• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Throttle balance puzzle.

dikman

Tuned and Synch'ed
Today I re-balanced the throttle bodies on my 1200 Breva, using the excellent how-to's posted here.

Closed air bleed screw, attached manometer, adjusted the fast speed screw to balance at 3000 rpm, then adjusted the idle by opening the air bleed screw. So far so good, but if I then take it to 3000 rpm again the balance is now out because of the extra air coming in on one cylinder via the open bleed screw!

It seems to me that it's back-to-front. Balance the idle first, then do the high speed which will balance allowing for the extra air via the open bleed screw.

Am I missing something here? Where am I wrong in my reasoning?

The amount air induced by the air bleed screw will have a negligible effect in cylinder temperature. It can take a few of the balance adjustments to get it spot on. A large fan blowing on the motor will help in keeping the temperature from getting too high during the adjusting procedure.

Sorry draidt, you've confused me. I don't see how the temperature is affecting the balance - the problem is airflow. I get the high speed balance right, but as soon as I open the idle bleed screw then that high speed balance is no longer correct because additional air is going into that cylinder via the bleed screw.

The idle bleed has to affect it, otherwise why say to close it before adjusting the balance? This doesn't make any sense to me.

dikman said:
Sorry draidt, you've confused me. I don't see how the temperature is affecting the balance - the problem is airflow. I get the high speed balance right, but as soon as I open the idle bleed screw then that high speed balance is no longer correct because additional air is going into that cylinder via the bleed screw.

The idle bleed has to affect it, otherwise why say to close it before adjusting the balance? This doesn't make any sense to me.

When you do the high speed, it won't settle in on the first try. Get it spot on, let it idle, bring it back up and it is off is normal. It take a few tries to get the high speed spot on in a repeatable fashion. The amount of air passed by the bleed screw for idle sync is minimal and has very little, if any impact on high speed sync.

john zibell said:
dikman said:

When you do the high speed, it won't settle in on the first try. Get it spot on, let it idle, bring it back up and it is off is normal. It take a few tries to get the high speed spot on in a repeatable fashion. The amount of air passed by the bleed screw for idle sync is minimal and has very little, if any impact on high speed sync.

That's what I trying to say :dry:

Belive what John is trying to say is to do the high speed sync a few times to make sure it is spot on, then let it idle. Don't adjust the bleed screw yet. Once you have the high speed sync repeatable then reset the TPS and open the air bleed to balance idle.

I run mine a little different. On my carb mate I can set the resolution. I will set the high sync at 0.5 cm hg. Make sure it is repeatable and then reset the TPS. I will then do the idle balance at 0.75 to 1 cm hg (which is actually the spec). When I was trying to balance both at 0.5 cm hg I too was chasing my tail. I had to have my bleed screw open a couple of turns which does make a difference on the high speed sync. When I decreased the resolution on the idle sync, my bleed screw is only open a 1/2 turn and everything stayed balanced on the high speed. Not sure if it is the right method, but works for my 2012 Stelvio.

Thanks guys, it looks like I was jumping the gun a bit and need to do several passes at it. I think my bleed screw is open more than 1/2 turn, which may account for part of the problem. (The oil-filled manometer is also, I suspect, very sensitive to adjustments).

My apologies, draight, the way I read your post I thought you were talking about the temp causing my problem.

Finally got around to re-doing the balance. And yes, it took several passes, every time I adjusted it I dropped it back to idle, then up to 3k again, bit more tweaking, down to idle, back up etc etc. I finally got it reasonably stable, and the idle screw is out 1/2 turn.

Even though it was a cold day, with the bike sitting in the open shed doorway and a fan blowing on it that motor gets damned hot!! I think I'd better save this sort of adjustment for the Winter months (not our 35C Summer days!).

Just a thought - for anyone else using an oil-filled (tube) manometer, what weight oil are you using?

Back