• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Throttle cable problems 2002 Nevada L.A.P.D

bluesman Guzzi

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi, can someone please help straighten this problem out.

I managed to send an electrical current through my choke cable (came into contact with positve battery terminal and melted the throttle cable outer and the splitter box. Doh, I`ve sorted that problem, but getting a replacement throttle cable is proving to be a real pain in the ass.

I ordered a splitter box and it comes apart at the opposite end to my old one, which means the throttle cable outer needs to be shortened by 1/2 inch to allow enough travel for the carbs to fully shut off.

Now I`ve received a new cable and the section from the twist grip to the splitter box is different. My old one has an adjuster that is fitted to the cable (ie. wont come off due to the cable nipple), whereas the one I`ve got has no adjuster on it.

I`ve spoken to Corsa Italia here in the uk and they dont know how the cable should be. There only seems to be one cable listed for the Nevada and it doesn`t seem right, can anybody solve this riddle for me. . . . . . . please.

Thanks, Martin

I hate the plastic splitters Guzzi used after the metal ones on the Eldorado as it is nearly impossible to get and maintain synchronization. I'd consider this an excellent opportunity to change the twist grip and use two individual cables to your carbs. I'd consider using a V50 or V65 dual pull, or pick up a Tomaselli 2C grip. You may need to have the cables custom made, but I think you would find 850T type cables pretty close if you use the Tomaselli and start from there.

Thanks mate, that`s something worth looking into for sure, but for now, as my beloved Guzzi is my only mode of transport I need to get something sorted pretty quickly. I agree the plastic splitter is a bit crap though I`ve never had any problem sync`ing the carbs, it melted due to the electrical current I managed to send down the choke cable, but then to have two different plastic ones that need slightly different length cables just seems ridiculous to me. I wish I was around Lake Como now as that man in the mountains, Meney, the Guzzi wizard, would have it sorted in a jiffy, I`m sure. He replaced my whole clutch in a day, at one days notice, during the middle of hay bailing on his small holding, when I was touring there a couple of years back, and he knows all the models inside out. I just dont know of anyone in the UK with anything like such knowledge unfortunately. When I ring the Guzzi suppliers the guys on the phone dont seem to know very much at all, sad really, but its the way it is.

The cable I need has an adjuster fitted on the cable, as did my choke cable, the one I`ve bought, correct to the catalogue according to the shop above, hasn`t got one. So is the correct cable available at all? It seems very strange that for a 2002 bike I cant get the correct parts over the counter, or to order, but seems pretty typical for guzzi`s. My model seems to cause some confusion too, on the V5 it clearly states the bike as a Nevada L.A.P.D, but as far as I can tell there`s no difference between mine and the Nevada Club. Does anyone know the story behind the Nevada L.A.P.D/Club differences?

I`ll probably remove the nipple and then slip the adjuster over the cable and re solder the nipple, and then see if the length is any where near right, such a pain in the ass tho, I`d just like to be able to order parts for my bike, and when I get them, that they fit my bike. Not to be though :(

Cheers, Martin

Martin,

I can sympathise with that. Went through similar gyrations for a speedometer cable for a MK IV LeMans. One part in the catalog, and completely different setup from the factory. Fortunately she isn't my only ride.

Perhaps a used cable from a breaker (that's the UK term, right?) would be a better fit.
I think Reboot Spares of France has a Nevada that they're selling parts off of. And they're run by an Englishman, so language isn't a problem.

Mmmm. . . . breakers/scrappers call em what you will, yeah not a bad idea if you know the part is a definite fit, but if different age of same bike may have different parts, certainly for the throttle cable in this circumstance.

Thanks for your replies, I`ve now managed to get a working throttle again, after spaeking to the shop where I ordered the cable on one day, and they tell me it could be a few days, and then the next day the correct throttle cable comes through my door by mail. I really dont think they know what they`re doing there, but its now sorted.

Martin

Glad you are up and running. If the correct cable had a part number on the package, I'd be sure to record it somewhere for future reference.

Back