• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tool Tip Thread

Hawghauler

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I presume many of you are tool junkies and work on your own equipment either at home or professionally. I love having the right tool for the right job and take pride in keeping my tool arsenal in perfect condition. I am still using tools that are in fabulous condition that I have had since 1974. Here are some of my tips in no particular order of importance, and would love to see you add to them.

1. Always return your torque wrench to zero after use
  2. Keep your calibration tools calibrated
  3. Store tools in climate controlled room
  4. Remove battires from electric tools when in long storage
  5. Wipe hand tools with a clean rag and a light coat of fresh oil
  6. Keep the tools clean always
  7. Quality name brand tools are better and cheaper than cheap tools
  8. People who don't borrow or lend tools keep friends longer
  9. Loan your help, not your tools
  10. Garage sales and Craigslist are awesome sources of tool bargains
  11. A great vise is worth its weight in gold
  12. A ratchet is not a hammer, a vise is not an anvil, a screwdriver is not a chisel
  13. Old vises are better than new ones, but Wilton still makes a great vise
  14. Your tool bench belongs to you and the wife should never ever touch it
  15. Your cat will sleep on the bench, get used to it
  16. A good shop radio is a tool
  17. Drain your compressor daily
  18. Good tool truck salesmen are freaking heroes
  19. If you invested more in the box than you did in the tools, you aren't a mechanic
  20. You can never have enough light
  21. Tool warranties do not cover stupidity
A few of my favorite brands in no particular order
  1. Snap-On
  2. Wright
  3. Klein
  4. Lang
  5. Wilton
  6. S-K
  7. Mayhew
  8. Williams
  9. Mac
  10. Quincy

I disagree on refusing to loan tools, among professionals at least. As a shop owner, my network of local colleagues who share knowledge, experience and yes, occasional speciality tools is priceless.

So then, my tool tip tonight:

If you borrow a tool twice, you have to go buy your own.

Back