• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

thrice, and then??

RJVB

GT Reference
So I went to pick up the Norge tonight, after about a month and a half of down time to get her repaired from the damages of my 2 crashes. Only the RHS switchgear was back ordered, but the damage to that is not such that I can't ride. Oh, and I also got the new side fairing, with the oil-checking hole — but not the bung to close it off.

New pannier has the custom(ary) bad fit when closed, but that's not an issue — anymore.

So, I was getting close to home, having taken the interior beltway (50km/h zone, with a reasonable number of traffic lights on this particular stretch). One of those turns yellow, I see I have no reason not to brake (a bit strong) given distance and the fact my mirrors are clear. Guess I shouldn't. Barely stopped, I hear screeching tyres, and then get the biked kicked out from under me, and go down myself. Not believing it. Still not believing it. Guy thought I was going to jump the yellow light. Guess I should have had...

Cut a long story short: guy swerved to avoid me, and hit the pannier. Pannier got torn off (AND made a dent in his engine cover ...), but took the attachment with it. So whatever you call the (big) part that holds the footrests, it's missing a bit. Bike went down at stand-still, so I'm also looking at replacing my (new) left mirror, and my (new) nose fairing (which cracked around the wingtip). Despite not having my left pannier, only very minor damage to the lower fairing (which was already damaged and repaired by me ... I might try to get a new one this time), and some to the (new) bar-end weight. Annoyingly, I have the habit of keeping the right pannier on all times, carrying my U lock in it, and a lot of other stuff. Won't be possible now...

This time, "Mr can't stop in time" 's insurance ought to pay, we made up the papers and he put down I was stopped at a red light. I'll still have some 300€ franchise, I fear ... and I'll have to hope the insurance expert will not take months to drop by :-/

Still not believing it.

And wondering

what's next, next time I take the bike for real?

and feeling like ...

... "please shoot me now"

PS: don't ride to Paris for holidays. Steer clear. Or take public transportation (which is torture too, but supportable I guess if it's just a once-in-a-lifetime trip).

Well, I didn't see anything that could have alerted me. The instructor I had beat the "check before you stop" routine into us, so it's become a habit ... but I'm perfectly aware that habits can become meaningless rituals.

I also was perfectly aware that I was doing something I maybe ought not be doing, while stopping.

I also think there must be studies showing it's dangerous being the 1st (as a biker) to stop at a red light, as you're so much less visible.

Damn, if I keep thinking of this, I might not even dare to get back on my bicycle!!

Yeah, as in, I get totalled and the bike doesn't get a scratch?

Oh wait, that's when I decided against taking the bike and going on foot instead :silly:

That's (again) bad news from Paris! :angry: (You're ok yourself?)

As we put it in Brabant: NONDEJU !!

As far as I know it Paris has got a good metro network.....;)

Wish you all the best on yet another repair. Meanwhile I've got a puzzle for you to kill the time. (I hope it works)

Nomdedju indeed!

Yeah, I'm OK myself. Physically speaking.

And yes, the metro network is quite good, it's just that being in there during rush hour sucks (and that's about 12h a day).
(not as much as in NY, though)

Ouch Rene`

That really sucks. It does lead me to a possible reason.

Black Griso... too tough to mess with

Red Breva... the faster color outruns trouble

Silver Norge... Damn that magnetic color! It just sucks in accidents

Time for a paint job:p

Seriously.... I hope your lifetime quota of accidents is now fulfilled. Ride safely my friend and don't let life's "little distractions" get in the way of living!

René -- :pinch:

Anytime you can walk away, is a good one/thing. Consider yourself lucky... could've been much worse by the sounds of it. Chalk up another one, and keep looking forward. Just think of how many stories you'll get to tell 10 years from now. Happy healing to your Norge (again).

Rene,
To expound on Todd's comment, anytime you can walk away from a crash with your spleen, you've lived to ride another day.... insurance will sort the bits...

I hate to ask it, but I assume you saw him in your *expensive* replacement mirrors....

Glad you are OK. How can one begin to explain such bad luck??????

Ed in NJ

Very sorry to hear of another pain in the ass ordeal. Your well and that is whats most important but....what a pain stuff can be just trying to get things sorted out. I'm not surprised with what you say about Paris driving. I was there in 1969 and it still is the most insane traffic I've seen and I'm from Los Angeles. That was 40 years ago. I remember seeing people swap paint and just keep driving. Someday you should tell people about parking:) Another adventure.

Ed: as I tried to explain, I didn't see anything alarming in my mirrors, until it was too late. The guy said he thought I'd jump the yellow light, I guess that means he could have stopped if he'd braked in time. Of course, it also goes to show that he himself probably counted on jumping the yellow light ...

Thx for all the words of support. I'm going to have to get back on the bike tonight, as my insurance told me to re-do the paper with the guy, given that he'd ticked that there were corporal damages (wasn't wearing his spectacles ... :S). I'd have preferred to let the whole thing settle down a bit in my mind, but then again ... at least we'll see if indeed something is to happen the next time I take a ride!

Back