• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

To buy or not to buy

gaurushab

Tuned and Synch'ed
Howdy folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster, Looking for advice to help me get through pre-purchase jitters on a new Griso SE.

My local dealer has a 2012 Black Devil which looks awesome but I have two concerns:

1. Model Year - Since it is almost September, should I pull the trigger on a 2012 now or am I better off waiting for the 2013 model ? When do the next year MG models usually hit showrooms ? Also, is there any info on what will be new for 2013 (if anything)?

2. Color - The Tenni seems to be THE color on the Griso. It looks fantastic in pictures but I haven't seen it physically. I can get a Tenni shipped from out of state but is it worth the extra $$ and hassle compared to the Black Devil ? Color choices are subjective but I am curious to hear comparisons from those who have see both - preferably side by side.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome. Sorry I haven't seen both but I have to say that BLACK Grisos are the best looking to me. They look more GRISO.

Seems you haven't come across the thread(s) posted by fellas waiting for their 2012 models. The US gets model year models 1 year plus after they are released in EU. If you really like it go for it, never know what MG will do. It may be discontinues or the same exact bike will be offed for 2013.

good luck on you new purchase.

The Green SE is the colour scheme that grabbed me. Black is so common that it is hardly worth noticing but that is just me. A bike colour is highly personal so you go with what grabs you.

I chose a black Griso over the Tenni SE. The green paint looks dull and uninteresting. There must be something wrong with me I guess...

Regardless, the Griso will stand out in any colour. That Black Devil looks pretty good to me...

As those wise men said . . . color is just so personal. I don't like black bikes, myself, yet I have a black Honda Pan-American, because that's what was available when I was in the mood. But that black Griso looks pretty damned good. Go with your heart, because it's a good motorcycle in any color.

Having said that you could not go far wrong waiting to see what the next model year brings, because if you didn't care for it, you surely could find a black Griso without too much trouble.

Thank you all for the great advice. I will probably go back for another look at the Black Devil. Hopefully that will push me over the edge. Something that has started bugging me though is that as I read through these forums, I see a lot of people having issues with water getting into the ECU, blown fuses, gear noises, inexperienced mechanics etc. I realize some of it is to be expected, and things often get amplified out of proportion in forums, but how bad is it really (especially on the new models)? I mean I am a pretty hands-on guy but i'd rather spend my weekends on the bike than beside it.

gaurushab said:
I see a lot of people having issues with water getting into the ECU, blown fuses, gear noises, inexperienced mechanics etc. I realize some of it is to be expected, and things often get amplified out of proportion in forums, but how bad is it really (especially on the new models)? I mean I am a pretty hands-on guy but i'd rather spend my weekends on the bike than beside it.

I did 25k miles on my Griso 1100 and now I've done about the same miles on my G12 8v. Both serviced by good dealers on schedule and apart from purely routine stuff & fitting accessories I've never had to lay a spanner on either of them myself. The only warranty claims were for a cracked exhaust 'S' mid-pipe & a speedo sensor on the 1100. Only water related issues were that speedo sensor (replacement sealed properly so perfect) and on my current G12 8v slight condensation in the dashboard display which I fixed by opening, allowing to dry and sealing with silicone.

Get a feel for 2013 pricing as it may be even lower than 2012 assuming no discount for moving the 2012 off the floor. In any event, get on a Griso (black IMHO) as soon as you can.

gaurushab said:
I see a lot of people having issues with water getting into the ECU, blown fuses, gear noises, inexperienced mechanics etc. I realize some of it is to be expected, and things often get amplified out of proportion in forums, but how bad is it really (especially on the new models)? I mean I am a pretty hands-on guy but i'd rather spend my weekends on the bike than beside it.
You have to discount the negative posting bias (unhappy folks typically post their issues; happy folks typically don't post that they're having a great time). Coming up on 18K happy miles here with a single issue: faulty insulation on plug cables, a well known and easy/cheap fix that was caused by user error.

I would like to report that I am having a great time :D

The only niggles I had with my bike ('09) involved the speedo sensor and the o-rings in the spark plug tunnel.

If I were buying today I would make sure the bike has the revised head/cam castings that did away with the fussy o-ring setup.

The speedo sensor has been replaced by a water resistant part AFAIK.

DW

guzziownr said:
If I were buying today I would make sure the bike has the revised head/cam castings that did away with the fussy o-ring setup

Thanks for the info. How do I make sure ? What should I ask/look for specifically ? Should I just ask the dealer and take his word for it or is there a more definitive way to check ?

Go with what you like but, I think it's been scientifically proven that the red one is the fastest.

I have things I don't like about mine, but maybe it's a case of too high expectations. Sure is purdy though.

it's been scientifically proven that the red one is the fastest
My dealer has assured me that the Black Devil will be faster or he will gladly refund my money :D

I talked with Terry at Piaggio customer care yesterday. He was surprisingly helpful. He looked up the VIN# and confirmed it's a late 2012 model with no outstanding recalls (I am assuming/hoping it means the cam and speedo parts are the latest and greatest). He also said that the Black Devil color scheme will continued in to the 2013 model year (which he expects to arrive in Dec-Jan). He didn't have any other info on 2013.

The advice from you all has restored my confidence. I am going to take the wife to the dealership for a final approval this weekend. Looks like we will be coming back with a new baby girl (and I have a feeling this one will turn out to be my favorite out of all my kids ;) )

gaurushab said:
Placed order. Taking delivery tomorrow morning. It's going to be a long night.

I guess you couldn't wait till the weekend, or wanted to surprise your wife with her anniversary present :D

I guess you couldn't wait till the weekend, or wanted to surprise your wife with her anniversary present :D
actually the bike's a bday gift from my wife (isn't she the best wife ever?). I wanted to get it in before I did (or didn't do) something that would change her mind :mrgreen:

gaurushab said:
Placed order. Taking delivery tomorrow morning. It's going to be a long night.
Congrats! Welcome to the Famiglia. Be ready for your worst addiction. Take pictures when you pick it up... if you need help posting, send them to me direct; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Congrats on the purchase!! These bikes have their glitches and can be a little fussy at times but are well worth it when it comes to the fun factor.

-Jeremy

gaurushab said:
actually the bike's a bday gift from my wife (isn't she the best wife ever?). I wanted to get it in before I did (or didn't do) something that would change her mind :mrgreen:

Let me know if you ever decide to get divorced. A woman who buys her husband motorcycles shouldn't go unappreciated.

Congrats.

Now if M-G would just hurry up the delivery on the Griso I have on order, life will be good.

Back