• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tires

FrostBittenCanadian

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hello All; The Stelvios that are here in Canada come equipped with Pirelli Scorpions. Being paranoid from previous experience with stock tires on Motorcycles,anyone out there with any comments as to performance of this particular rubber. Basically are they any good? in the wet or dry.
Thanks.

Yes they are excellent! Work well in all conditions- hard wearing too. I will get another set as soon as mine wear out.

Really Thanks good to know. Things must have changed ( I was hoping ) since I last bought a bike. Yeah, it's been 18 years.

I got 6300 miles out of mine, but that was a lot of motorway riding so they had a lot of flat area. I'm not intending on going off road, apart from when I ride round the garden to get it facing the right way, so I've fitted a dual compound Battle axe BT020 on the back. Should, according to web info, give me around 8k miles, we'll see..............still looking ok at 10 k.

Ref Rubber.... The standard boots are excellent, they give brilliant feed back in dry and wet, I even rode throught some massive flash floods last weekend (on my now second Stelvio) going down to Devon. I will when these wear out replace with the same, very good tire indeed.

One thing some critics of the brand fail to mention is that all Guzzi's come equipped with first class rubber, unlike some far eastern brands entry level bikes.

Great tires too I think. About their life expectancy it all depends on the roads you ride on. The more curvy the less life, and it also depends on the kind of surface. Smooth or abrasive. Of course Highway or city riding won't do much harm compared to a mountain area.

A guy here in Italy (lots of curvy roads...) just replaced his second set of tires in 16000 kilometers wich should be about 9000 miles

Stelvio and her tyres seem to be very sensitive about tarmac and whrist!

I like them too! 9000 km with the rear tyre and still doing with the front one (almost 13.000 km now). Good in any conditions, so I keep it that way!

After almost 15 thousand kilometres I need a new front tyre. I think that's very reasonable. I choose the same Pirelli, cause I like them a lot.

How many kilometres do you all ride with your tyres?

Ummmm, what about the boys that wanna ride, ahhh, off-road a bit. I thought that was one reason, a big one , they developed the Stelvio. Am I reading correctly that Pirelli considers the Scorpion a dual-purpose tire ??

What about a rear wheel that will take the same tires as, say, hmm, a GS ! I see thats whats on the "TT." I imagine one of those wheels would set you back about $1800 if you could even order it. I guess Buchanans could lace up a proper rim but would it be tubeless ? I doubt it.

Hi Mann
I must say: if you think a 1200cc, 251kg motorcycle with panniers, top box, screen and a rear 180/55/17 sound like a good recipe for off roading you must be a little potty or possibly very optimistic:) .

Go get yourself a DR350 and rip the dirt up, saving your Stelvio for more road orientated anticks:laugh:

Loftyjohn

PS. I think the OEM pirellis are a super tyre:)

Oh good lord have mercy. Im on my 4th BMW GS thats just as big and heavy and I take it many many times on off-road treks.

Thats what the Stelvio was supposed to be copying, wasnt it ?? I have a DR350 dirtbike and, sure, theyre better for very rough offroad but the idea of a big enduro is to comfortably get you wayy off for remote dirtroad/trail exploration.

In spite of all the reliability problems of the BMW, Im beginning to think I need to perservere and stick with something thats truly made for the job.

Hi Mann
I can't fault your desire for off roading, I agree, my previous bike was a XRV750 Africa twin, sublime but getting old and long in the tooth now.
I would suggest the KTM 990 Adventure is probleby the best suited big trailey for offroad adventuring:)
The Stelvio is a big beastie but it's cycle parts are a little flimsy:(

Loftyjohn

Not that we need more testimonial to the Pirelli Scorpions, but I will add mine anyway. Here in Nevada, it is a state law that 25% of the roads must be torn up and in a state of repair at all times. So we never know when the "Off-road" excursion will begin. I had the Scorpion on the back of my Centauro....no lightweight dirt bike....and it performed admirably both on and off pavement.

Of course it is an 80/20 tire, with the bias toward paved road but is fine for dirt roads.

Back