• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

to the Palo Duro Canyon, Texas

Daniel Kalal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Highway 136 between Guymon, OK and Borger, TX is not ever going to be busy.
photo003.JPG

Panhandle, Texas (home of the Panthers)
photo005.JPG

The Palo Duro Canyon is such an unexpected thing to come across (at the bottom of the canyon is the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River). I've always liked this area. For several miles, the highway follows this spine as it drops to the bottom.
photo012.JPG

The Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River.
photo017.JPG

photo019.JPG

Briscoe County, Texas.
photo020.JPG

Dropping down into Quitaque, Texas.
photo022.JPG

An interesting low-tech approach to harnessing the wind.
photo025.JPG

Hardeman County, Texas.
photo030.JPG

Needless to say, there is very little traffic on this farm-to-market Texas road.
photo031.JPG

Crossing the Red River into Oklahoma (that's Texas on the right, Oklahoma on the left).
photo032.JPG

The Elm Fork of the Red River.
photo033.JPG

Hammon, Oklahoma.
photo035.JPG

Harper County, Oklahoma.
photo042.JPG

Coldwater, Kansas
photo045.JPG

photo046.JPG

Barber County, Kansas on a cold and windy Sunday morning.
photo057.JPG

Hey Daniel,

As always, great pics.
I camped at Palo Duro once, and found a great museum in a nearby town. I think it was called Coalville, or something similar. It was an oilfield museum, and even had a bunch of dinosaur bones from that area.

What's 'cold' for you, Daniel? It doesn't look cold in those pics ... the light is completely different than the one we get here!

DSC01525_6_7.jpg

DSC01533_4_5b.jpg

DSC01548_49_50.jpg

(not sure if HDR photos are the best for capturing Vermeer-style light!)

RJVB wrote:
What's 'cold' for you, Daniel? It doesn't look cold in those pics ...

It was generally in the 30s for the days I was riding, although at times it would climb to the mid-forties. I won't argue that people haven't ridden when it's colder, but cold is cold...

Daniel,

I always enjoy your photos, plan to be doing the same out here in New Mexico once I get my loop fettled. If I went out today I could take snow photos.:) Maybe see you out there somewhere.

That wind generator actually makes more sense to me than the big props we typically see in wind farms, since it can easlly be spun from all directions without having to be reoriented. IIRC there's a company in New Zealand that makes those vertical generators, but they haven't caught on here.

RJVB , that lovely light reminds me of the light in the Northeast US where I grew up.

Fun venture Daniel, thanks as always for your post here.

cd, you doing the Outlaw Ride with the group end of next month? Details on the Southwest Forum, at the top.

The Minister recons that the light here in Oz is different between sunny sub tropical / tropical Queensland (where we live) and the southern state of Victoria which is defferent again from Tasmania even further south, for my part I'm happy that the light comes and goes every 24 hours :unsure: , but indeed we do have a frequently played song on local radio here entitled "Good Light in Broome" which is in the far north west of the country.

It took me a long time to see the difference in the quality of light from place to place, but after several years I finally saw it, and it is one of those interesting features of pics form other parts of the world that go to make up the fascination of motocycle travel, as always great pics Daniel.

The Red river looks interesting - is it a seasonal river? it looks low at the time of your trip in comparison to the size of the river bed.

Cold can be deceptive, here in Oz the view can be of parched spinifex desert, but below freezing at night.

Back