• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tires for 2007 Griso

alanp

Tuned and Synch'ed
Boring subject I know, but I am about to finally get rid of the stock Metzlers and am looking for suggestions. With the Metzlers, the Griso is difficult to turn at low speed and the front tire wants to "turn in" toward full lock, have to fight it. At normal/high speed, the bike just doesn't fall into turns easily.
I have Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my Norge and love them. None of the above issues on the Norge.

In addition to general feedback, I have two questions:
1. Has anybody tried Pilot Pures, which are supposed to be 2 lbs. lighter? Lower mass would be good, but at what cost to durability?
2. Somebody mentioned in another thread liking Pilot Road 3's on a Griso, but the Michelin website doesn't even list the PR3 as an option for the Griso?

I'm still using the old Pilot roads on my XJR 1300 and Truimph sprint 900, think they are briliant, not tried them on the Griso 07 yet, still got the Metzlers on it but I do recognize your complaint, are your Metzlers a bit worn out ? cos I think my griso handled better when the tyres where new, not that my ones are really worn out but they are going that way and they are 4 years old.

Alan - I HATE the Metzelers with a passion.

However, the problems you describe with pulling in etc sounds like suspension setup to me. The stock suspension settings are absolutely diabolical. If you haven't adjusted them, do it as a priority!

Yes, I was just thinking that it sounded like the suspension.

I have just put a Pilot Road 3 on the rear of my G12. I got in touch with Michelin and they said it was fine to use it. I haven't put enough miles on it yet to push it, but it's nice to get back to a round profile as the previous rear had squared off.

In fact, I got in touch with them to check it would be alright in combination with the Pilot Road 2 on the front as that still has some tread left.

I got 7000+ miles from the Pilot Road 2 rear, compared with 3500 from the original Metzeler M3.

David

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I should check the suspension first, and I know a guy locally that has good reputation doing setups, so I am going to check it out.

As for tires, I will probably go with Michelins just because my personal experience on other bikes has been so good. What is the difference between the Pilot Road 2's and 3's?

Alan,
Unlike others I've never had a problem with the stock M3 Metzlers on my 8v Griso and never encountered the issues you refer to, maybe the road conditions in OZ and my riding is different to others. I have just replaced them because they were knackered and have now fitted the new Metzler Sportec M5 version which have so far been terrific and perform better then the old M3 version.
The problem I had with my bike was setup, when I got it, it was all over the place and making various adjustments didn't help.
Thinking about it I figured that the Guzzi engineers and test riders might just happen to know a bit about how the bike should work, so I went back to the base settings outlined in the owners manual and voila the bike was a revelation. Having a sound base setting I have subsequently made some further adjustments to fine tune it to suit me but I only change one thing at a time and test it before making any further adjustments. If you adjust more then one thing each time you never know which one has made the difference whether it is good or bad.
My suggestion work out what tyres you want, let's face any of the quality brands will have something that will work well, secondly get your suspension guy to help you with a good base setting and then if you need more you can make minor adjustments to fine tune for your needs.
It worked for me.

Mark

Normally I'm a Michelin guy, but I'm having a good experience with Dunlop's RoadSmart tires.

Bought a new-to-me 2007 Griso and have put about 1000 miles on it.
It came with Roadsmarts. These are tires I would not have purchased on my own,
but they are working well.

They're comfortable and quiet on the super slab.
And they're neutral and confidence-inspiring in the canyons.

They do require commited input from the handle bar at lower speeds, but I suspect that's mainly due to the Griso's wheel base and heft.

The RoadSmarts are especially nice when you're on the throttle in the sweepers.
I still plan to fit Michelin's on the Griso to see how I like them.
But if you find RoadSmarts for a good price, they're worth a try.

Beaufort

Pilot Pure's are a lighter tyre, so you will have to look at suspension setting to compensate.

A friend of mine put them on his Hyabusa and hated them with a passion. he complained that once a certain lean angle was arrived at the bike felt like it wanted to fall over :huh:

While I like the Pure's, I don't think the Griso is a bike they are suited for and I am not sure I would mount them on a Griso.
I have the PR2's, the PR3's are the next version.

On my 06 1100 I use a Pirelli Diablo Strada (superceded with Diablo Rosso) on the rear and a Pirelli Diablo Rosso on the front. Easy 10 and 15 000 K's respectively.Im no Wayne Gardner but I dont dawdle about the place either.The tyres warm up pretty quick,have good wet grip and you can feel what they are doing wet or dry. They also keep the bike sunny side up.

I went through the original tires in about 4 months (5000 Km) and then bought Pirelli Diablos, then another model of Metzler, then another model of Pirelli's and finally a set of Michelin Pilot Power front and rear and am more happy with these (so far) than than any of the others. I ride mostly in the mountains (OK, really really big hills) so the harder center never has a chance to wear but the softer sides become slicks.
Of course, results may vary as past performance is not a good indicator of future trends.....bla bla bla words
But I Like 'em.
Hope you find what works for you, Kalo dromo, as they say here. (good roads)
David

Hi,
I have a G12 and still my original Metzeler Sportec M3 onto my bike.
But the grooves are getting less deep quite fast :cool: , my bike has done 6700 km (~4200mls) till now.
I like these tires, but I'm thinking to put Michelin Pilot Road 3 onto my bike.
You think it's a good choice?
I like a lot of grip and the tirewear to a minimum... :laugh:
With what kind of tire are you other Griso riders driving?
And how long does your tires stand?
Please, share this with us.
Thanks.
Ad

I am still running on stock Pirelli Scorpion Sync at 12,500km (~7800miles). The front is wearing faster than the rear, I reckoned the front will hit those TWI bars at around 16,000km (10,000miles) and the rear will probably last until 20,000km (12,500miles).

Currently I am inclined towards Metzeler Roadtec Z6 INTERACT.

Phang

I don't know Phang. If you have and can get that kind of mileage with the stock Perelli Scorpions I'd have another set of them on order and ready to go on. From what I understand the Scorpions stick very well and by your post, last well too.

Mark

Mark, I am pretty satisfied with the Pirelli Scorpion Sync but due to the small motorcycle market over here, the choices of tires are very limited. The Pirellis available locally are sport bike bias.

My previous R1150R had the Metzeler Z6, it had the same level of grip if not better and last as long. I guess any tires will be fine for me due to my conservative riding habit :)

Phang

I`ve managed to get 10,000 miles out of my Dunlop Roadsmarts, with a few thousand left in the rear, but the front is totally fucked. The front started drifting out on me about 2,000 miles ago and it don`t half make your sphincter pucker.
I thought I was pushing too hard `cos there was tread left in the tyre. But no, it`s fucked and riding in the rain made me decide, "Buy more Roadsmarts".
Wheels are off as I write this. Ordered at Wattling tyres yesterday, getting them fitted on way to work tomorrow. Not cheap at £239 a pair, fitted, but worth every penny.

I've got an 07 G11, the original Rennsports gripped well but wore out quickly - 1700 miles out of the back and twice that from the front. Tried Roadsmarts and liked them, plenty of grip and good in the wet. The rear was squared of by 3500 miles and needed replaced around the 4k mark. Currently running Pilot Road 2's and prefer them to the Dunlops. Loads of grip wet or dry and wearing better than the Dunlops. The back has done 4k and is just starting to square of slightly but should have a fair bit of life left in it, front hardly looks worn, so a thumbs up from me for the Michelins.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have mounted a set of Pilot Road 2's, and like the way they handle. The bike is much easier to manouver at slow speeds. I know from previous experience they will give me good mileage. All is well.

I have had Bridgestone BT021 and now 023 on my 07 Griso. Superb ride and great turn in feel. The wear has been very good as I am getting a solid 4,000 miles out before the square off feel bothers me. Interesting, the front wears quicker than on my other bikes.

Back