• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

This was in my oil pan!

Just left a small reliable dealer and explained everything, showed them al of your responses. They agreed 100% that the spring is from the timing chain tensioner. They told me to go back to the MG dealer and speak with the manager.
Explained to the service manager again what everyone else is saying and he replied "oh, ok, I'll send another pic of to the rep"
Jesus Christ.
Thank you all for your input. Sorry, only been riding motorcycles for 3 years. Not a mechanic. Slowly learning etc. Appreciate your time.
if you need to know anything about drums, I got you! :)

Last edited:
You have absolutely no idea how this pains me. I really have to question the direction Moto Guzzi North America is taking.

The most egregious part is that first, Sean Needham indirectly insinuated that you were lying about finding the spring in your oil pan, but to then state unequivocably that the part “is not apart (sic) of this engine”, was dismissive and only shows me how incompetent this gentleman is. In my opinion, he is unqualified for the position he currently holds.

I hope you get satisfaction from your efforts. You shouldn’t have to endure this at all.

You have absolutely no idea how this pains me. I really have to question the direction Moto Guzzi North America is taking.

The most egregious part is that first, Sean Needham indirectly insinuated that you were lying about finding the spring in your oil pan, but to then state unequivocably that the part “is not apart (sic) of this engine”, was dismissive and only shows me how incompetent this gentleman is. In my opinion, he is unqualified for the position he currently holds.

I hope you get satisfaction from your efforts. You shouldn’t have to endure this at all.
Thank you. I appreciate your time and advice!

Maybe it is a god sent that the drain bolt stripped out. I am an old guy, not a mechanic but have worked on MC's since I was 14. It doesn't take much to say hey look what I found in my oil pan where in my motor did this come from. I struggle with dealers that give a response like you got. First thing out of his mouth should have been don't start it and bring it in ASAP. It took me all of 5 minutes after seeing the picture of the cam chain tensioner in this thread and some quick internet searches to say yep the spring is from the cam chain tensioner.

Personally I would write a very polite and sharply pointed email to Moto Guzzi and a CC to the owner of the dealership. Make sure you include the detailed interaction at the dealership and include pictures of the spring and how you found it. If you stripped the drain plug include that but take ownership of that piece. It is unfortunate that this happened to you, hope things get worked out.

Good idea to check our bike over if it has visited a dealership for work or service. My V7 went to the dealer for it's 900 mile service. Three thousand miles later I changed oil and adjusted the valves after changing a leaking fork seal. When I started to remove the oil drain plug I almost had a heart attack. It turned freely, finger tight. At first I thought it was stripped but no, finger tight. I shutter to think what might have happened if it had come out completely while underway especially in a turn. It is amazing that it stayed in all.
kk

Maybe it is a god sent that the drain bolt stripped out. I am an old guy, not a mechanic but have worked on MC's since I was 14. It doesn't take much to say hey look what I found in my oil pan where in my motor did this come from. I struggle with dealers that give a response like you got. First thing out of his mouth should have been don't start it and bring it in ASAP. It took me all of 5 minutes after seeing the picture of the cam chain tensioner in this thread and some quick internet searches to say yep the spring is from the cam chain tensioner.

Personally I would write a very polite and sharply pointed email to Moto Guzzi and a CC to the owner of the dealership. Make sure you include the detailed interaction at the dealership and include pictures of the spring and how you found it. If you stripped the drain plug include that but take ownership of that piece. It is unfortunate that this happened to you, hope things get worked out.

Good idea to check our bike over if it has visited a dealership for work or service. My V7 went to the dealer for it's 900 mile service. Three thousand miles later I changed oil and adjusted the valves after changing a leaking fork seal. When I started to remove the oil drain plug I almost had a heart attack. It turned freely, finger tight. At first I thought it was stripped but no, finger tight. I shutter to think what might have happened if it had come out completely while underway especially in a turn. It is amazing that it stayed in all.

Just want to THANK YOU ALL for your info. It was the tension spring. Dealer has replaced it. GTM, tried sending yo a message, couldn't.

Nobody can send a direct message to GTM.

Otherwise, he would be flooded with spam and crap every minute of everyday.

Glad your dealer got her fixed for you. 👍

Last edited:
Just want to THANK YOU ALL for your info. It was the tension spring. Dealer has replaced it. GTM, tried sending yo a message, couldn't.
Welcome, and I get ~50+ messages per day. Not sure how you tried. Email is always best via the CONTACT on the GTM website;

Back