• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

tip over valve removal

grimace

Tuned and Synch'ed
any pics or guides on this? doing the charcoal canister tomorrow might as well do this too.

Is the tip over valve giving you problems?
If not why disconnect it?
It's like the side stand switch, a good safety device. Unlike some others I think they are a good idea.
Maybe some other people haven't had a near death experience in the old days because a sidestand was left down when riding.
A dumb mistake I know but nobody is perfect.

Can't see the point of changing things if there isn't a benefit.

pressurized gas tank, high idle around 1500rpm and poor cold start. just reading around it seems removal of this might help.

Unless I'm missing something the tip-over 'valve' is simply a ball bearing in a box with a metal 'V' inside. The ball acts as a contact and if the contact is broken for more than a couple of seconds it'll kill fuel and spark.

Can't see how this can have any effect on the idle which is far more likely to be connected to the TB's having both screws open. As far as the gas tank pressurization is concerned I'd be checking the breather valve is in the right way round and that no hoses are pinched.

I have heard anecdotal evidence of the evaporative canister causing problems but we haven't had these in Oz up until 2010 so my only experience has been with my Griso Pinko in the US which had all the 'Crap' on it and ran faultlessly???

I'd make sure it is serviced and tuned properly before I started ripping stuff off. If you want to get rid of the canister 'cos it's ugly, (It didn't bother me.) that's another issue and if it offends you? Go for your life! But do first ensure that everything else is right before blaming the tip over switch or the canister for odd running.

Pete

Had the 600 mile service done including throttle body sync. I've only had the bike out twice this year since winter has been hanging on so long. First ride the bike started right up. Second one i got a bit of stalling until it warmed up. Maybe just old gas. Runs fine once warm. The only things that i've noticed is the idle is a bit high 1500rpm but maybe this is normal for a guzzi? My other bikes all kept around 1000 rpm. Fuel light comes on a bit early like 90 miles from fill up. Maybe needs more running in. My vespa engine took 4000miles. Gas tank sucks in quite a bit of air when opened. Don't know if this is good or bad. Maybe i'll just ride the bike today and tinker later.

Tip-over valves have caused no end of trouble for Stelvio owners, but maybe this has not been an issue with other Guzzi models. I had the paint bubbling experience around the gas cap on my Stelvio. The painted piece was replaced, I took the guts out of the tipover valve, and the problem was solved. I would not have disassembled the tipover valve had it not been for that issue, though. I agree that, in theory, they are a good idea.

Bruce

I think this is the valve in question. Not the tip over valve, but it has caused pressure build up in my Griso and V7C.
We just removed the valve and canister from my V7C, and some of the lines had gas in them.

Attachments

• valve.JPG
    valve.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 591
Well just went for a ride today since the sun was out. A nice balmy 53 degrees. But I did read some of the stelvio threads on the valves. The griso ran okay today. still idles a bit higher than 1000 rpms and took a few minutes to warm up but no stalling.
Motofugazzi did you just remove that whole hose, cut it short or just remove the white cylinder part.

Ahhhhh! That isn't what I'd call the tip over valve. it's the tank breater non return valve and they ARE notorious for giving trouble.the same bit of shit installed wrongly on Manas gauses the tanks to inflate and the rear tyre wears through them!!!! I don't see any need to remove the canister but if it is an easy way to gat rid of that horrid thing and all the plumbing why not?

Incidentally 11-1200 is the correct value for idle. Is this bike a 2V or a 4V? If its a 4V make sure it gets the #68 map. That helps a lot with the cold start stalling issue.

Pete.

I have the 2010 8v. Wasn't sure about the idle since it is my first guzzi. The tank does make a lot of noise when
i fill it up. Probably go for a couple more tanks before I do anything. supposed to hit 80 this sunday so a bit more riding in the next couple of days.

grimace said:
Well just went for a ride today since the sun was out. A nice balmy 53 degrees. But I did read some of the stelvio threads on the valves. The griso ran okay today. still idles a bit higher than 1000 rpms and took a few minutes to warm up but no stalling.
Motofugazzi did you just remove that whole hose, cut it short or just remove the white cylinder part.

I removed the valve and replaced it with a brass hose coupler from the hardware store. I'm sure plastic would be fine, but they didn't have the correct size. At least I know that brass is fuel resistant.

Luckily, I was at Rosefarm Classics today, and I was reading this post as Jim was working on the canister and hoses for it. I also thought this was the tip over valve, but Jim showed me where the tip over assembly was. I took a pic of the non return valve so others would know as well. I wonder how many of us thought it was the tip over valve? That's the benefit of going to a knowledgeable mechanic.

Ken

Fugazzi,
Well done that will clear up a lot of confusion.
It made no sense that the tip over valve would cause problems with the performance as the engine basically works or it doesn't, if the tip over valve/switch is activated.
This type of device is utilised in a lot of automotive applications and serves the purpose of preventing dangerous situations in accidents buy cutting fuel and electrical supply.

Mark

What's the trick to removing and reusing those funny little hose clamps? I removed the canister tonight and will take a short cruise in the morning to see how it runs. Stalling issues today when cold and when hot. Tank still seemed under quite a bit of pressure.

Took out the valve today since the tank still sucked a lot of air. Blowing through that valve the way it was installed was very hard. Maybe it was upside down. But it's gone now.

Back