about any brand, and do a lot of fabrication/restoration work-very cool. I could tell the dealer was an enthusiast, always a good sign. They were in the process of moving across the street to an even larger building, also a good (and these days, unusual) sign.
I'm also getting a price on a set of Norge hard bags. Never had a bike with hard bags before, but those look nice and hold a lot. Haven't bought a "new" bike in over 6 years. My last was an '03 Triumph Thunderbird Sport, which I probably will never sell. So, if the Guzzi is as much fun as I think it will be, I'm gonna have a great summer. BTW, I just retired at the ripe old age of 55. I'm a lucky guy.

Back