• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

thump!

zebee

Tuned and Synch'ed
So there I was, sitting in a queue at the lights, fair bit of room between me and the car in front for which I am grateful because...

the bod in the 4WD behind me hit the wrong pedal and banged into the back of the Norge!

Because of the room in front I didn't hit anything as I was scooted forward, and because of my grace and innate balance (my story, you weren't there!) I didn't fall off or over.

I got off and looked, expecting expensive breakage.

The rear mudguard was folded right under the seat, looked rather nasty. But it popped right back out, the only damage being my rego holder. I was impressed!

The Breva topbox had taken most of the force I think, it had left a nice crack and crater in his plastic radiator grill. It was on the road, I picked it up and looks like he'd hit the button you use to open it, and everything was jammed solid.

Anyone know how the mechanism works on givi boxes? I can't turn the key at all, the opening button is pushed hard in and seems jammed and the button you push to get the thing off the rack is also jammed.

He'll pay for a new one, I don't want to have to open this with a dremel if I can avoid it....

Zebee

Hi zebee,
I have a Givi V46, the key has to be in the horizontal position before you can lock and open the case, I have just pushed the catch in with the lid up to see what happens. The catch didnt come open without the upward pressure of the lid, to release the catch i had to get my fingernails under the catch (just above the red "open Button") and prise it towards me, where it came away with a "click". Hope that makes sense.
Kevin

I've tried prying the open button up, I suspect what has happened is that the car hitting the open button has bent a tab that is slotted into the open button and the remove button and is attached to the key.

I think how it works is when you turn the key these tabs are turned and slide out of the buttons. The buttons have been pushed hard and the tabs now won't move so the key won't turn.

Zebee

zebee,
I think your right that the tabs have been bent , unfortunatly to remove the lock the screws are on the inside. Could you remove the pins that hold the hinge for the lid on , the pins push into a blind hole but maybe you can cut the end off to push the pin through, then maybe get a screwdriver on the screws, prognosis- I think your going to have to buy a new top box.
Kevin

Even if you get into the box in a tidy manner; It's still broke. Broke is broke. Be happy your still alive to fuss about it and have the ability to hoist a drink. Get a new one.

Cheers.

PS you might want to check all Tupperware inside for cracks that may have been caused by this horrible accident plus neck pain and the sudden loss of libido. ;) (Not joking about the Tupperware though)

Did the rear tire take any sort of bump ?

Red Norge the faster and reliable one :evil:

Took it up to Dave Ward to have a look.

The mudguard has a crease/crack/weak spot so that's being replaced. We got into the topbox via wriggling and squeezing and persuading the key, I'll claim on that anyway as it's not as good as it was after sailing across a lane of traffic. (JSG says not in stock and no ETA from Italy, ain't it always the way?)

On the whole the bike seems to ahve done OK. There were suggestions made by bystanders about things that could be claimed for but my left little toe is still an honest bone (The only one in my body...) and it declined.

I have no idea if the back wheel was hit, there's no sign of problems in the drivetrain. The rack was a bit bent so I suspect that the impact was much higher - this being a landcruiser - so the wheel wasn't involved.

Zebee

Back