• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tits up in the shop

nomad

Tuned and Synch'ed
Well the weather just wasn't going to warm up enough for the roads to clear of ice or snow in a hurry so I bit the bullet and trailered the Stelvio into Ussel some 50 miles to have the Moto Guzzi Dealer take the lid off and see what all the noise was about.

The-Lovely-Wendy helped me push it onto the trailer and get is secured ready for the journey. I hate trailering bikes I always feel that they should be ridden and trailering them always makes them feel different when I get back on it the suspension seems different... I know it is just me but hey.

stelviotr.jpg

Anyway I got there no problems besides all the damn salt on the roads which is destined to eat my bike alive while MG head office approve any work and send out any parts required.

Once the head was off and some farkling about it was quickly discovered that the rocker has warn sufficiently to cause concern, I now await Moto Guzzi's verdict on how to proceed.

stelvious.jpg

The dealer is a top bloke and will take this up under warranty for me even though it is a UK registered bike - fair enough as it generally doesn;t pay him much to especially when he didn't even sell it to me. I know he should anyway as a dealer but I would have understood if he had sent me packing ;) so I am greatful to him.

I will keep you appraised as and when I hear anything...

Sorry to see that again Nomad, I'm getting flash backs to mine. MG should have the complete new cam assembly's back to you in a week, they knpow the problem now and send parts asap. Not offering antexplanation yet though. The cam issue has gone abit quiet lately, unlike the cams, lol. Probably 'cause most Guzzi's are wrapped up in their garages. Mine included while the salts down. Just turned 4k on the Pan in the last10 weeks though.........keepon riding 365,,,,yeaaaaaaaa

Guzzi italy won't send parts as they are closed, not only the factory. I know because I wanted to order some parts in England, and was told that they even can't order becuase it's all closed. But maybe there is a stock of rockers in England?

pauldaytona wrote:
Guzzi italy won't send parts as they are closed, not only the factory. I know because I wanted to order some parts in England, and was told that they even can't order becuase it's all closed. But maybe there is a stock of rockers in England?

Lets hope they are open again now and that there are parts in France ;)

Warranty things are handled through a website run by Piaggio nowadays, and Piaggio should be open even if it's extremely likely that they closed for the holidays.

I am not in too much of a hurry - would like to get it back before the 15th Feb this year as plan to ride with 10 military Harley Dee's who are doing a charity ride from Munster (D) to Timbucktu and overnighting with us on the 16th be nice to ride down a bit with them...

Looking at the rocker part I don't see it being much of a problem to repair, no not sure what all the fuss is about, I hope once replaced it lasts considerably longer (say the life of the bike) and especially hope that the other pot doesn't develope the same problem...

Hopefully I caught it before it did any other damage to the valves...

Given that there has been some history that has developed with this same problem on the 8V
I would insist the other side getting the latest part also. It is strange that we or I haven't heard about similar trouble on the US imported 8V's

Piaggio should send the bits oh-so-quick.

Get the other side done to.

If they're sending new, 'different' parts then both sides shoukld be done. Mine sounded real crap on the left pot........but the right side was worn more

The Griso's have also had the same problem.

.......Even in Australia

And as I've stated before Gary there is still no definitive answer to the question of why it is occuring. Lots of ideas and suppositions but nothing concrete. All I'm trying to do is head off the 'Sky is Falling' brigade because the sky isn't falling, there have been a few failures and so far no explanation, that's all.

Does anybody know if there have been further failures on machines that have had the parts replaced? If not then it does sound as if it was a batch/manufacturing fault. Thing is that if it was you'd expect failures to be in series in sequential Vin #'s and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Pete

I am going to take a wild guess being a very old cycle mechanic...........

What we know....

Not all the failures are are in a row (vin #'s).
Not all 8V motors are failing (Griso vs Stelvio).
It is not contained to one side of the motor over the other.
The cams / adjusters are failing.

My guess......

An oiling problem......

These bits and pieces are far away from the oil pump, old air head BMW's had this problem many, many years ago, more recently HD had this issue with the 1450 motor. It was not the oil pump per say but bad machining or lack of removing metal chips and bits from the oil passages......hence the oil never got to where it was supposed to.

I could be way off base, but has anyone checked the oiling systems of these failed bikes, especially the one that took a dump twice (over there in Eroupe somewhere).

I would love a new Stelvio but until they sort out this random problem I am keeping my money in my pocket. Here in the US Piaggio is not even attending the motorcycle show in one of the most reccession proof markets .....Washington DC. No wonder the dealers over on this side of the pond can't give a Guzzi away.

Was talking to my local dealer last night who is very well established and has been working on Guzzis for years.

He has had one failure on a Stelvio so far. He talked this through with the rep from Piaggio who thought it was due to a faulty batch of parts, but they are not sure exactly which VINs are affected. Most failures have occured around the 5000 miles mark.

I would not read into this as a definite conclusion, but speculation at this stage.

The procedure on affected bikes is to replace parts in both cylinders.

There is a dealer meeting later this week- he may find out more then.

How much mileage does your bike have nomad? I'm approaching the 7000km mark and getting a bit nervous :laugh:

Blaise, don't! Ride her, but check the clearances (or have them checked) just to be sure and as Pete Roper suggests. I'd offer to help with that the 1st weekend of February, but I've never done it (either?) ... Then again if you're up to it and willing to get the tools (and let me taste some of that interesting bottle of jenever I happen to know you've got somewhere :D :D :D ), I'd be more than willing to drop by and get my hands dirty! It's supposed to be easy...

(I could dye my beard gray, put on an old pair of bigger glasses, my Guzzi cap, and we'll pretend I'm a locally famous house-calling Guzzi do-it-all! :D :silly: )

Well I don't know if I'll be there at that date but if I am, why not?!
I got that bottle on the side for you!:laugh:
The only thing is that I am a nerd as far as touching the inside of a motor!
Also where do I find the gauges needed (I suppose) to check what we need to check!?
What else do I need? (I've got basic tools...)

:)

Are you sure you're using the right term? Being a nerd would imply you could do this operation eyes closed... (check out the various nerd tests on the internet :silly:)

I suppose you can find the tools needed at any (bigger) Cardy, or your dealer — or probably any self-respecting automotive repair shop. I'm not really sure about the 8V motor, but if I'm not mistaken the earlier Guzzi motors can all be serviced with generic tools, at least for the more common operations.
What you'd need: have a look in the thread by Pete on tappet adjustment, I think it must have all the info needed (if not, ask there). Check in particular whether or not the use of a torque wrench is required, recommended or proscribed!
I'd gladly take care of that, but as you know I have a concours to prepare for next week :S

Wonder B , RJVB, your getting me worried with alll this tool talk,
enjoy the bottle and let the dealer check the clearances. It'll only cost an hour, tops, 25 Euro's.
Qualiyt tools will cost ten times that.

Back