• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tool tube

bigtex

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
While waiting for my seat to come back from the saddle guy, I whipped up a tool tube to fill the space on the right side of the pannier racks. I usually carry a small batch of tools for myself and others, and I wanted to be able to ditch the bags and still have my tools handy.

I used a length of 4" ABS pipe and some aluminum straps.

tooltube001.jpg

Bolted to the bike with a couple of vertical straps that use the existing bolts and holes (I love adding and fabbing stuff, and always give myself extra points if I can do it cleanly without altering or drilling the stock works at all).

tooltube002.jpg

tooltube011.jpg

Works pretty good, holds all of this:

tooltube009.jpg

tooltube010.jpg

tooltube012.jpg

Nice bigtex, blends in well and looks the part.
I also got a 41 year old Morris car which I carry a few tools in , but cant for the life understand the need to carry tools on a brand new bike. All my 'character breakdowns have needed mega tools or sensors.

Looks good Tex, The Oz forum on ADVRider did a group buy a while back on THIS TOOL TUBE HERE I've got one just waiting to fill the same spot you put yours.... now all I need is a Stelvio!

Gary wrote:
Nice bigtex, blends in well and looks the part.
I also got a 41 year old Morris car which I carry a few tools in , but cant for the life understand the need to carry tools on a brand new bike. All my 'character breakdowns have needed mega tools or sensors

You are quite correct, this is overkill for a new bike. HOWEVER, I did use a bunch of them at the national meet, when working with the MGUSA tech guy and we wanted to do some tweaking that including body panel removal. I'd rather have them and waste an infinitesimal bit of gas every mile than get in the middle of nowhere and need them and not have them.

Besides, sometimes I have to ride with Ducati riders and BMW riders and ...

Mike.C wrote:
Looks good Tex, The Oz forum on ADVRider did a group buy a while back on THIS TOOL TUBE HERE I've got one just waiting to fill the same spot you put yours.... now all I need is a Stelvio!

Yep, that is the hot ticket for sure. For me, it came down to having room for something even bigger. I probably could have fit 2 of those given the cavernous space we have on the Stelvios.

Of course, the really hot ticket would be a Mistral on one side, and a matching Mistral shell on the other side, hollowed out. But that is a project for another day.

I use mine for jumper cables, tire patch kit and a fuel bottle. Don't care if you don't like Guzzis, those are good things to have.

Someone suggested painting it blue and running a braided steel line to it, so it looked like a nitrous bottle. :laugh:

Plumbing from Home Depot, a simple steel strap, two large hose clamps, some paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0195s.JPG
    IMG_0195s.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 411
good idea! I suggest to use the tube as additional petrol tank. 3-4 Liters of petrol can help:)

What an excellent idea, hopefully I'll never need to open it but a few tools and a can of tyre weld never hurt.

Precisely! Anybody can zip tie a pre-tabbed tool tube, but true lunacy requires a design and a prototype and a static & dynamic stress analysis and a second prototype and ...

Of course, I guess some people just ride these things. :silly:

bigtex wrote:
Of course, I guess some people just ride these things. :silly:

I'm still relatively new to biking, and now ... riding tool tubes? I guess that piques my curiosity! :silly:

If I'm doing serious mileages I like to be as self sufficient as possible, tools / tyre weld etc can take up a lot of room and are a nuisance ,if you have to lug the panniers about packing and unpacking. Do you want to pay to be taken off a French motorway just because you didn't pack a few extra tools?
I agree with the over engineering nothing sentiment but could you make it any cheaper yourself if you had to buy the soil pipe etc?

I dunno about carrying extra gas in a saddlebag/tooltube. Had a buddy long ago, that used to carry about an extra half gallon of gas in a metal container. He strapped it on his Honda or stored it in one of his saddle bags. He almost never used it cause he was always worried about it leaking, exploding etc. Due to the increased vigilence we stopped for gas as often as needed. When he did use it, to start camp fires, fill his Zippo (!) or whatever, the container and his self would smell like gas. Afterword he couldn't/wouldn't put it IN a bag, and his concern about leaking/explosions etc increased due to the fumes.

In this case carrying extra gas didn't make the ride more carefree. I've since relied upon the 5 gallon can that came fromn the factory and fill up about every 100 or so. Plenty of insurance.

Alex

Usually I carry two 32 oz MSR fuel bottles strapped together with duct tape. They came in handy once when on the Stelvio during break-in, I wasn't sure how good the fuel gauge or reserve were, and I stopped off an interstate that advertised, (but didn't have any) premium gas. The next station and exit were 15-20 miles away. I could have filled up with regular, but instead poured the 2 quarts of gas in and said good bye. Filled up tank and bottles at the next exit without any suspense or drama.
They're also handy to help out a fellow biker who runs out of fuel.
The MSR bottles don't leak liquid or vapor, they're light, compact, and relatively easy to pour and fill. I like 'em.
One might even fit in the tube. They're maybe 3.5" - 4" diameter(??))

Tonerjockey wrote:
I dunno about carrying extra gas in a saddlebag/tooltube. Had a buddy long ago, that used to carry about an extra half gallon of gas in a metal container. He strapped it on his Honda or stored it in one of his saddle bags. He almost never used it cause he was always worried about it leaking, exploding etc. Due to the increased vigilence we stopped for gas as often as needed. When he did use it, to start camp fires, fill his Zippo (!) or whatever, the container and his self would smell like gas. Afterword he couldn't/wouldn't put it IN a bag, and his concern about leaking/explosions etc increased due to the fumes.

In this case carrying extra gas didn't make the ride more carefree. I've since relied upon the 5 gallon can that came fromn the factory and fill up about every 100 or so. Plenty of insurance.

Alex

I have an MSR fuel bottle. Very rugged and sealed very well. Wrapped in a rag and down in the tool tube. Not worries. I have had to use it already. I had a couple of 'I'm late for work' then 'I'll fill the tank the next day' commutes. On the third day I had to pull out the bottle of fuel to get to work. :eek:hmy:

msr_bottle_med.jpg

Back